Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty soon your doorbell will ring and you will find a postman/fireman/binman ... (change man to woman as appropriate) inviting you to purchase their 2014 calendar. Definitely a good idea to purchase them. I keep a few 5€ notes handy for same, but I certainly don't keep any wallspace free.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
You cheapskate ! ... oh yeah, you're a Scot! lol

We don't have binmen (kitty therefore goes further); postie is an absolute darling but does her job and that's it; fire(wo)men have excelled themselves, and we've had reason to call upon them on average about once a year - so they get 10E. They also have to trek a - granted not long - unlit path, with the risk of falling in the mill-race and stumbling over all the clutter I leave to deter would-be walkers, so I don't mind handing over the dosh.

The calendar provides fuel for the stove, ergo micro-therms :) I have, in the past, tried telling them not to give me the calendar (and receipt for my contribution), but that doesn't seem to work, so .... whatever makes them happy :)

h

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I don't mind giving to the postmistress, firemen or garbage collectors since the money they raise is for charitable purposes. Where I am from, the donations go into the pockets of the individuals as a Christmas bonus which, in the days before unions, provided the Christmas for the family. Now, well, things are different! Fortunately France has home up with a method of putting money into much needed charities. I have no objection! MS

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Well to be fair to the calendar they tell you when to celebrate Saint´s day and although almost no one goes to church anymore it is still a tradition to wish a bonnne fete to people so they come in handy once in a while. Without them I would have never known my fete was moved from October 8 to some time in July....to give room to more fashinnable saint of gaellic or arabic descent....

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I don't mind giving to the postmistress, firemen or garbage collectors since the money they raise is for charitable purposes. Where I am from, the donations go into the pockets of the individuals as a Christmas bonus which, in the days before unions, provided the Christmas for the family. Now, well, things are different! Fortunately France has home up with a method of putting money into much needed charities. I have no objection! MS
Don't think ours goes to charity, Maple - think it goes to their Xmas booze-up. Still, no complaints.

x

Reactions: fusil

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Yes, Hils is right, the money goes into the "social club".

In the UK I gave grudgingly to these people, saying that that they were paid to do their job etc etc. Perhaps I've mellowed a bit, and I always try to be helpful to the people in France. As we live in the mountains we buy a lot on the internet and our post lady is very helpful and bends the rules about leaving big parcels etc.

Clearly it's the custom in France to give some money to these people. As immigrants ( see other thread!) we should blend into the country and do what the locals do?

DejW

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Well to be fair to the calendar they tell you when to celebrate Saint´s day and although almost no one goes to church anymore it is still a tradition to wish a bonnne fete to people so they come in handy once in a while. Without them I would have never known my fete was moved from October 8 to some time in July....to give room to more fashinnable saint of gaellic or arabic descent....
Well, you do have a point. My Saint's Day is sometime in January and a) it was a bloke, and b) it seems to have been given to someone else now.

If I keep the calendar, it's really only for the joy I derive from the photos of fit young pompiers :D Last year's (ie for 2013) was a real disappointment - only had photos of their latest equipment! (tut ... those of you who think that I'm being smutty; I mean fire engines etc.!!!)

;)

Reactions: DizzyDorinda

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Now i am really disappointed!!
Lol! If I remember rightly, Bev actually posted in here her last year's "fit" sapeurs-pompiers calendar - you might have to do a bit of a search on the site to find it .... happy hunting.

:D

·
Administrator
50,002 Posts
Nah, I'm still trying to promote the idea of a "topless" pompier calendar here. It appears our local firefighters actually use their own pictures of their exploits - but it's a very "business like" calendar. (Oh well, I can always dream.)

Here, the poubel guys are usually the first out and around - and in early to mid-November. They generally save me any "donkey" calendars if they have them or give me first choice of their cat options. We're buddies with one of the guys who drives for the garbage company - though he changed routes a couple of years ago.

Then, we have a mailman who lives on our street. Again, his route was changed after he moved in, and the current "regular" mailman lives not far away and knows us. (He's taking English classes and practices by saying "hi" to me - but not much more.) The postal calendar has maps and other "almanac" like stuff in it, though it does seem to be pretty much the same stuff every year.

The pompiers are always the last to come by - sometimes after Christmas even, and when you buy a calendar you get a raffle ticket, though I've never heard who (if anyone) actually wins anything out of this raffle.

Still, my understanding is that the money goes toward either the employee himself (ours are all guys) or to their "social fund."
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Oh my God when I saw the thread I flashe back to a book I bought in Japantown in San Francisco one day. It was an origami book featuring all kinds of outfits for the special equipment of Japanese firemen! It was just hilarious, I bet that would have great success for New Year!

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Oh my God when I saw the thread I flashe back to a book I bought in Japantown in San Francisco one day. It was an origami book featuring all kinds of outfits for the special equipment of Japanese firemen! It was just hilarious, I bet that would have great success for New Year!
The mind boggles - well mine does, but mine is prone to boggling frequently ....

How do we get hold of a copy, Citlali?

lol

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Sorry I do not know I bought that book 20 years ago in an origami store, it was hilarious and I think someone who stayed with us thought the same thing as it disappeared very quickly. I t was all in Japanese so it may have been funnier than I thought or maybe it was just the instrucitons...who knows.

·
Registered
360 Posts
10 is enough?

So is 10 euros enough? I give 20 dollars here to same and I don't think I am over generous. Cost of living must be less there!

·
Registered
25 Posts
it's our first Christmas in France, so we will keep an eye out for the Postie etc, the cost of living is cheaper than the UK, so why not give it to the real people who do the work, that's what i think thanks for the info guys

·
Administrator
50,002 Posts
Depends what area in France you're in. Up here in the Paris area, we tend to give them 20€ (unless they catch me at home when I only have a 10€ note in my wallet).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, you certainly learn where people's sentiments REALLY lie, in reading these posts. I would say that, after a million people marched against ******** unions in Paris, that the 'faith' of many Frenchmen is still rather active, to say the least! I think the perception that the French (or the Irish, or whichever group you are not) are NOT religious, is a bit more wishful thinking than fact.....

·
Administrator
50,002 Posts
Not sure how the issue of calendars from the public service employees says anything at all about the religious fervor (or lack thereof) of the French. But ok....
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, you certainly learn where people's sentiments REALLY lie, in reading these posts. I would say that, after a million people marched against ******** unions in Paris, that the 'faith' of many Frenchmen is still rather active, to say the least! I think the perception that the French (or the Irish, or whichever group you are not) are NOT religious, is a bit more wishful thinking than fact.....
A few weeks ago we attended one of the first same sex marriages in France. Two men who have been together for over 40 years. The ceremony performed by the mayor was quiet and low key but afterwards all the village threw them a surprise party. The happy couple have lived in the village for over 20 years a move prompted by so much hate and prejudice elsewhere. Among those who attended and enjoyed the party were the local priest and nuns who had made the beautiful wedding cake.

Now back to thinking of that origami book and Bouche Noel.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The fire fighter just knocked me out of the flat. I think he came back to tackle the flats he missed last time. What do they do with the money?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.