Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am looking to bring my girlfriend over to uk from Japan (yes... still) I have narrowed my options down. I want to go to Japan (in a month or two) and get married :) then i will return back to the uk and apply for a spouse visa for her to come meet me. I meet the financial requirements, i have proof of genuine relationship, i will have been in my current job for over 6 months and have sufficient accommodation (can get a letter from the landlord if needed). My question is, if i get married in japan does this count? Is it recognized by the uk? I will get it translated while im there. Any ideas on the best way to marry and get her here? I know about the fiance visas to the uk but its just as expensive as flying to Japan plus paperwork and she cant work for up to 6months which will bore her like crazy.

Thanks again in advance!

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Yes, the UK will recognise a marriage performed in Japan. You'll need to provide a translation of any documents not originally in English, including the marriage certificate.

A spouse visa seems like the right way to go. Get married in Japan and then you can start the application for a UK spouse visa. She will have the right to find work as soon as it's valid.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Do investigate the procedure for a foreigner to marry a Japanese, as it varies between ward/municipality and some have more experience than others. You will need to obtain a certificate of freedom to marry, which will be issued by the British embassy. It's the town hall's Certificate of Acceptance of Marriage Notification (kon-in todoke juri shomeisho) that acts as marriage certificate, and you need to get it professionally translated. Use an agency that has done work for British Embassy/Home Office, who will know what to do. Some also submit the Marriage Notification form, but it isn't necessary. She will have to apply for her spouse visa in Japan.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Would you consider marrying your Japanese girlfriend in Hong Kong?

The only reason I suggested the above is that Hong Kong marriage certificate is in both English and Chinese. This means that you will not need to have the marriage certificate translated when applying for a spouse visa. Please see link below for details -

Marriage Registration | Immigration Department

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im having a tough job as it is trying to gather information and plan everything out without throwing in another country! I have read about this "proxy" marriage paperwork in japan where i can marry from overseas!? Again getting too complicated for me. I will ring the japanese embassy here in London and ask them some questions. I will ask my girlfriend to research at her local ward office.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the last thing i need is to go there and either cant get married or the marriage isnt excepted for the application. If anyone thinks of anything just let me know! Cheers guys

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
In Japan, for a legal marriage, all you need to do is to submit paperwork stating you are husband and wife (no same-sex union recognised) to the town hall, and once they accept it, you are married. No ceremony, exchange of vows etc is necessary. Of course a lot of people have that as well, often in a religious setting, but that's completely optional and has no legal force. It's not quite 'proxy' marriage as such, but they take your official declaration as husband and wife, attested by two witnesses, as legally binding. Application can be lodged by either party, or even by a representative (such as a relative).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.