Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear friends,

Can anyone suggest me if IELTS academic is allowed for 189 or 190 visa. There is no specific mention about this in the border.gov website.

Please suggest based on any live examples.

Thanks,
Neo

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
No examples to show/ quote here, but I can say for sure that both IELTS academic as well as general are accepted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the response mate.

Below is my situation.I have completed my ACS and got 8 years of experience valid for my job code. So 15 points, age, 25 points, education 15 points.

English- Challenging for me now.

1. IELTS took two times ( IELTS General)
a. R-6.5 L-7.5 W- 7, S- 7.5
b. R6.5 L- 8 W-7.5 S-8
Getting stuck at 6.5 for reading twice. People suggested me to take PTE now.

But in the practice scored test by PTE, not the real one getting low score in reading. I am more worried now. So thought of picking up a thought of asking my wife to take ielts as she is also working. So want to know whether IELTS academic will work.

I am really in crossroads now not sure whether I am doing the right thing. On top of this, my immigration agent in the UK has eloped with my money 1500 GBP. So no one to guide. Very depressing. Any suggestions?

Also, I have expressed interest with this 60 under system analyst for NSW and VIC in Sep 2017

Thanks,
Neo

No examples to show/ quote here, but I can say for sure that both IELTS academic as well as general are accepted.

·
Registered
140 Posts

Below is my situation.I have completed my ACS and got 8 years of experience valid for my job code. So 15 points, age, 25 points, education 15 points.

b. R6.5 L- 8 W-7.5 S-8

But in the practice scored test by PTE, not the real one getting low score in reading. I am more worried now. So thought of picking up a thought of asking my wife to take ielts as she is also working. So want to know whether IELTS academic will work.

I am really in crossroads now not sure whether I am doing the right thing. On top of this, my immigration agent in the UK has eloped with my money 1500 GBP. So no one to guide. Very depressing. Any suggestions?

Also, I have expressed interest with this 60 under system analyst for NSW and VIC in Sep 2017

Thanks,
Neo
Both versions of IELTS (general and academic) are accepted by DIBP. I saw that you have very IELTS score. My suggestion is that you should try academic version because you need to have at least 30 correct answers to have 7, otherwise you need 34 correct answers in general module.

You and your wife can prepare IELTS(academic) together. Good materials are official Cambridge from 7-12, and ielts-simon.com which provides insight into IELTS writing.

If you have any question, I'm happy to help.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
The way I see it, even with 10 points from English, you will be stuck for a long time at 65 points, so strongly consider 5 points from your wife's skills and English.
You and your wife can prepare IELTS(academic) together.
+1. It helps to have a study partner.

Don't count on any luck with your present 55+5 190 EOIs either.

·
Registered
49 Posts

b. R6.5 L- 8 W-7.5 S-8

Thanks,
Neo
Hi,

If you are facing problems in Reading in IELTS General, then better you go for PTE because reading in IELTS Academic is even more tougher. This is from my personal experience. ( my score was R 9 L 8.5 S 8.5 W 7.5 )

Either go for PTE or practise more from cambridge materials in General IELTS

Reactions: Neo_R

·
Registered
18 Posts

b. R6.5 L- 8 W-7.5 S-8

Thanks,
Neo
I'll suggest you to try for IELTS General again.
IELTS acaedmic Reading is more tough and forget about PTE Reading.
In PTE i think Reading is the most difficult part. I have seen many of my friends struggling to get marks in PTE Reading.
In Ielts most difficult part is to get score in writing and Speaking, but it seems you are good in both, So you dont need to take any tension.
I scored 9 in Reading and all becuase of practice. I used to do 2 practice paper of ielts daily (RWL) and scored 9 and 8.5 in Reading and Listening.
I can guarantee you, if you do practice well, then you can easily work on Reading part.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Dear Friends,

Really appreciate your suggestion. It feels immensely satisfied when you hear some good words from unknown people. Will keep you posted on my next steps in English.

Also I have another question regarding the kid. Currently its only me and my wife, so if we are planning or if my wife gets pregnant in 6 months down the lane after getting an invite, what will be the procedure ask for an additional invitation for the kid?

How long will it take if we ask for an invitation, will it be delayed lot or will it be quick any idea around that?

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
My Dear Friends,

Really appreciate your suggestion. It feels immensely satisfied when you hear some good words from unknown people. Will keep you posted on my next steps in English.

Also I have another question regarding the kid. Currently its only me and my wife, so if we are planning or if my wife gets pregnant in 6 months down the lane after getting an invite, what will be the procedure ask for an additional invitation for the kid?

How long will it take if we ask for an invitation, will it be delayed lot or will it be quick any idea around that?
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...itation-before-lodging-visa.html#post13370922

As for how long: nobody can say for sure. We've seen it vary between a few weeks to a few months and in a few cases even more.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My Dear Friends,

If you and your wife can clear the English, then go for medical check up before your wife's pregnancy. Because the validity of medical check is 1 year. For example, you have English proficiency in December, and receive invitation in May next year, then the Health Checks for your wife must be after May this year. So if you think you can secure an invitation, then you and your wife must complete Health Checks before your wife's pregnancy i.e. Health Checks in next month. And your kid will be Australian, if s/he is born in Australia.

Good luck for your family English endeavors.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Friends,

Thanks for your advice and suggestions it motivated me a lot and I got the below score.

PTE A : 79 ( R 77, L 74, W 80, W 86)

Now with this 10 points, I have updated EOI. My wife is taking the english and ACS documentation collection in progress.

Can anyone suggest will I get an invite for 190 with 70 for my jobcode? or will I have to wait for my wife's english and acs to be completed and make my 189 to 70 and wait for invite.

Please advice.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Congratulation, I'm quite a bit surprised when I hear you've got a decent PTE score in such short time. With you job code, it's impossible for you to receive an invitation with 65 points, so it's better to have 5 points from your wife.

Would you share us how you achieve such high score at PTE?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Congratulation, I'm quite a bit surprised when I hear you've got a decent PTE score in such short time. With you job code, it's impossible for you to receive an invitation with 65 points, so it's better to have 5 points from your wife.

To get 5 points for wife, can you pl tell the requirements
Apart from having bachelor's degree
And English language exam
Are there any other criteria
Thanks

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi Friends,

Thanks for your advice and suggestions it motivated me a lot and I got the below score.

Now with this 10 points, I have updated EOI. My wife is taking the english and ACS documentation collection in progress.

Can anyone suggest will I get an invite for 190 with 70 for my jobcode? or will I have to wait for my wife's english and acs to be completed and make my 189 to 70 and wait for invite.

Please advice.
Pl suggest
To get acs validation, are you doing it yourself out going through an agent
Thanks

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Friends,

Please advice.
For visa 189 definitely not this year. Most probably new year after mid or something.

For visa 190 with 70 points there are more chances.

Better to gain that extra 5 points through your spouse. Just make sure shes in the same field as yours.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Mutapha,

First of all thanks to god, what I did was determined. Even though I asked about this PTE recently in this forum, I have started preparing slowly on my own with PTE from Sep 25. All I would say is you need to be very determined that you can do it that is very important. Plus you need motivating people around you. My wife and people like you all in this forum are sounding positive that I can get and I have to get.
Another thing is my day job is speaking with business customers and documenting the requirements both functionally and technically. So speaking and writing comes naturally. But I am poor in academics( that's the reason I kept losing marks in IELTS reading). Believe me, PTE academic practice for reading was slightly tougher. I was doing reading practice for almost 5 days continuously with almost 75 reorder questions, and more than 100 fill up the blanks. I took 5 days off from my work and studied vigorously.

All I did was bought a gold pack after two weeks of preparation took the first scored test, didnt get the marks in reading alone but took the second scored test after another week's preparation. Again didnt get reading score alone. But I went positively to the exam, did a lot of meditation daily to gain focus and was very positive.

So 4 weeks of hard-work, determination, self belief and never give up attitude helped me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts