Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

By grace of Allah and prayer of my family, I cleared IELTS on 3rd attempt.

L8, R8.5, W7, S7.5 Overall-8

Previous 2 attempts I scored reading 6.5 missing by only 05. This time I guess the following made difference in Reading

IELTS Practice Course, IELTS Sample Tests, IELTS Study :: Welcome to Scott's English Success!
Its 89 US$ for 2 months and 10 complete set of practice sets. This made one of the differences this time increasing the band from 6.5 to 8.5. It has excellent tests with explanations and tips. (price is reasonable too )

Highly recommended to those who are feeling difficulty in Reading section like me :)

For writing Scotts English and IELTS Writing Blog – Model Task 1 and 2 responses Original IELTS writing resources provided by an IELTS instructor are the best.

Last of all thanks to this forum and all its members who gave me encouragement and best of luck to all.

Having 65 points, I will check for state sponsorship NSW / VIC, otherwise would go for 175.

Thanks All.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Congrats!
Hi obelixous- You have a VIC SS reject...

a. may I know your occupation?
b. What reason did VIC give for the rejection?
c. Do you think the reason given was arbitrary or justified?
d. Did VIC take close to 4 months only to tell you that your application is rejected?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi All

Previous 2 attempts I scored reading 6.5 missing by only 05. This time I guess the following made difference in Reading

Its 89 US$ for 2 months and 10 complete set of practice sets. This made one of the differences this time increasing the band from 6.5 to 8.5. It has excellent tests with explanations and tips. (price is reasonable too )

Highly recommended to those who are feeling difficulty in Reading section like me :)

For writing Scotts English and are the best.

Last of all thanks to this forum and all its members who gave me encouragement and best of luck to all.

Having 65 points, I will check for state sponsorship NSW / VIC, otherwise would go for 175.

Thanks All.
Thanks for advising! And good luck!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi All

IELTS Practice Course, IELTS Sample Tests, IELTS Study :: Welcome to Scott's English Success!

For writing Scotts English and IELTS Writing Blog – Model Task 1 and 2 responses Original IELTS writing resources provided by an IELTS instructor are the best.

Thanks All.
Wow congrats mimran.....

My friend is in same situation; previously was stuck in speaking; now both speaking and writing has 6.5 each; share some tips; thanks.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow congrats mimran.....

My friend is in same situation; previously was stuck in speaking; now both speaking and writing has 6.5 each; share some tips; thanks.

Thanks Eleckter / Varunsal :)

Had applied for Vic yesterday, but not sure whether I will get it as rejection rate for Vic is high. Probably will launch a parallel application to NSW as well. Lets see

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow congrats mimran.....

Hi Varunsal

Some tips for Writing / Speaking

1. Learn as many synonyms as you could
2. Rephrase the question using synonyms and avoid REPETITION

For example if there is a question
Some shops are open 24 hours a day. is it good or bad ?

First on the question paper write all the synonyms you could use for the question

24hours a day -> uninterrupted service, round the clock, throughout the year, continuous service and son on
Shops -> retail chains, super markets, outlets ...

3. Better to use the standard structure with the following
1. Introduction -> First paragraph and your postion
2. Counter argument -> 2nd paragraph -> Better to start with opposite of what you believe that is if you think its good that super markets are open 24 hours, provide counter arguments
3. Supporting paragraph -> Main paragraph where you support your postion
4. Conclusion -> Restate and conclude what you believe

More details you can find on ieltsielts website

Speaking

1.Use same approach for speaking. Enhance your vocabulary and synonyms
2.In the 2 minutes time, keep talking til the end, this would portray a good impression
3. Use linking words like however, on the other hand so on.

Hope this would help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Varunsal

Some tips for Writing / Speaking

1. Learn as many synonyms as you could
2. Rephrase the question using synonyms and avoid REPETITION

For example if there is a question
Some shops are open 24 hours a day. is it good or bad ?

First on the question paper write all the synonyms you could use for the question

24hours a day -> uninterrupted service, round the clock, throughout the year, continuous service and son on
Shops -> retail chains, super markets, outlets ...

3. Better to use the standard structure with the following
1. Introduction -> First paragraph and your postion
2. Counter argument -> 2nd paragraph -> Better to start with opposite of what you believe that is if you think its good that super markets are open 24 hours, provide counter arguments
3. Supporting paragraph -> Main paragraph where you support your postion
4. Conclusion -> Restate and conclude what you believe

More details you can find on ieltsielts website

Speaking

1.Use same approach for speaking. Enhance your vocabulary and synonyms
2.In the 2 minutes time, keep talking til the end, this would portray a good impression
3. Use linking words like however, on the other hand so on.

Hope this would help.

Congrats for the Score !!!! :clap2: and thanks for sharing the Tips :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Congrats for the Score !!!! :clap2: and thanks for sharing the Tips :)
Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing the links, too! I also found a neat application here:

www.ielts-higher.com

It has a nice user interface, simple. You can buy 8 practice tests (there are two diff. packs to choose from), or you can buy all 16 at a discounted price. For 8 tests, its 30 pounds (UK), so roughly $45 US.

Will hopefully be taking the test again this weekend (if they reply back with my confirmation). So will see how well these practice materials help! :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
IELTS writing resource

Congrats mimran!!!

For writing, I got a band 8 in writing with very limited preparation by simply following resources posted by Ryan T. Higginns.

My vocabulary and grammar is ok but cohesion and coherence aspect is extremely important and Ryan's stuff focusses a lot on these.

He has view videos on youtube, an ebook for task 2 writing and tons of samples on his blog. IELTS Writing Blog – Model Task 1 and 2 responses Original IELTS writing resources provided by an IELTS instructor

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks mbc and sraza.

Definitely Ryan approach is best on writing styles and structures. I also scored 7.5 last time in writing without much writing preparation.

mbc, good luck and best wishes for your upcoming test.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Third time is the lucky one for me too. Just got my results. R.9 W.8 L.8.5 S. 8.5. Very happy now. :) let's hope it's all worth it. )

·
Registered
75 Posts
is great. I did it once, not so lucky 7.5 overall and will soon repeat it.
I somehow assume overall 8 meant 8 in all areas but average 8 is sufficient?
Can somebody confirm?

·
Registered
40 Posts
ksss said:
is great. I did it once, not so lucky 7.5 overall and will soon repeat it.
I somehow assume overall 8 meant 8 in all areas but average 8 is sufficient?
Can somebody confirm?
If you need it for the maximum points. You need to get 8 in all four sections in one exam sitting. However, if you only need 10 points band 7 in all four sections is sufficient. Hope this helps to clarify.

Good luck with your repeat.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks mbc and sraza.

Definitely Ryan approach is best on writing styles and structures. I also scored 7.5 last time in writing without much writing preparation.

mbc, good luck and best wishes for your upcoming test.
mbc, did you get your revised result yet?

·
Registered
239 Posts
sraza said:
mbc, did you get your revised result yet?
No, not yet - its been 4 weeks since I asked for the re-mark, they said it would take 6-8 weeks.

I am signed up to take it again on 21 April. Have been practicing in the meantime.

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

·
Registered
35 Posts
Congrates

Hi All

Thanks All.

Assalam o Alaikum Imran,

First of all many many congrates for achieving required band. I have also problem in reading, I never achieved 7 in my last several attemps, I like to know how did you cover your this part?

Your tips shall be appreciated and looking forward...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Assalam o Alaikum Imran,

First of all many many congrates for achieving required band. I have also problem in reading, I never achieved 7 in my last several attemps, I like to know how did you cover your this part?

Your tips shall be appreciated and looking forward...

Walaikum Assalam Agha

Thanks for your wishes. I admit Reading was very tough for me as well. I suggest you to check Scotts English website. This site have some recorded lectures and practice test with explanation. If you have tried everything else and stil feeling difficulty in Reading, then its the best option (it worked for me).

Some overall approach I took this time for Reading test

1.Completed the first 2 sections quickly and ensure that I have ample time to deal with Section3 as it is normally the toughest.

2.Quickly reviewing the questions and then going through the text also help.

3.Double checking the answers as I go along, as in the end there is no time left for rechecking your answers.

4.Go through the practice tests available on the net and make sure you analyze why you have selected the wrong answer.

And last but not least, concentration is important. Good luck. Thanks to let me know if you need any further help

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.