Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm looking to migrate me and my family to Australia. So far I have only got as far as the self assessment. I scored enough points to process visa. Do I need to take an ielts test before I get other things moving. I'm really not sure how this process works and what should I be doing step by step. This is all new to me so any advice would be really helpful. I would also like to know what the construction industry is like in Perth at the moment. I am a bricklayer by trade.
Any help or info please,
Dean

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Dean
There are lots of people here who are more expert than me so I'll give you the info I know and they can correct me if needs be. If you have the 65 points without the IELTS then no you will not have to sit the exam (it looks like you are from the uk). Having a uk passport will automatically give you the equivalent of an ielts 6 to enter Australia but you cannot claim any points from your language so make sure you've got the 65 points without the language points. Hope that makes sense.

I can't speak specifically about bricklaying but construction, in my opinion and from what I can see, is doing really well in Perth. It ebbs and flows so there are times men will get a job within construction within two weeks, sometimes it could take two months. But there is work there. In any case construction is doing much better in Perth than it is in the uk at the minute! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Holders of UK, Irish, Canadian, USA and New Zealand are exempt from IELTS testing.

With job hunting , just remember most jobs in Australia are not advertised, there's no point as it's a waste of time and money, as the skills shortage means there is just no one to fill them.

Employers fill positions by asking their employees if they know anyone, or by poaching employees from their opposition.

This means as a job seeker you'll have to cold call and door knock if you want a job as quickly ad possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Dean
There are lots of people here who are more expert than me so I'll give you the info I know and they can correct me if needs be. If you have the 65 points without the IELTS then no you will not have to sit the exam (it looks like you are from the uk). Having a uk passport will automatically give you the equivalent of an ielts 6 to enter Australia but you cannot claim any points from your language so make sure you've got the 65 points without the language points. Hope that makes sense.

I can't speak specifically about bricklaying but construction, in my opinion and from what I can see, is doing really well in Perth. It ebbs and flows so there are times men will get a job within construction within two weeks, sometimes it could take two months. But there is work there. In any case construction is doing much better in Perth than it is in the uk at the minute! Hope this helps.
Ok thank you very much I didn't realise that was the case with ielts. Do you know what the schools are like?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Holders of UK, Irish, Canadian, USA and New Zealand are exempt from IELTS testing.

With job hunting , just remember most jobs in Australia are not advertised, there's no point as it's a waste of time and money, as the skills shortage means there is just no one to fill them.

Employers fill positions by asking their employees if they know anyone, or by poaching employees from their opposition.

This means as a job seeker you'll have to cold call and door knock if you want a job as quickly ad possible.[/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This means as a job seeker you'll have to cold call and door knock if you want a job as quickly ad possible.[/
Ok thankyou very much very helpful

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
In all probability you will need an IELTS .Which visa are you planning to apply for?

Hi I'm looking to migrate me and my family to Australia. So far I have only got as far as the self assessment. I scored enough points to process visa. Do I need to take an ielts test before I get other things moving. I'm really not sure how this process works and what should I be doing step by step. This is all new to me so any advice would be really helpful. I would also like to know what the construction industry is like in Perth at the moment. I am a bricklayer by trade.
Any help or info please,
Dean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In all probability you will need an IELTS .Which visa are you planning to apply for?
I have been advised that I need an sc175 or an sc176, this was 6 months ago that I was advised to apply for these. Not sure which one would be better. So does nationality come into it or does everybody need to obtain an ielts. Do you know how long these visas take to process. Should I hire an agent to help me. I am only just looking into it so any help please.
Dean

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't need an IELTS as a requirement but when I applied for my 176 I needed to get some extra points as I lost 5 due to going over 40. It was really easy to get the extra points. If you are a native speaker you won't have a problem. But strictly speaking, you don't need it if you have a passport from a country where is it the main language, like the UK. You can download some online practise tests for free on some IELTS websites. You should practise a few of them before doing the test.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't need an IELTS as a requirement but when I applied for my 176 I needed to get some extra points as I lost 5 due to going over 40. It was really easy to get the extra points. If you are a native speaker you won't have a problem. But strictly speaking, you don't need it if you have a passport from a country where is it the main language, like the UK. You can download some online practise tests for free on some IELTS websites. You should practise a few of them before doing the test.
Ok thankyou for your help, I think I will have to take it to get the points I need. I have been told it can be difficult to achieve a good score. I have purchased a book to give me some guidance on how to revise. How long did it take to process your visa?
Dean

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok thankyou for your help, I think I will have to take it to get the points I need. I have been told it can be difficult to achieve a good score. I have purchased a book to give me some guidance on how to revise. How long did it take to process your visa?
Dean
If you are a native speaker you should have no problems. The hardest part is the listening. The key to the listening is to move on and not get distracted by a question you missed while they are asking the next one. Practise the writing, you will have to do two essays, one twice as long as the other.

I applied for the 176 in January 2010. During the summer of 2010 they had the big review and I waited for ages to see if my occupation was on the state migration plan for Victoria. When the list came out, around october 2010, I was on the list and jumped priority. I expected it to take another 4 months for them to get around to my application. I was surprised when they contacted me two weeks later. I then went into a protracted disagreement with my case officer (detailed elsewhere on this board) about my working hours and finally we settled that in November. I then had a month to get the medicals and police certs. The visa finally came through at the end of January 2011. That was approximately one year. It should take less than that now if you are on the state migration plan.

I should say however that it took about another year before that to get the state sponsorship, VetAssess and all the preparation work for the application such as JP validation of certificates etc etc and scanning and uploading them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.