Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Given IELTS 2nd time and today got the results.
L8,R7.5,W7,S6.5

In my first attempt, I had got below scores:
L8.5,R9,W7,S6.5

2nd time IDP has given me 6.5 in speaking, feeling bad and low in morale.
Dont know if they are doing intentionally.
Anyone else has same experience ?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Don't get disheartened and give up hopes.

It's just that 0.5 making the difference. Try watching some videos of IELTS speaking and observe the words and grammar they use in their speech.

Third time you will get the required score. Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello Nick,

I envy for the score in other areas. I got the result today and I am below 7 in 2 areas.
I got 8 in speaking( Highest among 4 areas). I should admit that I am not a great orator, I just can manage the show.
I suggest you try in a different location. May be it depends on examiners.

Regards,
GK

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi,

L8,R7.5,W7,S6.5

L8.5,R9,W7,S6.5

Yes, I have similar experience, in fact its worse, in 3 attempts, I have got 6.5 twice in speaking and one time 6.5 listening. I guess it really matters that if you are comfortable to speak about Part 2 topic and also in part 3 you can justify your ideas with reasonable and convincing answers related to that topic.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hi,

L8,R7.5,W7,S6.5

L8.5,R9,W7,S6.5

TRY TRY AGAIN till you get the required score............. I got 7 in each in my 6th attempt........Hope this will motivate you.

Try tips for speaking from here : Free IELTS preparationDominic Cole's IELTS and Beyond
Good luck and my best wishes with you :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Regards,
Karan

Reactions: kubuqi

·
Registered
657 Posts
If possible try this time with British Council......... I gave my IELTS in my last attempt with them and got the required score............IDP is just making money

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hi,

L8,R7.5,W7,S6.5

L8.5,R9,W7,S6.5

Hi Nick,

Don't get discouraged as this is not the end of this world. Yet, i know it really matters for your achieve your dream scores at any cost. Here are my tips for you to score more than 7 bands for sure.

Hit " like" if you find them helpful.

1. Never try to repeat the same words as in question. Looks strange but it is true and if you use their equivalent synonyms, your chanecs of sailing in the boat of 7 bands is pretty high.

For example: Q: What is your favourite food?
Sea foods are my favourite food. (Not owrth more than 5/6 bands)

Well, i am crazy about sea foods, in general, because of their delicious taste and nutritional values. particularly, South Indian sea foods such fish, algais, are the ones i like most. in fact, i would like have at least couple of salmon fishes on dining table every weekend. all in all, i am a great fan of spicy sea foods. (at least 6.5-7.5 bands and varies upon your pronunciation, expression etc.

2. What is your name?

I am XYZ whose english equivalent is a person who speaks truth always instead of simply saying

my name is XYZ.

3. Use idioms, phrases, proverbs, quotes, reasons, online survey data, live examples from personal life etc. to decorate your speech with cakes and nuts.

Variety is the spice of life.

For instance, if the question is" what is yuour opinion about migrants adopting the local traditions where they relocate to?'

Starts with "when you are in Rome, do as Romans do".

4. Try to give the answer within maximum of 3-4 sentences only in part 1. Be confident that the examiner will have the headache of assessing your scores and henec you don't need to panic about your speaking at all.

5. Try to speak with other candidates before entering into examination hall. This will keep your rhythm while you are inside the exam hall.

6. Be relaxed and confident that you can make it through.

7. Find the friends who also want to sit for ielts and add them on skype to speak with. Build up conversations on various general topics and examination related topics.

8. Stick to schedule online practicing with people at least say, 1 hour a day for speaking.

9. Accept your mistakes and have as many model speaking tests as possible with your co-students of IELTS.

10. No one is perfect. if you commit mistakes in speaking test, just move on. if you are able to rectify, do it, else move ahead.

11. If you are unable to come up with a word at a point. try to elaborate it to the examiner by saying " it is on the tip of my tongue. however, i am unable to recollect it now. It is something like a stick used to ......"

12. English is a language and not knowledge. Even a beggar in London street is able to score 9/8 bands in IELTS. Therefore, acknowledge the fact that with more practice, you can for sure, attain your desired scores.

13. Finally, the more time you spend in speaking with friends, the better your scores will be. Remember to use some compound and complex sentences as well to show that your lexical resources are really good enough.

All the best,

Sathiya

·
Registered
350 Posts
You should take a course and/or private lessons. Watching videos won't improve your speech skills. You need a expert to evaluate your speech skills and give you some pointers.

Reactions: reddytelecom478

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello Folks,

I'm planning to give my test on 1st week of Nov'2014.For the Speaking module i'm looking for people who can join me over skype or anybody knows where to find free online speaking partners.please provide me any helpful links to improve speaking skills. ;)

Thanks in advance,

Bharath Kumar.G

Reactions: skarri1

·
Registered
648 Posts
the most important thing in speaking is you should really answer the questions they are asking. So if they are asking you about your day and you start talking about last week you will loose points.

Go in the room with a pencil and a piece of paper, write down the question and ask them 1-2 minutes so that you can think about what you will say.

I had 8 in speaking and personally I am not the guy who is really talkative. I was just careful enough to fully answer the question and tried to pronounce the words fully. Try to talk a little bit in American accent if you can. Watch some movies etc... to understand how they are forming sentences.

·
Registered
43 Posts
IDP is just bothered about revenue generation and nothing else. I have taken the IELTS thrice, twice with IDP and once with BC.
There are two pointers which I would like to share:
. If you have selected the reason for taking the examination is Immigration then I guess this is pretty much expected. I had taken the general test with the hope of scoring more than 8 in all modules based on what I had got in my academic module (scores in signature). But I got a shocker of a result - and anyone would agree with me that academic module is tougher than the general module. So I went ahead and submitted my academic scores. So if possible try taking the academic test, it's tougher, but not a shocker.
. BC is generally considered to be more genuine in public perspective.

My two cents - hope this helps.
All the best.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hi,
Can someone help me with reading , in my last two attempts i am only managed to get 6 band..even when i tried practice tests at home, the score remains the same..i m practicing on a daily basis, still not able to hit the mark...i m very tensed .

next exam date is 2 oct..please help..

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was searching for a thread named "IELTS Frustration" by a member named "bee", but not finding it now. I remember few tips and will post them below.

1. Spend only a minute and if you cant arrive at an answer, skip to the next. This might sound funny, but sometimes we miss the obvious at first look. So keep it for the last and move on!!

2. The tricky section is True, False, Not Given. This is an area where most get wrong. Because we have to skim the passage properly to answer the question and not to use our knowledge. If its given then true/false. If not write Not Given.

3. Once you're done with a module L, S, R or W) do not bother since the job's already done!

Most of the above points are repeated here. In addition, for practice tests, get yourself into a silent room and then start doing it.

All the very best!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I sat for IELTS thrice and all the 3 times I got 6.5 in Writing... rest all I surpassed 7.
But I am stuck scoring 7 in writing.

As per me I did write well enough with no silly mistakes, But I still don't understand where I am loosing it.

Someone please guide me on Writing skills. I am really tired of attempting IELTS again and again for just one Writing.

Yes I agree about IDP... they are just concerned about revenue generation and nothing else. Whereas, BC does it seriously and they do conduct the test well. The only problem with BC is dates. You don't get them easily.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hello Folks,

I'm planning to give my test on 1st week of Nov'2014.For the Speaking module i'm looking for people who can join me over skype or anybody knows where to find free online speaking partners.please provide me any helpful links to improve speaking skills. ;)

Thanks in advance,

Bharath Kumar.G

Hello ,
I'm preparing for IELTS test , required 8 band (at least 7+ individual) in all modules.If you also seeking the same. Add me on skype , my skype id is reddytelecom1.

BR//
Naga

·
Registered
262 Posts
I sat for IELTS thrice and all the 3 times I got 6.5 in Writing... rest all I surpassed 7.
But I am stuck scoring 7 in writing.

As per me I did write well enough with no silly mistakes, But I still don't understand where I am loosing it.

Someone please guide me on Writing skills. I am really tired of attempting IELTS again and again for just one Writing.

Yes I agree about IDP... they are just concerned about revenue generation and nothing else. Whereas, BC does it seriously and they do conduct the test well. The only problem with BC is dates. You don't get them easily.
Would you mind emailing me your few writings that you have done at home for practise.... Though I did not score 9 but I can try to help you in finding major faults if any.

An individual won't realise his own mistakes, it need to be assessed by other, it really helps

Do you write essay/letter same way you posted above message, I can find some errors in that.

Reactions: kubuqi

·
Registered
51 Posts
The best way to score 7 and more in Writing is read the topic clearly on which you have to write. They have framed the question in such a way that once you read it, you should be able to identify 4 paragraphs that need to be written.
1) General Introduction on the topic/ issue.
2) examples / facts that favor the discussion
3) examples / facts that do not favor the discussion
4) Your personal opinon and conclusion.

Spelling mistakes is not critical but the ask is its not in each every paragraph. Go through IELTS online tutorials (videos), they provide great explanation

·
Registered
127 Posts
Even i am facing difficulty in reading

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Nick,

Don't get discouraged as this is not the end of this world. Yet, i know it really matters for your achieve your dream scores at any cost. Here are my tips for you to score more than 7 bands for sure.

Hit " like" if you find them helpful.

1. Never try to repeat the same words as in question. Looks strange but it is true and if you use their equivalent synonyms, your chanecs of sailing in the boat of 7 bands is pretty high.

For example: Q: What is your favourite food?
Sea foods are my favourite food. (Not owrth more than 5/6 bands)

Well, i am crazy about sea foods, in general, because of their delicious taste and nutritional values. particularly, South Indian sea foods such fish, algais, are the ones i like most. in fact, i would like have at least couple of salmon fishes on dining table every weekend. all in all, i am a great fan of spicy sea foods. (at least 6.5-7.5 bands and varies upon your pronunciation, expression etc.

2. What is your name?

I am XYZ whose english equivalent is a person who speaks truth always instead of simply saying

my name is XYZ.

3. Use idioms, phrases, proverbs, quotes, reasons, online survey data, live examples from personal life etc. to decorate your speech with cakes and nuts.

Variety is the spice of life.

For instance, if the question is" what is yuour opinion about migrants adopting the local traditions where they relocate to?'

Starts with "when you are in Rome, do as Romans do".

4. Try to give the answer within maximum of 3-4 sentences only in part 1. Be confident that the examiner will have the headache of assessing your scores and henec you don't need to panic about your speaking at all.

5. Try to speak with other candidates before entering into examination hall. This will keep your rhythm while you are inside the exam hall.

6. Be relaxed and confident that you can make it through.

7. Find the friends who also want to sit for ielts and add them on skype to speak with. Build up conversations on various general topics and examination related topics.

8. Stick to schedule online practicing with people at least say, 1 hour a day for speaking.

9. Accept your mistakes and have as many model speaking tests as possible with your co-students of IELTS.

10. No one is perfect. if you commit mistakes in speaking test, just move on. if you are able to rectify, do it, else move ahead.

11. If you are unable to come up with a word at a point. try to elaborate it to the examiner by saying " it is on the tip of my tongue. however, i am unable to recollect it now. It is something like a stick used to ......"

12. English is a language and not knowledge. Even a beggar in London street is able to score 9/8 bands in IELTS. Therefore, acknowledge the fact that with more practice, you can for sure, attain your desired scores.

13. Finally, the more time you spend in speaking with friends, the better your scores will be. Remember to use some compound and complex sentences as well to show that your lexical resources are really good enough.

All the best,

Sathiya
Hi sathiya,

I am really feeling good after reading this post. I like your tips and sugesstions a lot.
I have a doubt like if I speak with same level of people then will my speaking skills get improved?

Thanks,
Srilatha

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hello Folks,

Thanks in advance,

Bharath Kumar.G
Are you appearing for general of academic module? Even i am planning to write in october.And want to practice speaking.

Thanks ,
Srilatha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts