Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just about to sit my IELTs now in 2 weeks :D

I have paid my fee and been sent some free materials to practise.

Just wondering how much revision I should do (aside from exam structure and whatnot)

I have an A-Level in English Literature and educated to Degree level. English is my first and only language and feel i have fairly sound grasp of it by now :)

At the same time, I want to score an 8 in this, so not taking it lightly.

Would be great to get some advice from someone in a similar position.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi guys,

Just wondering how much revision I should do (aside from exam structure and whatnot)

I have an A-Level in English Literature and educated to Degree level. English is my first and only language and feel i have fairly sound grasp of it by now :)

Thanks in advance!!
In your case it should be pretty straightforward. IELTS is a quite simple exam, so I am sure that for somebody whose English is the first language, it shouldn't be a problem to get 8 or higher band score.

I would only practise reading - mainly some strategies how to find answers in the text. There is only 1h and very long texts. For sure you will not have enough time to read entire text. If you want to get 8 from Reading, you can only make maximum 3 mistakes (out of 40).

Don't forget to take a good sleep before exam.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
For native English speakers, the best way to prepare for IELTS is to do a few practice exams to get used to the format. The listening section can go pretty quickly, so I would recommend taking notes while you're listening to the audio to refer to later when you're actually answering the questions. I found the audio clips were really boring to listen to and it's easy for your mind to wander (especially if you're doing the test first thing in the morning). For the writing section, make sure you have the minimum number of words for each of the essays or you will lose points.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!!
Only thing you might have to worry is the writing section. Else, you won't have trouble in the other 3. Writing has a certain format and if you don't follow it, irrespective of how good you write, you may not get 8.

The last time, a native English speaker with a good command in English, managed 9 in all and 7 in Writing I rembered.

Hence, I personally prefer PTE as it is much suited to people who are good in English as it assess the ability more than exam format. If you don't manage 8 in IELTS, get on with PTE as you will ace it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.