Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first practice on writing for ietls and hope someone here can give me your comments and what band I deserve. Thanks!

Writing task 1 (a letter)
You work for an international company. Recently your job has changed and you believe that more training is needed. Write a letter to your manager and say
- How has your job changed?
- Describe a type of training you will need.
- Suggest the arrangements incorporating training and your work.

Dear Mr. Tan,

I am writing to you to express my thoughts on how you can assist me to do better in my newly assigned position as sales manager.

As I was in the air-conditioning industry for the past 20 years, the most recent assignment for me to take up pumps sales is a big challenge. Even though I have a fairly good knowledge about pumps, but it will be essential for me to understand our own products better in order to be more confident when approaching the clients.

I would like to attend the upcoming internal pumps training which has been scheduled in the first week of next month. I am pretty sure that this training will equip me with the knowledge that I require to perform better in my new role. As the training will take up only the mornings for 3 days, it will not affect my daily work routine since my mobile phone will always be on the alert mode.

I sincerely hope that you will approve my request and looking forward to hear from you soon.

Thank you.

Yours Sincerely,

Garren Duval.

Writing task 2 (an essay)
Some people say that cooking food at home is a waste of time. They claim that good restaurants are better and can make modern living easier and less stressful. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?

Nowadays, many restaurants have replaced the convenience of cooking at home. With the changes in our environment, especially in developed countries like Singapore, it gets harder to retain the old tradition where females generally stay home to cook while the males are in charge of bringing income back for the family.

Most adults, both husbands and wives work in Singapore. With long working hours, it makes it difficult and tiring for people to rush home after work just to cook their meals. There are many restaurants that serve good food, which could simply cater to their desires. By eating out, they no longer have to buy groceries, cook and wash their utensils but of course, in exchange for higher expenses.

However, home cooked food is definitely healthier as the cook will be able to control the amount of salt and sugar contents. By whipping out tasty food, one can attract the family members to go home eagerly for dinner. In such way, it could help to close up the family ties. It will also be enjoyable for those who like to spend some time doing groceries shopping, enabling them to relax by strolling in supermarkets.

In my personal opinion, I would rather sacrifice my time to cook my family good meals than to eat out. This will not only bring my family closer but also an opportunity to test my own culinary skills as well as a chance for my family members to appreciate home cooked food.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There are books (Cambridge Series for IELTS) that have several solved question papers. They also provide guidelines on how the scoring is done. It would be relevant to go through the books and read some of the essays and also see how many marks have been provided for the essays.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hi Luvauz,

Your English is good. I find that usually Singaporeans have good English because it is one of their official languages :).

What is the band score you are targeting? I would say that your writing is at a band 7 or closer.

Here are few tips that would help you improve.

(1) You make occasional grammar mistakes. These could be avoided if you take the time to read the essay/letter again after you finish. So always remember to finish your work ahead of time, so that you have time for review.

(2) Your essay only has 247 words. This is below the minimum required word limit and you will be penalized for this. Always make sure you pass the word limit.

(3) Essay has four parts that will be assessed separately. They are Task Achievement, Coherence and Cohesion, Lexical Resource, Grammatical Range and Accuracy. You need to concentrate on all of these.

(4) I think your essay could be structured better. You can also improve on vocabulary and grammar. Don't be afraid to use complex sentences if you are comfortable with it.

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot Aussman and AncientGlory!

Am going for my test tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Just received bad news today that EA has rejected my 10 years work experience an now I will be lack of points... hopefully I can get band 8 to gain the points required... :(

·
Registered
748 Posts
Good luck mate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts