Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to take the IELTS test again. A month ago I took it and got L9, R8.5, W7.5, S9.... the Writing needed to be an 8 or above, so here I am again!

I've studied quite a lot (thanks for the links, Stormgal!), and I think I know where I made my mistakes last time, so FINGERS CROSSED today will be the last time I have to take it. I won't know until 2 March when the results are posted.

I know there are others on the boards who are taking their test today (or already have, depending on their timezone) - BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE!

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

Reactions: Jivesha

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi mbc71. Same situation as mine. Have 8 overall twice in the past two months but have 7.5 each in one module each time! Hope luck is better this time.
By the way, I read elsewhere that you have applied for Victoria SS. At the same time, you do not have the full required 65 points as you do not have 8 in IELTS. Is that all right? Will Victoria not want a full 65 points before it picks up your case for SS? Is it enough if I simply submit Positive ACS, IELTS reults (they require 7 and I have 7) and CV with the declaration?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am getting ready to take the IELTS test again. A month ago I took it and got L9, R8.5, W7.5, S9.... the Writing needed to be an 8 or above, so here I am again!

I've studied quite a lot (thanks for the links, Stormgal!), and I think I know where I made my mistakes last time, so FINGERS CROSSED today will be the last time I have to take it. I won't know until 2 March when the results are posted.

I know there are others on the boards who are taking their test today (or already have, depending on their timezone) - BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE!

All the best for the exam... do let us know how it went

·
Registered
328 Posts
All the best! Pray you get your desired score.

·
Registered
119 Posts

I too took my IELTS today and awaiting march 02. Fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
all the best mbc71

I hope you get all 8's and above as well :)

I had to take the test I believe it was 3 times - the reading was what did me in lol - I couldn't do the one word/ three word answers that were exactly right as the reading is scanned by a machine.

To me, the IELTS was the hardest part of my application - that and telling my boss to sign the references lol.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
wish you luck :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hi mbc71:

I am new here, and taking my IELTS next month. Would you mind sharing studying links you mentioned from stormgal? Thanks

Not sure when mbc71 will come back, but here are the links that helped me:

Preparation Materials for IELTS

For the writing (I scored a 9 in writing all three time I took the test) following the format of the GMAT AWA (from back in the day when I took that test) helped me write well on all writing standardized exams. Here is a good link that explains how to answer writing questions - it really works

How to get 6.0 AWA....my guide : Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA)

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bangalg said:
Hi mbc71. Same situation as mine. Have 8 overall twice in the past two months but have 7.5 each in one module each time! Hope luck is better this time.
By the way, I read elsewhere that you have applied for Victoria SS. At the same time, you do not have the full required 65 points as you do not have 8 in IELTS. Is that all right? Will Victoria not want a full 65 points before it picks up your case for SS? Is it enough if I simply submit Positive ACS, IELTS reults (they require 7 and I have 7) and CV with the declaration?
Hi bangalg - my immigration attorney was able to submit for Victoria SS without the 65 points. I think Stormgal also got her sponsorship before she had earned enough points for the 176, too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, everyone! I am not sure how I did, I don't have the warm fuzzies about my writing test. I will find out in 2 weeks what the result was, and if I didn't make it... more studying for me and another test. Will post how I did in 2 weeks!

·
Registered
550 Posts
mbc71 said:
Hi bangalg - my immigration attorney was able to submit for Victoria SS without the 65 points. I think Stormgal also got her sponsorship before she had earned enough points for the 176, too.

Hi storm gal,
Can you please confirm if this is true. That will be one bright spot for me.
Thanks,mbc71

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hi storm gal,
Can you please confirm if this is true. That will be one bright spot for me.
Thanks,mbc71

Yes it's true. I applied without having all the points for a 175. But I had already met the SS requirements for the occupation that I was applying for.

SS is SS and DIAC is DIAC. Both have their requirements that you have to meet independently - different committees for both. Apply for the SS if you meet what's listed on the States website while you wait, then work to bring up your points (i.e. IELTS) for when the time you apply for the 176.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Oh... thanks mbc71 and stormgal... you guys are brilliant.
I will straightaway apply for VIC SS... and then wait for my 'all 8' scores in parallel. I must aim to get my visa stamped by July. Else, 'business analyst' may be taken off the list in July and I will be left nowhere..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes it's true. I applied without having all the points for a 175. But I had already met the SS requirements for the occupation that I was applying for.

SS is SS and DIAC is DIAC. Both have their requirements that you have to meet independently - different committees for both. Apply for the SS if you meet what's listed on the States website while you wait, then work to bring up your points (i.e. IELTS) for when the time you apply for the 176.

Hi,

I have a question regarding this. for a 176 do we need to have 65 points without considering the SS? Like I have 60 points now. Can I apply with that to SS so once it is approved, I will have 65 points.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi,

I have a question regarding this. for a 176 do we need to have 65 points without considering the SS? Like I have 60 points now. Can I apply with that to SS so once it is approved, I will have 65 points.
Hi Chsridevi,
I think it is clear from mbc71 and stormgal's responses that you don't need to have 65 points to apply for VIC SS. But you should meet all the VIC SS criteria of having 6 or 7 in IELTS, etc. I also think +Assessment helps.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi stormgal / mbc

I have 55 points without IELTs and waiting for IELTS result of 7 in all.

Do you think I could proceed to SS for Vic and NSW, specially for VIC as its famous for rejecting applications and requires 7 in all modules.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mimran said:
Hi stormgal / mbc

I have 55 points without IELTs and waiting for IELTS result of 7 in all.

Do you think I could proceed to SS for Vic and NSW, specially for VIC as its famous for rejecting applications and requires 7 in all modules.
If your occupation requires 7+ in IELTS for SS, I'd wait until you have that. I think the main point is that in order to apply for SS, you have to show you've met all of the SS requirements.... you don't have to show you've met all of DIAC's requirements. So in my case, Vic SS requires 7+ from IELTS and a positive skills assessment, and I have both of those, so it was fine to go ahead and apply for it. But I'll have to wait to eventually lodge my 176 because I need 8+ to earn enough points for the 176. Hope that makes sense...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.