Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
L8.5, R8.5, W6, S7 = O 7.5

I have lost IELTS again (New Delhi IDP - July 12th). All previous attempts, I fell short of 0.5 in Speaking & Writing. My Listening & Reading had always been >7.5. This time I followed Ryan writing structure, was not that bad at all, not sure what could be the reason for penalty in Writing.

Is there any success story with EoR in Writing score upgrade from 6 to 7 (Delhi - IDP center). Do I stand any chance yet or shud I bury it. I promised myself - this was my last try in IELTs. But I am unsure now - shud i go for EoR in writing.

With IELTS 0 points, my current EOI score as follows
189 - score is 60
190 - score is 65

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi,
If you are confident about your writing then go for re-mark.
Make sure there are no spelling mistakes....
The points score is OK for respective visa categories , but if you want to apply for SS, then check the IELTS score required for your occupation for that state.... most of the occupation require 7 in each section.

·
Registered
177 Posts
In my opinion you will definitely get the 0.5 you wanted. So go for recheck.

I have lost IELTS again (New Delhi IDP - July 12th). All previous attempts, I fell short of 0.5 in Speaking & Writing. My Listening & Reading had always been >7.5. This time I followed Ryan writing structure, was not that bad at all, not sure what could be the reason for penalty in Writing.

Is there any success story with EoR in Writing score upgrade from 6 to 7 (Delhi - IDP center). Do I stand any chance yet or shud I bury it. I promised myself - this was my last try in IELTs. But I am unsure now - shud i go for EoR in writing.

189 - score is 60
190 - score is 65

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
If you are confident about your writing then go for re-mark.
Make sure there are no spelling mistakes....
The points score is OK for respective visa categories , but if you want to apply for SS, then check the IELTS score required for your occupation for that state.... most of the occupation require 7 in each section.

I did score 7 in writing once, and TOEFL Writing I had 5 of 6. My occupation is open in SA & WA - where 6 is ok :confused2:

However, my Key concern is the low ceiling of 480. It might disappear after 1st Invitation is released August 1st - i fear. Had very high hopes on this 10 points from IELTS before August 1st.

Now I m doomed :mad:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mate, I have attempted IELTS 4 times, each time getting 6.5 in writing and 7 or above in rest. So gave my last attempt a remark as I was quite confident of increase by 0.5. Was Unsuccessful though! So really upto u.... I wud rather suggest to give IELTS another shot but from a remote location.

All the best with your decision anyways!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mate, I have attempted IELTS 4 times, each time getting 6.5 in writing and 7 or above in rest. So gave my last attempt a remark as I was quite confident of increase by 0.5. Was Unsuccessful though! So really upto u.... I wud rather suggest to give IELTS another shot but from a remote location.

All the best with your decision anyways!

Thanks mate for sharing experience. It helps

Was your EoR for Test results Delhi IDP/BC ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Idp

·
Registered
58 Posts
1st Attempt - Listen 8.0 Read 7.5 Write 6.0 Speak 6.5
2nd Attempt - Listen 8.5 Read 8.0 Write 6.5 Speak 7.0 (sent for re-mark, back with same score)
3rd Attempt - Listen 7.5 Read 7.0 Write 7.0 Speak 6.5 (sent for re-mark, back with same score)

wasted some a lot of $ on this IELTS...

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1st Attempt - Listen 8.0 Read 7.5 Write 6.0 Speak 6.5
2nd Attempt - Listen 8.5 Read 8.0 Write 6.5 Speak 7.0 (sent for re-mark, back with same score)
3rd Attempt - Listen 7.5 Read 7.0 Write 7.0 Speak 6.5 (sent for re-mark, back with same score)

wasted some a lot of $ on this IELTS...

Oh!
This seems EoR doesnt work at all !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oh!
This seems EoR doesnt work at all !
It is based on luck. You can always try.
I cannot even get a 0.5 increase in one of the band after repeated attempt.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is based on luck. You can always try.
I cannot even get a 0.5 increase in one of the band after repeated attempt.
i heard it depends on test center as well, my friends who appeared in British council - did get thru EoR, but i m yet to see successful EoR thru IDP.

I think i will wait till August 1st round of Invitation from DIAC

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've submitted for an "Enquiry of Results" or re-evaluation on my IELTS scores.

Original score: L8.5, R9, W7.5, S7.0

If you know about the IELTS examination format, you should know that Listening and reading are objective and chances of a positive outcome on remarking is small whereas writing and speaking are more subjective, especially speaking.

The outcome of my remark is that my speaking grade was bumped up by a full 1.0 bring it to 8.0 but my writing remains the same at 7.5.

Yes, remarking does work for some of us especially in the writing and speaking section.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,

Even i have applied for EOR through IDP for my results.
My initial results are, R: 8.5, L: 8.5, W: 6.5, S: 7. I just need 0.5 more in writing in module, once i get that then only i can apply for 189.

Already 7.5 weeks are over, not sure when IDP people are going to send me the revaluation results. Anticipating 0.5 increase in my initial writing result.

:)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

My initial results are, R: 8.5, L: 8.5, W: 6.5, S: 7. I just need 0.5 more in writing in module, once i get that then only i can apply for 189.

Already 7.5 weeks are over, not sure when IDP people are going to send me the revaluation results. Anticipating 0.5 increase in my initial writing result.

What happened ? Were you successful in getting an increase ? Am also sailing on the same boat and thinking about going for an EOR. Hence, am curious to know...

·
Registered
137 Posts

189 - score is 60
190 - score is 65
My writing score got remarked from 6.5 to 7. If you are confident, give it a try. Writing and speaking are subjective unlike listening and reading which have got fixed answers. Since revaluation is going to be done by a different person, he/she may find your writing better than what the first assessor felt. It does depend on luck too.
IELTS is a funny exam i have ever seen. They do not handover the answer sheets. If we are not informed of mistakes, how in this universe are we going to improve in the next attempt?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi,

Generally how much time does it take for EoR to come.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I heard from an IELTS tutor that a lot of mistakes have been made when marking the writing module. So I requested a remark. My band score increased 1.0. So now I've got L7.5 R7.5 W7 S7. I'm glad for that, but I find it ridiculous. 1.0 band increase is a reasonably large gap. Whoever marked the first time didn't have the proper training to be an IELTS examiner, or they want to increase the profits in the IELTS industry, or they want to make it harder for people to apply for PR.

YOU SHOULD REQUEST A REMARK, IF YOU ARE CONFIDENT THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN AT LEAST 0.5 MORE THAN WHAT YOU GOT( WRITING or speaking ONLY)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts