Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

My Fiance's visa was turned down for the second time this year. The last refusal letter says;

You have submitted an IELTS certificate demonstrating an overall score of 4.0. However as of the 18/07/2011 it became mandatory requirement for spouse applications to achieve a minimun of 4.0 in the Listening and Speaking components of IELTS. Whilst your overall score was 4.0, you scored only 3.5 in the Listening component of the examination.

This is my Fiance's score shown on the ILETS certificate:
Listening - 3.5
Reading - 3.0
Writing – 5.5
Speaking – 4.0
Overall band score 4.0

My understanding is as long as he gets 4.0 in Listening and another 4.0 in speaking, then the embassy will accept it, does it mean thatit won't matter if he fail on reading and writing? why have they not mention anything about reading being only 3.0? please explain it to me as my Fiance is due re-take the exam on Saturday.

To those who has taken the IELTS exam before, what are your scores and did the embassy say anything about it?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I guess you do as it says.

4.0 in listening and speaking and the others are irrelevant.

My wife who has just applied, she is Korean scored:

Reading - 8.0
Listening - 7.5
Speaking - 7.0
Writing - 6.5

In the academic version. Unfortunately as she is a doctor and wants to become GMC registered she needs 7.0 in all 4 areas so we still have not managed to get there yet! Its a real pain in the ass.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Guess I have least knowledge of such exams as i have not attempted any. To fulfil the English language requirement I have submitted my original Masters degree from indian university and an english language assessment letter from UKNARIC confirming that my qualification is equivalent to level C1.(CEFR) I can just wish u all the best of luck in what ever u do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Guess I have least knowledge of such exams as i have not attempted any. To fulfil the English language requirement I have submitted my original Masters degree from indian university and an english language assessment letter from UKNARIC confirming that my qualification is equivalent to level C1.(CEFR) I can just wish u all the best of luck in what ever u do.
Hi, just done my nvq by city and guilds for english and maths both passed. On top of that I have a diploma in mass communications; graduated in the Philippines. Does this mean I can use these two certificates as my english requirement?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Its better to get them certified through UK NARIC, in order to get the ECO satisfied. Member of this forum who studied her degree from US university got her refusal on basis that she did not qualify, hence we should not remain any stone unturned.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Its better to get them certified through UK NARIC, in order to get the ECO satisfied. Member of this forum who studied her degree from US university got her refusal on basis that she did not qualify, hence we should not remain any stone unturned.
Thanks. How did you get your degree certified by UK NARIC? Did you just send it alonh with a covering letter and presymably payment¿

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, I have submitted(faxed and paid online) the copy of my degree with a covering letter mentioning my address and purpose of the assessment. Within a week received my result from them.
Regards
Juhi

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, I have submitted(faxed and paid online) the copy of my degree with a covering letter mentioning my address and purpose of the assessment. Within a week received my result from them.
Regards
Juhi
Hi again, when you had your degree verified, did you pay for "English Language Assessment" and not the "Statement of Comparability right? Also, is the TOR and diploma enough for them to be able to assess?Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, it was english language assessment and paid for the charges online. TOC is what? Sory not good at short forms:)
I submitted my memos and degrees for assessment.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, it was english language assessment and paid for the charges online. TOC is what? Sory not good at short forms:)
I submitted my memos and degrees for assessment.
Sorry TOR i meant "transcript of record". Did you submit that and degree diploma?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yeah, if the records are in language other than English u need to submit the transcript as well, all my certificates were in English so i did not need any transcription.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had an English literature study at my university still they wanted me to do the IELTS and i am waiting for my results however i have received this email from them so u dont have to pay NARIC that much they are expensive
Knowledge Of Life Policy Queries

Mar 4 (6 days ago)

to me

Dear Madam,

You will see from our website, and the attached fact sheet, that we will accept a print out from the online points calculator, as evidence of an academic qualification that is comparable to a UK Bachelors, Masters or PhD degree, as the information on qualifications held in the calculator is provided by UK NARIC.

Applicants should access the calculator as a Tier 1(General) migrant, and the print out must show that the qualification has been awarded at least 20 points (which indicates comparability to a UK degree) and an additional 10 points for English language.

If the calculator does not award both sets of points, the applicant must submit a UK NARIC English Language Assessment.

We must be certain that the qualification is comparable to a UK degree, and that it was taught in English. The ELA will satisfy both these requirements.

It trust this answers your question

Ann Woodall | Nationality Operational Policy| Operational Policy & Rules Unit|Immigration and Border Policy Directorate | Home Office

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.