Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new in this forum and while browsing have already gonen so much information!
I have a question. I am applying as a Pre primary ( Early Childhood) Teacher in Victoria State and its in SOL list. When I applied for General Skills Assessment I didnt have to give my IELTS as I have an International Masters Degree in Education. However When I had to apply for my sponsership suddenly my agent said I need to give an IELTS exam. So Now im in a position where I need to get an 8 in all the bands to get the required points to apply as I los points due to my age. My question is I have been giving the Academic IELTS as that was required by my assessing agency since they didnt require my IELTS as I have an International degree, do I still give the Academic IELTS? or the General IELTS for immigration????? I a bit puzzled?
Thanks

Anjali

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

I've moved your post and made a new thread because you will get more replies on the main forum.

Dolly

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Hi I am new in this forum and while browsing have already gonen so much information!
I have a question. I am applying as a Pre primary ( Early Childhood) Teacher in Victoria State and its in SOL list. When I applied for General Skills Assessment I didnt have to give my IELTS as I have an International Masters Degree in Education. However When I had to apply for my sponsership suddenly my agent said I need to give an IELTS exam. So Now im in a position where I need to get an 8 in all the bands to get the required points to apply as I los points due to my age. My question is I have been giving the Academic IELTS as that was required by my assessing agency since they didnt require my IELTS as I have an International degree, do I still give the Academic IELTS? or the General IELTS for immigration????? I a bit puzzled?
Thanks

Anjali
If you're taking the IELTS just for the sake of points, then only the General IELTS test is required.

·
Registered
230 Posts
As far as I understand, if you are going for Academic reasons (like studying etc.) you must take the Academic version of the IELTS. However if you are going for a job (or any other purpose), it must be the General version. For your case, its an academic job so its bit confusing. I would still incline towards General as you are applying for a job. However you may want to confirm this with your Agent as well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the replies. It looks like I spent a lot of time doing the Academic where actually i was meant to do the General. This has been confirmed by the power that be DIAC :). Anyways since the points have been reduced I have let go of going through another bout of IELTS. Do you think I should do the general anyways?

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
If you currently meet the English language requirements, then there is no need to resit - your academic results will be accepted.
However, if you need to score higher and/or need more points, then you can sit the general module, which is easier.

Do check with the assessing body for your occupation though as oftentimes, they will require you to sit the Academic module.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you currently meet the English language requirements, then there is no need to resit - your academic results will be accepted.
However, if you need to score higher and/or need more points, then you can sit the general module, which is easier.

Do check with the assessing body for your occupation though as oftentimes, they will require you to sit the Academic module.
i agree with Maz. As far as i knw u are good with general IELTS , no matter what job u apply for. if u want to study , than u can go for academic. its quite simple u know.:)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have done the Academic, five time! in search of the elusive 8 in all bands! managed 8 and 8.5 but my writing was 7.5. So ya i was thinking about trying the General anyways to gain a higher score. My assessing body doesnt need an IELTS score as I have an American degree. But Im just going to take a break from the IELTS for a month. Quite embarrassing to meet the same speaking examiner over and over again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.