Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have applied for and received my WHP for Canada and I am looking to leave Australia for Toronto in March 2014. I am concerned about the airfare requirements: do I need to have a return airfare or can I get away with a one-way ticket?

I have been trying to find a link that confirms this but my google-fu skills aren't so good.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that what you did and you got through ok? i've been told it may vary depending on the immigration officer that you get at arrival.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
If you have the WHV documentation it permits you to work and live anywhere in Canada. How does the IO know how you plan to return to OZ? For all he/she knows you may be planning to go back via Europe or the USA.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Australian WHV are 2 years and its not possible to book a flight 2 years in advance. You do need to show proof of funds to book a return flight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I got this response from the immigration section of the Canadian Consulate in Sydney:

One-way ticket is allowed if you are flying direct to Canada but you should have evidence of funds to show that you could pay for a ticket to leave Canada at the end of your stay. If you are transiting the U.S. or another country, you might be required a return ticket; please check with your airline or travel agent if the airline requires a return ticket to allow you to board the plane.
The English of whoever wrote this isn't great so I sent them a reply to clarify. My current plan is to fly from Sydney to Hong Kong to collect my HKID and then fly onto Canada...so would that mean I would need a return ticket?

Australian WHV are 2 years and its not possible to book a flight 2 years in advance. You do need to show proof of funds to book a return flight.
At the time I enter into Canada?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Or proof of enough funds to be able to book onwards/return tickets

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.