Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So - new to region - 3 months, and the company TODAY announces 2 extra days off for Eid - Sunday and Monday - cool.

Now what... !>?

But a complete surprise to me, so I haven't got any plans! Talk about last minute holidays. I knew nothing of the Moon Committee.

I'm here without family at present and wondered if long termers could suggest a few cool things to do during the time?

Are there any events on which I shouldn't miss in Dubai?

Or any other big ideas... rent a car - go where?

Cheers

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you want to do something, act fast.
Car rentals and hotel rooms are going quickly, because of all the tourists coming in.
Things are going to be busy-the public beaches, malls etc.
Ideally, try to find a nice resort to stay in Dubai, Ras al Khaimah, possibly Oman. There is a Golden Tulip in Musandam, the Omani enclave that is much closer to Dubai. Be prepared to pay a premium for whatever you find though. Pay around with dates, as most people didn't get those extra days off until today or yesterday.
If money is an issue, or you don't find any vacancies, then why not a staycation? Sometimes it's actually more refreshing to stay at home, catch up on your Game of Thrones, read a book, go to the pool etc, just recharge your batteries.
Whatever you do, it's more fun when it's with another person, so try finding a buddy to chill with.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, since posting my question - I've phoned home and am getting my son out here a week early - so he can share the 4 days with me.

Changes things a bit, but get's me my little buddy - he's 14 - to do some stuff with.
He was coming next week - I'll get onto the Car hire thing first thing in the Morning... though good tip.

I also here that a lot of Saudi travellers arrive to shop in the malls etc.

Still interested in hearing more ideas though - I've done plenty of chilling at weekends on my own, time for movement!

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
How about a staycation? A lot of the hotels in the UAE have dropped their prices. Looks like business didn't really pick up as anticipated. There are plenty of offers if you look online.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks, since posting my question - I've phoned home and am getting my son out here a week early - so he can share the 4 days with me.

Changes things a bit, but get's me my little buddy - he's 14 - to do some stuff with.
He was coming next week - I'll get onto the Car hire thing first thing in the Morning... though good tip.

I also here that a lot of Saudi travellers arrive to shop in the malls etc.

Still interested in hearing more ideas though - I've done plenty of chilling at weekends on my own, time for movement!
OK so that's great-you won't be spending Eid on your own! Malls (especially The Dubai Mall) etc. can get very crowded, but always safe. My experience is that a lot of people come out exhausted from Ramadan, and many are traveling anyway, so I can't say you should avoid malls at any cost-just arrive there a bit early to avoid the rush, pre-book cinema tickets online etc.
If you want to find some good deals, try one of the coupon websites that offer discount and 241 deals-they offer everything from buffets to massages to weekend getaways.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is not a facetious question. Is it safe?
The plane ride or the destination? :D

Jordan is very safe-tons of visitors each year, top-notch resorts on the Dead Sea, visa-on-arrival for most nationalities etc. Plus plenty of flights on RJ, EK, FZ, G9. If the OP can somehow get a good deal for Jordan at any time of year he should go for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts