Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

ID numbers

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jungle_jane 
#1 ·
Hi all

I've been living abroad for nearly 30 years and applied for a new SA passport in London about 5 years ago. The process at the SA Embassy was pretty chaotic and it took a couple of years for the passport to finally come through.

Aside from that though when I took my 35 year old ID book along with me, the guy told me that my ID number was no longer valid and that there are now a new format of ID number. He told me I had to get a new ID.

I can't find any reference to this anywhere else and i've googled it extensively but everywhere it seems my old ID is still valid. My parents are also still using old green ID book with those same numbers.

Does anyone know anything different? I am moving back next year so hoping to resolve asap.

#4 ·
I think the problem is that your ID number was issued before 1986 when they changed to the new format where the second 4 digits indicate gender and the last three your resident status and check digits. You can just apply at Home Affairs it does not take long and your new ID book (or smart card if you were born here) will be ready in a couple of weeks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.