Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am from India, and wish to immigrate to a Country which is cold weather and mainly English speaking.

First I choose Canada but didn't find suitable Visa for me because I am self employed person, doing mobile game business with my younger brother, basically we develop mobile game and sell it through Apple app store and Android app store. And end of the every month we get revenue earned by our games. And paying tax early here in India.

Our work is location independent, because we can continue our work from anywhere in the world, where Internet access is available.

In Canada under self employed category, only world class athlete person and world class artists and farmers are allowed to come.

Me and my brother are not looking for job at the country where we are expat.

We have sufficient money for our selves to sustain in quality city like Toronto etc.
But don't have that much of money, that we can apply for investors type Visa.
In most of the countries like Canada Australia New Zealand etc... investor Visa is quit costly.

My age is 33 and married, and my younger brother's age is 27 single.
He is graduate but I am only diploma holder.

The reason for migrate are:
Better weather.
Better life style.
Better education for kids.
Most of the foreign countries have good infrastructure and transport, mostly roads are wide straight and clean with compair to Indians roads.
Basically wish to live the remaining life in a cold country peacefully.

Can anybody give some suggestions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know your motives but Canada would be my choice. Low crime rate, free schooling and medical services, and friendly, moral citizens. Otherwise the U.K. would be the only other cold weather country that speaks English.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know your motives but Canada would be my choice. Low crime rate, free schooling and medical services, and friendly, moral citizens. Otherwise the U.K. would be the only other cold weather country that speaks English.
Thanks for the reply.
You might not read my full post. I have clearly mentioned the reason for migrate.
Which are:
Better weather.
Better life style.
Better education for kids.
Most of the foreign countries have good infrastructure and transport, mostly roads are wide straight and clean with compair to Indians roads.
Basically wish to live the remaining life in a cold country peacefully.

We have enough fund to sustain in a standard city for around 2/3 years. And we can continue our work from anywhere from the world.

India is a hot weather country and this is one of the main reason for migrate, because we like cold weather.

Most people immigrate to foreign country for better job and earning more money. Which is not our intention.

But the problem is, there is no such visa for people like us, who earning money from home as a self employed.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
How cold is cold? It's a pretty short list: Canada, northern parts of the US, maybe the UK or Ireland or New Zealand depending on your definition of cold.

In all of these cases it's likely very difficult to get a visa in your particular circumstances.

·
Administrator
51,328 Posts
A self-employment visa is tough just about anywhere these days. Things are different if you're able and willing to create jobs for locals in the country to which you're moving. But as far as the English language countries are concerned, Canada is probably your best option.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How cold is cold? It's a pretty short list: Canada, northern parts of the US, maybe the UK or Ireland or New Zealand depending on your definition of cold.

In all of these cases it's likely very difficult to get a visa in your particular circumstances.
If maximum temperature not more that 25/30 degree, then it will be good.
My first choice was Canada but it's my bad luck that there is no appropriate Canadian visa for me.
Otherwise Canada is beautiful country, natural beauty is excellent. Lots of snow covered mountains lakes etc. Clean standard cities. Everything is perfect, but with my current situation I won't be selected. :sad:

A self-employment visa is tough just about anywhere these days. Things are different if you're able and willing to create jobs for locals in the country to which you're moving. But as far as the English language countries are concerned, Canada is probably your best option.
Cheers,
Bev
You are right, I am also eagerly wish to come to Canada, but no option for people like me. :sad:

·
Super Moderator
5,193 Posts
Well, sounds like it's time for Plan B then: Scandinavia and/or a different type of visa.
As he's been told before over on the Canada branch, if he applies for a work permit, his problem would be solved.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, sounds like it's time for Plan B then: Scandinavia and/or a different type of visa.
You are right.

I found while searching on net that, Finland has a self employed visa which seems quite suitable.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Self-employed persons need a residence permit for a self-employed person to practice their profession in Finland. You are self-employed if you practice a profession or are engaged in trade in your own name, or if you have a similar responsibility for a company.

It is most common for self-employed people to have an individually-owned business (toiminimi), to be a partner in an unlimited partnership company (avoin yhtiö), or to be a general partner in a limited partnership company (kommandiittiyhtiö).

If you are a silent partner in a limited partnership company (kommandiittiyhtiö) and you work in your own company, you will need a residence permit for an employed person.

If you own shares of a public limited company (osakeyhtiö) and you work in this company, you will need a residence permit for an employed person. A residence permit will not be granted on the grounds that you own shares; you also have to work in the company, and the work must be performed in Finland.

URL: Self-employed person - The Finnish Immigration Service
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have some questions:

1. Can I consider Finland is a English speaking country?
2. Is it good idea to immigrate to Finland?
3. How developed Finland is with compare to country like Canada?

·
Administrator
51,328 Posts
Finland isn't actually an English speaking country - but at least in the larger cities, I think you'll find that many people speak English. If you're planning to immigrate, however, you will eventually have to learn the Finnish language, which isn't the easiest language in the world.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finland isn't actually an English speaking country - but at least in the larger cities, I think you'll find that many people speak English. If you're planning to immigrate, however, you will eventually have to learn the Finnish language, which isn't the easiest language in the world.
You are right, that is the difficult part. There should be some English speaking people in capital city like Helsinki.

Lets see...

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
2. Is it good idea to immigrate to Finland?
Absolutely. An icy, frozen land filled with giant blond people who love ski jumping and rally driving, and speak a complex polysyllabic tongue - what could be better? Added bonus, the Finns invented Angry Birds, and long ago made cellphones.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Absolutely. An icy, frozen land filled with giant blond people who love ski jumping and rally driving, and speak a complex polysyllabic tongue - what could be better? Added bonus, the Finns invented Angry Birds, and long ago made cellphones.
Its great that, they have invented Angry Birds, and made cellphones.
I have watched some videos on youtube of Finnish language, as most said it is true that, this isn't the easiest language in the world.

I have another question that, how you guys think about Ireland?
Is it good idea to immigrate to Ireland?

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Is it good idea to immigrate to Ireland?
Absolutely. A damp, sodden land filled with pale-complexioned people who love drinking and speak with a delightful accent - what could be better? Added bonus, central heating is slowly replacing burning peat and coal, and the economy is doing slightly better than Greece.

·
Administrator
51,328 Posts
Ah, Nononymous - always the optomist!

Ireland is a lovely country, but if you're looking for "wide, straight" roads it may not be for you. Depending, too, on how you're planning on supporting yourself, it may not be the best place in the world to be looking for work just now (depending, too, on what line of work you're in).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Ah, Nononymous - always the optomist!

Ireland is a lovely country, but if you're looking for "wide, straight" roads it may not be for you. Depending, too, on how you're planning on supporting yourself, it may not be the best place in the world to be looking for work just now (depending, too, on what line of work you're in).
Cheers,
Bev
There are wide straight roads in Ireland. I lived in Cork for a year in the early 80s. A stretch of road extending out of town ran over three kilometres without a bend. Logically, the locals called it "the straight road". You can see it here.

·
Administrator
51,328 Posts
There are wide straight roads in Ireland. I lived in Cork for a year in the early 80s. A stretch of road extending out of town ran over three kilometres without a bend. Logically, the locals called it "the straight road". You can see it here.
Had to drive from Dublin to Cork at one point. Not alot of wide, straight roads on that route - except a bit at each end, close to the two big cities.

Still, I really like Ireland. It's just a matter of whether you can make a living there.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Had to drive from Dublin to Cork at one point. Not alot of wide, straight roads on that route - except a bit at each end, close to the two big cities.

Still, I really like Ireland. It's just a matter of whether you can make a living there.
Cheers,
Bev
The OP - who I should really stop trolling - wants to move somewhere cold and English-speaking where he can support himself independently by making mobile games. He'll have the same problem no matter where he tries to go - very difficult to obtain a visa to simply settle down as a self-employed one-person business. Even if it's a contribution to the local economy and all that.

My recollection of living in Ireland was that it was only cold indoors, not outdoors. But it didn't get hot either.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts