I was told that I should get a voltage regulator for my American purchased electronic equipment, is this true?
True. They are not expensive here, so no need to bring with you. Don't overuse them, they eat electricity since they modulate by "sluffing off" power. Almost more important is to have/establish three-prong grounded wiring. These are two different issues, but both should be addressed. If you buy appliances or electronics in Mexico, they are supposed to have already taken into account the voltage range of 110 to 135. Stuff you bring with you from NoB is presumably much more sensitive to these wide variations in voltage. I think the priorities are to ground, measure voltages over time, then decide what might need a regulator. Unplugging during thunderstorms isn't a bad idea either. ¡Qué le vaya bien!I was told that I should get a voltage regulator for my American purchased electronic equipment, is this true?
why are they not needed for laptops, is it because they have a battery? when i run my laptop, i do not have my battery installed (it saves the life of the battery) would that make a difference?On this topic, I know nothing because we don't have any of these units. Laptops don't require them. All of our other appliances were purchased in Mexico and we haven't lost even one in nine years. However, a next door neighbor, a Mexican who brought all of his appliances from the USA, where he had a business, lost three TV sets and two refrigerators in a surge. We were on the same transformer and we lost nothing. There is a message there.
An Uninterpretable Power Supply (UPS) is best used as a voltage stabilizer and surge protector. Please do not confuse a UPS with a non-battery surge protector, they are two completely different devices. A UPS contains a battery (Usually lead acid gel) that is constantly "floating" on the supply line. The AC mains charge the battery and the DC output of the battery is converted to Alternating Current of the correct voltage and frequency, which is usually 60 Hertz @ 120 volts +/-. When the voltage of the AC mains supply exceeds a predetermined range of low or high voltages, or the AC mains voltage is dropped (blackout), the solid state switching module of the UPS disconnects the connected devices from the AC mains and transfers the load to battery power. This transfer occurs within milliseconds of time. When the AC mains voltage has returned and/or stabilized, the UPS switches from the battery back to the AC mains supply. The run time on battery depends upon the capacity of the battery and the device load connected to the UPS. I have a UPS of 330 Watt capacity which will power my computer and peripherals for about 30 minutes in a blackout situation. The AC line conditions which damage computers and other electronic equipment is not the blackout, but the quick, a few seconds or less, drop and then return in AC mains voltage which produces large surge voltages which are deadly to most computers and electronic equipment. The UPS is the device that protects this equipment from these destructive voltage surges.I was told that I should get a voltage regulator for my American purchased electronic equipment, is this true?
All laptops operate on DC voltage provided by either battery or your AC/DC converter that plugs into the wall. These devices are fairly robust and provide a well-regulated DC output. For example, my Dell AC/DC converter will accept 100 to 240 Volts AC at 50 to 60 Hz.Laptops don't need special protection devices because, generally, the charger which powers the laptop is capable of using multiple voltages and delivering the correct voltage to the laptop. Also, you can leave the laptop unplugged whenever you aren't actually using it. Keeping the battery charged, allow you to use the laptop safely, even in violent storms, without being plugged in at all.
I've been doing that since 2001 in Mexico and my two Apple laptops are still just fine. I did have to replace the battery in the old one when it was about five years old.