Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone on Expat Forum,

I am new to the forum and have spent the last few weeks researching as much as I can into moving to Spain to work, bringing my partner with me.

We live in the UK and are both aged 23 and we are looking for a change of scenery before we have responsibilities that stop us from moving abroad.

We both have a small amount conversational Spanish speaking experience with the idea to study it further when we live en Espana.

Those of you have done this what advice can you give? Where do we start? What do we need to consider?

what are the pro's and con's of our decision to give up our lifes in UK to move to Spain?

I'd look all advice you can offer in both looking for work and places to live and what to expect.

Thanks everyone,

Shanie

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Your biggest hurdle is finding work, here there is 37% unemployment.

However if you have an income it is a fantastic lifestyle.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
To be blunt, now isnt a good time! Mass unemployment, the need to have an employment contract to entitle you to healthcare and of course the need for income will be your main hurdle

Jo xxx

·
Registered
801 Posts
Your biggest hurdle is finding work, here there is 37% unemployment.

However if you have an income it is a fantastic lifestyle.
Hola

Please correct me if I am wrong but the unemployment figure for under 25's is around 66%? It is 37% for over 25's ?

The OP is 23 !!!

Davexf

·
Registered
33,612 Posts

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
You might think, Oh I can live on say, €300 a month, BUT the authorities require you to prove that you have at least €600 per person, per month going into a Spanish bank account (sometimes they also require you to have €6,000 in capital in a Spanish bank). You will also need to show that you have full coverage (i.e. no co-pay) health insurance until you get a proper job with a contract and are paying Social Security. It is no use suggesting that you will do anything (wash dishes, bar work, etc.) since
a) so will the millions of unemployed Spaniards (there is no benefits street here) if they can find those jobs
b) you don't speak fluent Spanish, they do
c) working on the black doesn't pay social security and unless you have worked more than a year paying-in you won't get any unemployment when the job folds for the winter.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
'I want to live and work in Spain'......
As do six million unemployed Spaniards.
'Conversational' Spanish is of little use in the job market.
Sorry but not a feasible project.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello all

I really appreciate the advice and lots of help that I can't get elsewhere.

I am a realist so Im not gonna just dive in when there are lots of obstacles.

I'll gove it a good think and will still listen to further advice so keep it coming

Shanie

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Hello all

I really appreciate the advice and lots of help that I can't get elsewhere.

I am a realist so Im not gonna just dive in when there are lots of obstacles.

I'll gove it a good think and will still listen to further advice so keep it coming

Shanie
We can give advice but not help, not in the sense of finding jobs which is the key factor in deciding to move anywhere in the world.
Frankly, you have been given the most relevant advice, which is that your chances of finding work are very slim indeed.
There's not much more to be said because everything hinges on the work front.
It seems that many people in the UK don't know much about the practicalities of life in Spain, the everyday things which are the most important and which don't arise when you're on holiday. It's not their fault, it's down to those silly programmes about Spain and other countries that make everything seem so easy - buy the house, buy the ticket...easy-peasy. Real life isn't like that unless you have a secure, adequate income, whether as a retired person on a good income or you have work of one kind or another. Then, as Hepa says, life is indeed good.
However.....compared to the UK, Spain is a harsh country. Unemployment is high although decreasing slightly but pay is low and hours are long. Of course, Spanish is the language used by commerce and officialdom, no matter how many British, German etc. immigrants may be around. Speaking a little or even a lot of Spanish isn't that much use if you can't understand the rapid flow of Spanish you get in return...and understanding is the hardest part, putting a few words together is easy.
The benefits system here is contribution based so until you have put in you can't take out. You can't bring most UK benefits with you so if in the UK you got Child Benefit, Housing Benefit, Working Family Tax Credit...forget about it. They don't exist here.
Wages are low, hours are long and employment protection laws exist on paper and are almost impossible to enforce. I know someone whose employer refuses to pay him if he takes a holiday. He can do nothing....there are other unemployed people waiting to fill his shoes and he has a family to support.
Sunshine, sand and sea aren't really free...what in life is? The sun doesn't always shine in Spain, it can be bitterly cold, colder than in the UK. It snows....I'm on the coast where we rarely go below 10C in winter but a bare 30km inland it can freeze and snow.
I love my life here but I don't need to work and I have enough to live the way I choose. There is no way I would consider moving to Spain to find work even as a fairly well-paid professional.
My partner and I chose to spend our working lives in the UK so we had enough to enjoy a good lifestyle whilst of working age yet could save enough to retire abroad when we'd had enough of our working lives.
That was the most sensible choice for us and it may well be for you too.:)

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
We are a household of three adults and two small dogs. We own our house, mortgage-free. I am a OAP, my m-i-l is a 84 year old gringa but gets no pension. SWMBO works as an English teacher for a local academy. We worked like $^**%£%$ in UK to be able to sell our flat, buy this house and move here. We don't live the life of Riley but we are comfortable. Getting to that situation is no free-lunch - you have to work (d*mned hard) for it.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
I am another believer in spending your working life in the UK (or another country where jobs, especially well paid jobs, are more plentiful than Spain).

We sold up and gave up our jobs to move here when we were aged 50 and 57, I would not have dreamed of doing so before we were in a position to live in Spain without needing to work until our pensions became payable, even though we'd owned our house in Spain for almost 4 years before we could afford to make it our permanent home.

If you are financially independent, can do the sort of job where you can work remotely, can get a properly contracted job with a major employer (people who come to work for multi-national companies, for example) or can work elsewhere on a shift pattern and spend your time off here, then Spain is a great place to live. If not, it's a very hard struggle.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am another believer in spending your working life in the UK (or another country where jobs, especially well paid jobs, are more plentiful than Spain).

We sold up and gave up our jobs to move here when we were aged 50 and 57, I would not have dreamed of doing so before we were in a position to live in Spain without needing to work until our pensions became payable, even though we'd owned our house in Spain for almost 4 years before we could afford to make it our permanent home.

If you are financially independent, can do the sort of job where you can work remotely, can get a properly contracted job with a major employer (people who come to work for multi-national companies, for example) or can work elsewhere on a shift pattern and spend your time off here, then Spain is a great place to live. If not, it's a very hard struggle.
I don't disagree with the essence of what you say, but I would like to say a lot depends on what one wants from life. I mean, my work / life balance is infinitely better here and despite the fact I earn a pittance compared to my earnings in the UK, I don't need to earn as much here and it's not always the financial rewards that matters.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't disagree with the essence of what you say, but I would like to say a lot depends on what one wants from life. I mean, my work / life balance is infinitely better here and despite the fact I earn a pittance compared to my earnings in the UK, I don't need to earn as much here and it's not always the financial rewards that matters.
That's a good point. I've often daydreamed about moving out full time, and more so now that I would have accommodation mortgage free. I think I'm quite happy living a modest existence. I prefer days at the beach or exploring places over shiny things that cost money. That said, one can't live on fresh air, and it's the fact that I would still need some sort of work, to top up rental income from the UK, that always has me wary of making the jump.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
That's a good point. I've often daydreamed about moving out full time, and more so now that I would have accommodation mortgage free. I think I'm quite happy living a modest existence. I prefer days at the beach or exploring places over shiny things that cost money. That said, one can't live on fresh air, and it's the fact that I would still need some sort of work, to top up rental income from the UK, that always has me wary of making the jump.
Well, quite. There's no getting away from the fact that without some secure income life in Spain as anywhere else will not be enjoyable, period.
I don't think anyone has referred to 'financial gain' when discussing moving to Spain.
What has to be pointed out is that whatever lifestyle you choose requires funding and unless you are retired, that means a job of some kind.
It should also be noted that movingto Spain, however 'modest' an existence you may choose, is, when all is said and done, a consumer choice just as much as buying a house, car or washing machine and like all consumer choices, has to be paid for.
It's possible to spend days at the beach, wandering about and exploring the varied and beautiful British countryside too and it's possible to live in the UK without basing your life on buying 'shiny' things. life is what you make it wherever and one person's choice is as good as another's.
However you live in Spain, in palace or piso, as you so rightly say, you can't live on fresh air.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,113 Posts
I like others agree, unless you are offering something exceptional to the Job Market, or like others you are happy to live on a lot less, this is neither the time or the place IMHO

We are in our fifties, took early retirement and live on a very very limited budget. It suits us, because we have been there and done that, so to speak.

If I was in my 20's I would not be content with the lifestyle I have now, there are no support systems here, many young people are out of work, because there is very little work. In my 20's I wanted to go out, have fun, travel, that all takes money, even trips to the bars take money

I am interested as to why so many young people want to live and work here, when the news for the past few years has been so negative re Jobs economy etc. What is the big appeal of a country with no jobs and not many prospects for the young. The world is huge, I would rather save my money and start travelling . So why did you choose Spain as opposed to other countries

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's possible to spend days at the beach, wandering about and exploring the varied and beautiful British countryside too and it's possible to live in the UK without basing your life on buying 'shiny' things. life is what you make it wherever and one person's choice is as good as another's.
However you live in Spain, in palace or piso, as you so rightly say, you can't live on fresh air.
You are quite correct :)
And I think to some extent I am already doing that. I did the shiny things bit in my 20's and 30's, now I don't see the point. The result being that I am able to save to fund 'the dream' haha.

I've crunched the numbers, as our American cousins like to say, and would only need a couple of days work a week for it to work, rather than the full time job in the UK, but then... would even a couple of days work a week be available?
I would rather have the financial cushion already in place, and not have the NEED to work, but I am a long way off from retirement age, so there will be a lot of saving still to do! :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
U.K.
9,113 Posts
And I think to some extent I am already doing that. I did the shiny things bit in my 20's and 30's, now I don't see the point. The result being that I am able to save to fund 'the dream' haha.

I've crunched the numbers, as our American cousins like to say, and would only need a couple of days work a week for it to work, rather than the full time job in the UK, but then... would even a couple of days work a week be available?
I would rather have the financial cushion already in place, and not have the NEED to work, but I am a long way off from retirement age, so there will be a lot of saving still to do! :fingerscrossed:
I know what you mean. When we first thought about coming over, we considered buying a more expensive property and doing holiday lets.................then we woke up

cheaper property, finances secure in bank. no stress about HAVING to get income. Its not easy but its not a stretch either. In the 15 months YES 15 months we have been here, I have never felt like we have gone without. Sometimes fate pops in though. I have been offered 3 jobs since xmas. One of which I start at the end of August the other September..................I am working not because I have to, but because it helps with Health cover and trips back to UK to see Grandson, plus it gets me out and about and mixing with more Spanish helping me integrate even more

·
Registered
22,369 Posts

One day, my OH took a break from managing her business and we took a friend's dog for a walk in the woods. We just decided, literallyon the spot, to sell up, retire and move to Prague. Within three months we were gone for good. We could have worked on, made more money...our decision was not to. But...we had enough to live the way we wanted, not extravagantly but comfortably, with no worries.
One big lifestyle change is that we no longer have the urge or need to drive ''posh' newish cars. We are very happy driving elderly LRs and don't worry in the slightest about dents or scrapes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know what you mean. When we first thought about coming over, we considered buying a more expensive property and doing holiday lets.................then we woke up

cheaper property, finances secure in bank. no stress about HAVING to get income. Its not easy but its not a stretch either. In the 15 months YES 15 months we have been here, I have never felt like we have gone without. Sometimes fate pops in though. I have been offered 3 jobs since xmas. One of which I start at the end of August the other September..................I am working not because I have to, but because it helps with Health cover and trips back to UK to see Grandson, plus it gets me out and about and mixing with more Spanish helping me integrate even more
You have hit the nail on the head! I would most likely still 'want' to do some sort of work if I did make the move, possibly volunteering. It is the fact of being 'tied' to the job 5 days a week for long hours that I dislike at the moment. That time is not your own... However, on the flip-side, I am making hay while the sun shines and it may take 5 years or it may take 10, but I will get out to my wee house in Spain full time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
One day, my OH took a break from managing her business and we took a friend's dog for a walk in the woods. We just decided, literallyon the spot, to sell up, retire and move to Prague. Within three months we were gone for good. We could have worked on, made more money...our decision was not to. But...we had enough to live the way we wanted, not extravagantly but comfortably, with no worries.
One big lifestyle change is that we no longer have the urge or need to drive ''posh' newish cars. We are very happy driving elderly LRs and don't worry in the slightest about dents or scrapes.
I always follow your posts with feelings of slight jealousy, coupled with 'well done'...

The driving old cars thing I can relate to too... I have a van in the UK as it suits me for DIY projects and a 16 year old car in Spain that has no fancy extras... you want air con? Open the window haha. It's liberating in a way to be able to pare expenses down and live a more modest lifestyle.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts