Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just turned 18 and graduated from highschool. I have exactly $4000 to my name. I want to leave the country. Any country where English or Spanish is spoken. I've come to realization that I'm not to fond of life and need a new start.

Please, don't try to tell me "think it over", "you're still a kid", "go to college". I've thought this through. Nothing's going to change my mind.

It's as simple as that.

·
Administrator
51,353 Posts
OK, I won't tell you any of the stuff you don't want to be told. But your big "challenge" is going to be qualifying for a long-stay visa in just about any country these days.

If you want to work in a foreign country, you need a visa with a work permit - and normally the drill is that you find the job first, then have your employer justify hiring a foreigner to the government, at which point the employer can then sponsor your visa application. Most countries make employers jump through lots of hoops (and fork out considerable money) to justify hiring a foreigner, especially if the country has a high rate of unemployment among its own citizens.

Your mission is to find a country with low unemployment or where you just happen to have the skills and experience that are in short supply there. Do that, and you're all set.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I just turned 18 and graduated from highschool. I have exactly $4000 to my name. I want to leave the country. Any country where English or Spanish is spoken. I've come to realization that I'm not to fond of life and need a new start.

Please, don't try to tell me "think it over", "you're still a kid", "go to college". I've thought this through. Nothing's going to change my mind.

It's as simple as that.
Peace Corps

·
Banned
273 Posts
Buenos Aires, Argentina.... your money will go far (except for a few things like computers and iPods - you must bring a lap top and iPod with). Food is pretty cheap (best Beef in the world and excellent Wine, Beer is not bad), clothing, Taxi's, rent. Palermo Hollywood/Soho and Recoleta are 2 good areas to live in. San Telmo is cool, tons of character, but a bit dangerous at night. Do a web search for more info + You Tube video's (they don't do BA justice but they will give you an idea)..... Zoom

PS Place is loaded with beautiful women.....

·
Registered
254 Posts

It's as simple as that.
No reason to tell you to think it over if you have already done that. Let's assume you find a country that meets your criteria and assume you get a visa.. What do you plan on doing for a job. Have you researched it. I'm sure that at 18 yrs old, you have limited marketable skillsets. Do your abilities fit the needs of the place you are intending to live? You may want to do a job search for the area. Also, you may want to ck the cost of lodging. Although you have $4k, it may not last you very long without having income. What about Australia, Canada? Good luck. Hope you can make friends easily. At your age, if you make a mistake, you really don't have a lot to lose...

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Since Coloma Gold mentioned Australia you may want to investigate Work Holiday Visa for Australia. It allows you to stay for 12 months and you can work for 6 months out of that Visa Options - Working Holiday - Visas & Immigration.

However Australia is not as cheap as people think and I don't think that US $4K may go very far. You may also be limited to the kind of work that you can get but if you don't mind physical work you can get work in vineyards if you time it right.

I don't think you'll get into Australia on any other visa at present since they are really looking for skills and experience at the moment.

Regards,
Karen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts