Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Good going ET.

My meeting got cancelled. I booked a RDV with the SPF-E folks and not the SIP who I should have contacted. The SIP at two nearby locations are fully booked until June. I emailed my last contact at the tax office at Paris 11th but her email address is invalid now. I can't get into the system to mon espace where they advise me to go to the tax office to present my identity. I love these challenges!
Anyway, I'm just going to file a paper return like I did in 2017 and make a RDV in the summer to sort it all out. It shouldn't be a big deal it's only pension income and some bank interest.
They were also seeing people on a walk-in system at my tax office this morning. There were a fair few waiting but probably about 5 guichets seeing them, and the throughput seems quite rapid. I doubt people would be waiting for more than half an hour or so.
But your plan sounds fine. If they have any queries they'll get in touch, main thing is to get your form in.

·
Administrator
53,174 Posts
That's one really great thing about the Fisc (especially when you're used to dealing with the IRS or other more "aggressive" tax office) - they often waive any penalties if you have a decent explanation for what happened. And, the late filing penalty is 10% of what you owe - which often is 0€ - particularly on a first declaration where you are most likely not to owe anything anyhow.

·
Registered
Come from United States
40 Posts
Question regarding Cerfa 3916 - I've completed my filings for 2021 online and had to start from scratch as the data for this form wasn't carried forward from last year. Question is regarding interpretation of "assurance vie"; literal translation would be life insurance, but I do realize the French product assurance vie is a tax-favored investment. However, should I be reporting a whole life insurance policy with a cash value that we have had in the U.S. for 20+ years, thus has a substantial cash value? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
53,174 Posts
I would err on the side of caution and list your whole life policy. You don't have to give them the cash value - just the existence of the contract. And frankly "whole life" is the most similar thing in the States to this "assurance vie" stuff. There is no penalty for "over reporting" and no cost to doing so, either.

I used to report my IRA and 401K accounts as "assurance vie" until I found the section in the tax treaty where they were listed as being considered "government pensions" - so I stopped reporting them. If they have questions, they'll call or send you a letter asking for details. Chances are, though, they'll just file it until such time as it becomes relevant (like after you die - in which case it's your beneficiary's concern).

·
Registered
Come from United States
40 Posts
Thank you Bev, I agree completely with your logic. Our tax guy didn't think it was necessary to report last week when he did the filing, so he didn't include it. I wish I'd posted the question before the Tax docs were filed. Oh well, lesson learned and you can be sure I will make certain the whole life insurance policy is included in our Cerfa 3916 accounts for year 2022.
Your point is very valid also regarding when the tax stuff becomes important...after you die and beneficiaries have to deal with it and they are clueless. My goal is to get my French tax and Wills and Inheritance stuff in good order to simply estate settlement issues, but that's another topic.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts