Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Did I dream, or did I see a pop-up window that said if you have already declared foreign accounts (last year) and there are no changes, then 3916 is not obligatory and you can un-tick the box for that form ?
I just had a first glance and will go through in detail, but surprised no-one has mentioned it if it is the case.
I hope you are right. I haven't gone into mine yet because I am still ensuring I have all the details of my income and the various exchange rates, so if you could come back and confirm I would appreciate it. Seems reasonable as IIRC they previously asked about accounts closed during the tax year.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Did I dream, or did I see a pop-up window that said if you have already declared foreign accounts (last year) and there are no changes, then 3916 is not obligatory and you can un-tick the box for that form ?
I just had a first glance and will go through in detail, but surprised no-one has mentioned it if it is the case.
It used to be that the form appeared on your screen pre-populated and all you had to do for each form was to confirm that there were no changes and wave it through.. So it was no hassle really, but not having to do anything at all would be better still.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
It used to be that the form appeared on your screen pre-populated and all you had to do for each form was to confirm that there were no changes and wave it through.. So it was no hassle really, but not having to do anything at all would be better still.
Last year they asked for more details IIRC.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
3916 is obligatory but it is prefilled so if no changes since last year you just wander through it clicking on "suivant" and that marks it as filled. Be careful with this, one false click and it wipes the previous data, ask me how I know this ;)

And, if you have to add or delete an account as I did, then you have to step through the form until you get to the new one which will be blank.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Incidentally the site where you download the forms has been under maintenance all weekend. Maybe that means they are busy adding more forms :unsure:
The declaration part is working though - I just finished mine (I hope)

·
Registered
674 Posts
That's going to scupper me as I don't have pop-ups authorised .. I will have to remember to allow them when I get round to filling in the form.

·
Administrator
53,174 Posts
Last year they asked for more details IIRC.
Correct - and the quick look I got at the form 3916 before the site went down for maintenance seems to indicate that they now expect you to use the form for both bank accounts and foreign investment accounts (not just "assurance vie") rather than having separate forms (or rather asking simply for a listing). The other change last year was that they asked for specific data (i.e. URL address) for online accounts. The criteria used to be to report all accounts opened, closed or used during the tax year. Strikes me as "odd" that they would suddenly not require re-reporting of all accounts this year - but hey, lots of things they ask for here strike me as "odd" so who knows?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Correct - and the quick look I got at the form 3916 before the site went down for maintenance seems to indicate that they now expect you to use the form for both bank accounts and foreign investment accounts (not just "assurance vie") rather than having separate forms (or rather asking simply for a listing). The other change last year was that they asked for specific data (i.e. URL address) for online accounts. The criteria used to be to report all accounts opened, closed or used during the tax year. Strikes me as "odd" that they would suddenly not require re-reporting of all accounts this year - but hey, lots of things they ask for here strike me as "odd" so who knows?
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I had to get my forms completed at and by the fisc last year because just as I was about to finalise my declaration I realised that they wanted info about when the accounts were opened and leapt up to find the information (which I actually don't have) and, being very ill at the time, had a serious fall taking my laptop with me which I smashed and is now irreplaceable. I need to check what they put in, but I think they said it didn't matter (I opened them many years ago). WTF.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I had to get my forms completed at and by the fisc last year because just as I was about to finalise my declaration I realised that they wanted info about when the accounts were opened and leapt up to find the information (which I actually don't have) and, being very ill at the time, had a serious fall taking my laptop with me which I smashed and is now irreplaceable. I need to check what they put in, but I think they said it didn't matter (I opened them many years ago). WTF.
The date opened is pretty much irrelevant if it was before 1/1/2021 - just invent something plausible. That isn't just my opinion, it was professional advice from an expert and trusted source

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
The date opened is pretty much irrelevant if it was before 1/1/2021 - just invent something plausible. That isn't just my opinion, it was professional advice from an expert and trusted source
I will have a look at what they put in last year and leave it at that. anything. Even my banks have no idea because it was a fair few decades ago, and not the same decade for any of them. I won't be opening or closing any in the future anyway.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I will have a look at what they put in last year and leave it at that. anything. Even my banks have no idea because it was a fair few decades ago, and not the same decade for any of them. I won't be opening or closing any in the future anyway.
Assuming what went in last year is still there - in my case it vanished into the ether ;)

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I need to check what they put in
Do you mean, you need to check what information was submitted last year? If so that's not a problem because you can view and download all the forms you submitted in previous years. I've printed off the foreign account pages from my 2019 submission, hoping to be able to resubmit them as paper forms this year - but if not, at least I have all the info in front of me.

·
Administrator
53,174 Posts
I've normally left the opening date blank unless the computer program I'm using insists on putting in a date - in which case I estimate the year and then use January 1 as the opening date that year. For foreign accounts they aren't really going to check, particularly if the date is earlier than the current tax year. This year I emptied a foreign account but haven't officially "closed" it - but I plan to report it as closed (probably as of the date of the final transfer or something there about).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know what happens if you submit your declaration with missing documents or something not filled or checked correctly?

I signed up to a site to book an appointment with a professional to check my forms before submitting, but the applications for that service in my area are now full. If I end up mailing the forms without someone else checking them there is a good chance I will probably miss something or incorrectly fill something.

On that note, what google search terms should I use to find an alternative service? I think it's a little late for me to find an accountant but I'm open to ideas..

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
@myol Why not make an appointment at your tax office to submit it in person and let them check it on the spot?

That's what I'm doing. After they replied to say I couldn't submit online, I messaged them back saying, What happens if there are queries, can you contact me by message or by email? because if you send me a letter, I won't get it until October because I'll be working away from home all summer. Then I added, I was wondering whether to make an appointment to ask you to check it, but I don't want to waste your time...And I got a very succinct message back which from memory simply said, Ce serait prudent de prendre rendez-vous.
So I have, for a week Monday.
Why would you waste money asking an accountant to check it, when the tax office will do the same for free - and are probably more genned up.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts