Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a short period out of France, having returned last year I went to do my declaration all gung-ho thinking it would be easy because I had already been told exactly what boxes to use, and I've always got on well with online declarations in the past, and I had the wind taken right out of my sails when I got a message saying that since this is my first declaration I have to submit it on paper. I messaged the tax office and said Is this right because it's not actually my first declaration? and they said Well yes we can see that you are already known to the service, but unfortunately if the system blocks you there is nothing we can do about it, you will have to submit on paper this year

Now I'm finding it a bit hard getting my head round all the separate forms. Of the 5 forms currently listed for download here Formulaire n°2042 I have downloaded 2042-C-PRO which is where my micro entreprise income will go (I think), but none of the other forms that are currently available seem to be the ones I want.

Am I right in thinking that the forms I need to be looking out for are firstly the basic 2042 form that starts off with details about your personal situation, which is also the form where I will declare my salary, and secondly a form whose number I don't know where I will declare foreign income i.e. my UK annuity? Those are the only three income streams I had in 2021.

Then I was planning to download and print off the overseas bank account forms that are part of my last declaration in 2018, and resubmit those pages just as they are, because none of the bank account details have changed - do you think I'll get away with that?

Does that sound about right, have I forgotten anything? Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
2,146 Posts
Earnings from abroad go on form 2047..........

and Macron is a numpty and France is deep in the smelly brown stuff.

Reactions: BackinFrance

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes the general revenue for 2022 is not there, and it is for all the other years listed. I had this problem as well and did a good deal of searching and calling. I think it stems from French people, like my husband, no longer having the option of filing on paper this year, as it’s all online for them, so they aren’t even offering the form. Finally I gave up and made an appt with the tax office. I’ll let you know if I get ahold of a paper form link for this year.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the general revenue for 2022 is not there, and it is for all the other years listed. I had this problem as well and did a good deal of searching and calling. I think it stems from French people, like my husband, no longer having the option of filing on paper this year, as it’s all online for them, so they aren’t even offering the form. Finally I gave up and made an appt with the tax office. I’ll let you know if I get ahold of a paper form link for this year.
I think they drip them out one at a time so it is probably just a case of waitihg until they get round to it.
But you would think they'd make that one available first wouldn't you since it's the one that everybody needs.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Conks, is that the same for unearned income? I was told box 1AM but I wasn't told what form this box is on because at that point we all assumed I'd be doing this online.
And do you have to carry the figure over onto 2042, do you know?

·
Registered
3,149 Posts

and Macron is a numpty and France is deep in the smelly brown stuff
Ah, French administration, why make things qmple if you can make them ever more complicated and less intelligible every year, and Macron is a master at that whilst at the same time saying he is simplifying everything.

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
2,146 Posts
Thanks Conks, is that the same for unearned income? I was told box 1AM but I wasn't told what form this box is on because at that point we all assumed I'd be doing this online.
And do you have to carry the figure over onto 2042, do you know?

The figures have to be carried over to 2042 and box 1AM sounds like a 2042 box.I think it depends on exactly what sort of 'unearned income ' you mean.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was OK with paper forms apart from the years they changed the boxes. Then it was a RDV at the tax office to let them fill it out for us. Then it went online. Tried it once and kept copies hoping it would help as a reference the following year. Nope. The following year things had changed again. So now its back to the tax office, probably every year unless they can settle on one simple format.

·
Administrator
53,166 Posts
You would be surprised at the "subtle" changes they make from one year to the next in those "basic" forms. This page from the Fisc gives you an idea of the basic forms you need to print off: Comment puis-je me procurer les formulaires pour déclarer mes revenus la première fois et où les déposer? They seem to indicate that when you print off the 2042 form, you'll get all the various annexes. You may want to also print off the "Notice" for the various forms. Those often give you information on what amounts are supposed to come from or carry over to other forms.

And on those forms for declaring your foreign bank accounts, just be advised that last year they separated the basic form into two forms 3916-3916bis. This year it's a single form again, but now it's used for both foreign bank accounts and "capitalization contracts" (used to ask for "assurance vie" contracts) - with a separate section that needs to be filled out for online accounts (like your Wise currency accounts). It's basically the same form, but just read the questions carefully before you answer. (Wise gives you the account number and address information for each currency account.)

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The figures have to be carried over to 2042 and box 1AM sounds like a 2042 box.I think it depends on exactly what sort of 'unearned income ' you mean.
It's a UK pension annuity - I explained it at the tax office and after some discussion that is the box they told me to use (I'm sure about that because the nice taxman wrote it down for me on my bit of paper and I have it in front of me).

You would be surprised at the "subtle" changes they make from one year to the next in those "basic" forms. This page from the Fisc gives you an idea of the basic forms you need to print off: Comment puis-je me procurer les formulaires pour déclarer mes revenus la première fois et où les déposer? They seem to indicate that when you print off the 2042 form, you'll get all the various annexes. You may want to also print off the "Notice" for the various forms. Those often give you information on what amounts are supposed to come from or carry over to other forms.
But 2042 isn't there to print off!

And on those forms for declaring your foreign bank accounts, just be advised that last year they separated the basic form into two forms 3916-3916bis. This year it's a single form again, but now it's used for both foreign bank accounts and "capitalization contracts" (used to ask for "assurance vie" contracts) - with a separate section that needs to be filled out for online accounts (like your Wise currency accounts). It's basically the same form, but just read the questions carefully before you answer. (Wise gives you the account number and address information for each currency account.)
Oh rats, so I suppose I can't just photocopy the forms from previous years.
They did used to accept it if you just wrote out a list of accounts on a sheet of paper... no, I'm clutching at straws aren't I.
Six flippin' forms to fill in, and me dyslexic with numbers. I'll never get all those figgers in the right order, it's not possible..

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
It's a UK pension annuity - I explained it at the tax office and after some discussion that is the box they told me to use (I'm sure about that because the nice taxman wrote it down for me on my bit of paper and I have it in front of me).

Cool. That's my sole income, and I always consider it earned ! So on 2047 it goes in the main section pension, retraites etc. and there is a note that tells you to carry forward to 1AL or 1AM on 2042. 1AM is the one I use.

Good Luck;

Reactions: EuroTrash

·
Administrator
53,166 Posts
But 2042 isn't there to print off!
Hm, you're right. But if it's not there now, it should be available sometime in the next few days. They do this every year - string out the release of the final forms until nearly the end of April.

I know I just got into our ClickImpot thing for this year and they have a list of "final forms" they expect within the next few days. It's lovely to see that they have fixed quite a few of the annoyances from last year (i.e. from the initial conversion of the system to an online one) but it seems to be a tradition here that just because the filing season is officially "open" it doesn't mean that all the forms and functions you need are actually ready to download or use. (Probably intentional to keep all the foreigners on their toes - and to coddle the French, who don't seem too inclined to do these things much before the final final due date. <g>)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for digging those up BiF.
This year's form looks identical to the ones I did for 2018 (x 6) so I don't see why I can't print them off as they are with all the details entered, and resubmit them this year.
(y)
Did I dream, or did I see a pop-up window that said if you have already declared foreign accounts (last year) and there are no changes, then 3916 is not obligatory and you can un-tick the box for that form ?
I just had a first glance and will go through in detail, but surprised no-one has mentioned it if it is the case.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts