Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I never really understood this: why do tourists bring their camera into the mall?

6K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Elphaba 
G
#1 · (Edited)

Meet Johnny, he's my made up tourist dude that just arrived to Dubai! YAY! DUUUUUUBAIIIIIIIII..... :)

I thought I'd post up this topic on here because I never really understood why so many tourists take their video camera, digital camera, satellite cameras or any other type of camera to the mall...? I mean, what is there that's so breath taking at; MOE, City Centre, Festival City, Mercato...? Dubai Mall yes, because of the Acquarium and the LCD displays in the centre... but besides that, nothing.

The funniest is when I see someone taking a pic in front of the window of a shop with the camera flash! What they do not realize is, flash + reflection is very bad for the image, secondly it proves their just window shoppers hahaha...

What's even more crazy is; there are a certain type of "individuals" who take their video cameras on weekends to IKEAAAAAA and just roam around... I mean WHAT THE H-E-L-L is going on here? hahaha...

Well you might think I'm nuts, but I bet the next time you see someone with a camera inside the mall or especially at IKEA you'll think of me ;)

-Joey

See less See more
#2 ·
Meet Johnny (attached), he's my made up tourist dude that just arrived to Dubai! YAY! DUUUUUUBAIIIIIIIII..... :)

I thought I'd post up this topic on here because I never really understood why so many tourists take their video camera, digital camera, satellite cameras or any other type of camera to the mall...? I mean, what is there that's so breath taking at; MOE, City Centre, Festival City, Mercato...? Dubai Mall yes, because of the Acquarium and the LCD displays in the centre... but besides that, nothing.

The funniest is when I see someone taking a pic in front of the window of a shop with the camera flash! What they do not realize is, flash + reflection is very bad for the image, secondly it proves their just window shoppers hahaha...

What's even more crazy is; there are a certain type of "individuals" who take their video cameras on weekends to IKEAAAAAA and just roam around... I mean WHAT THE H-E-L-L is going on here? hahaha...

Well you might think I'm nuts, but I bet the next time you see someone with a camera inside the mall or especially at IKEA you'll think of me ;)

-Joey
i have just been to the top gear show in dublin when the presenters came out all the flashes went of dont people realise flashes are only efective upto around 10 ft ish oh and people with point and shoot cameras using digital zoom it does nothing except ruin picture quality thanks rant over Flickr: at least i try's Photostream

#5 ·
JoeyDee: I noticed in another post that you are from Ottawa, Canada. I currently live in Montreal and I'm moving to Dubai by the end of january 2009. What field do you work in? And how do you find it so far? Are you considering moving back to Canada? If so, why? I'm a tad nervous as I am aiming for a real estate job and the market is apparently completely dead down there. Any info or opinion you can share with a fellow Canadian will be very much appreciated!

G
#6 · (Edited)
Dude - I also live in Montreal, in St-Leornard!

I work in the Cinematic business - So bring movies from Hollywood & all parts of the world & market them in Dubai & across the UAE & Middle-East. In general entertainment is quite strong all over the world, Hollywood hasn't been affect by the financial crisis, however Real Estate and other types of retail banking and stuff like that are affect. Also Dubai is broke right now, take Emirates Airlines as an example, a large share of it was sold to Abu Dhabi Government due to minimal liquidity.

I worked all over Europe as a Creative Director and I was coming to Dubai every week if not every 2 weeks on business, so finally I got tired of always flying from various parts of Europe to Dubai and decided 2 years ago I'd come here... so I did... but you see, in Cinema not a lot of people who come to Dubai first think of working in that business... they all think like you, Real Estate or Finance or Advertising but those markets are saturated BIG TIME! And for now it's not a good time.

Im thinking of leaving DUbai by 2010, not sure where I'll go next, I'm thinking maybe, MAYBE - Moscow, Prague or back to the States, NY or LA.

But I do miss Canada - I go back every 4 months and just suck up everything it has to offer, that means even just sitting on the patio and starring at a large maple leaf tree!

BTW I heard the Canadians are doing very good this year no? If it was one thing I'd wish for in Dubai, it would be to watch a live HOCKEY game!

-JOey

#11 ·
If you have a secure job in Canada, I would say stay there (at least until things improve!)! It's not worth coming out here at the mo; too many people are losing their jobs and the sad truth is that there is no such thing as employment rights here! No one cares - it's every man for himself!

#14 ·
iIm waiting for an answer to yr question too because I'm already living in Dubai with my husband and I was considering looking for job in hospitality I don't need to live on my earnings tho, it would just be a contribution to the household for extras. Wish you luck

#17 ·
JoeyDee: Out of curiosity and since your in the entertainment business, do you think there would be work for someone who does voice overs in Dubai? People always tell me that I have a radio voice and I'm the one who does all the greeting/hold messages in the hotel where I work. If I can't find a decent job I might try to get a couple of voice over gigs if possible

G
#18 ·
The entertainment business is one hell of a drug! (Rick Jamessss!)

You'd most deff have to start off a freelancer, that's for sure. If you want to be on the radio and have a good voice and all that jazz check out ARN (Arabian Radio Network) they are quite big here and check it out, stations like 103.8fm and so on...

I've been on the radio a few times to talk about films & cinemas in the UAE & across the Middle-East and the technology and system they use is like outdated stuff!

Check it out - why not!? But i'll tell you something, employers are preferring to hire people already in the UAE because they do not have the money to fly someone here for an interview, then find him a place to stay, then giving furniture allowance and so on... it all ads up dude :(

But check it out - it doesn't hurt to try!

-Joey

#22 ·
Gee doesn't sound hopeful I might have to join Expat women and make gardening and house work my career, doesn't sound very hopeful, I thought it would be easy to get some mundane care free job if you had a bit of experience, spoke english, and were white (not meant to be a racious comment), disappointing.

#23 ·
fling myself

I would have to fling myself off of a bridge if I had to stay at home and chase dust bunnies. Macca you would be bored out of your skull. You would have to take up drinking full time and you know how hard it is to get a liquor license. Pretty soon you will be sitting on the rug spinning circles on your big wheel, blowing bubbles saying bah bah bah. :eek:

On another note. The atlantis is still rebuilding areas and has delayed hiring me until they get that area repaired. I will be delayed 2 months but it is still on the table. Hope their not yanking my chain. Meanwhile I guess I'll keep the job I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.