Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So I'll try to make this as simple as possible.

I recently joined Company X 6 months ago. Very decent company, decent pay and I am very happy with the people I work with. I have a very good working relationship with my director and my team is great. I am very liked and would like to consider myself as an integral part of the company.

I got a job offer from Company Y which is so hard to resist, financially speaking. It is AED6,000 more plus a car, which I would assume would amount to a AED7,500 hike in my salary. This as we all know changes a lot of things, A LOT!

The problem is, Company X and Company Y are direct competitors, and leaving Company X will mean a lot of trouble will/could start, especially given the sensitivity of information I deal with daily. It is also the kind of industry where my clients would most probably come with me.

Additionally, I will NEVER EVER advance with Company X because of the politics involved and it's internal structure. With Company Y, there are no promises of advancement, but I know for sure that there is a better chance of advancing depending on your performance.

Last but not least, Company X is at the stage of it's life where it's growing, expanding and diversifying it's products and services. It has about 60 offices worldwide. Company Y is old, big, much more stale and mature. It has 600 offices worldwide.

Legally, and ethically, what would you do? I am so confused right now!

·
Registered
84 Posts
noisyboy said:
Hello all,

So I'll try to make this as simple as possible.

I recently joined Company X 6 months ago. Very decent company, decent pay and I am very happy with the people I work with. I have a very good working relationship with my director and my team is great. I am very liked and would like to consider myself as an integral part of the company.

I got a job offer from Company Y which is so hard to resist, financially speaking. It is AED6,000 more plus a car, which I would assume would amount to a AED7,500 hike in my salary. This as we all know changes a lot of things, A LOT!

The problem is, Company X and Company Y are direct competitors, and leaving Company X will mean a lot of trouble will/could start, especially given the sensitivity of information I deal with daily. It is also the kind of industry where my clients would most probably come with me.

Additionally, I will NEVER EVER advance with Company X because of the politics involved and it's internal structure. With Company Y, there are no promises of advancement, but I know for sure that there is a better chance of advancing depending on your performance.

Last but not least, Company X is at the stage of it's life where it's growing, expanding and diversifying it's products and services. It has about 60 offices worldwide. Company Y is old, big, much more stale and mature. It has 600 offices worldwide.

Legally, and ethically, what would you do? I am so confused right now!
Hi noisyboy,

I'd have a look at your contract if I were you. It may be that you have a restrictive covenant in it which prevents you from working for a direct competitor within a certain amount of time I.e 12 months from the end of your contract.

I'm not sure if these exist in contracts in Dubai or if they are enforceable there.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Bro,

You know the answer for that question. Bear in mind that people go through these choices all the time. I could have doubled my earnings very recently but that would 've meant working 9 hours more per day and move to the private sector. I currently work 5 or even less. So yeah I like my personal time and you can call me lazy lol

Are you planning to make a career here in the UAE or not ? Start from there.

Changing jobs within 6 months is not well seen if you happen to go back to Canada. you literally burn yourself with the company who hired you. You are seen as an opportunist. If your resume popped in my hand I would definitely ask you why you left the company in 6 months. Why ? You may look dodgy. I had gone through a similar experience in Ottawa. My ex boss back then asked me why I changed jobs so fast in NY. Well there, there is a huge turnover (it is an expensive place to live) and there are lots of qualified people to take over.

Turns out, though, that several people do that; but those who stick around for a while are not questioned for their competency. If you stick couple of years with a company, the new employer will have no doubt that you are good at what you do after all you 've been working for the same place for a while.

I might be completely wrong if your occupation has a high turnover rate.

I personally do not like and I believe employers look for people who can stay for a while. I would not change jobs or take any jobs without at least having one year of experience in that company, but as you said it appears to be a good hike.

Was that offer hunted by you or offered by the competition ? If you like where you are at you may say that you got an offer and maybe they can match ?

I bet you gotta do some thinking there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Take the offer to your current employer and ask them to match it or you're offski.

No point in being loyal to a company for the sake of it, as soon as they take a dip in profits, they won't hesitate to kick your ass on the streets.

It's not just more money, it's a better chance of career progression. You don't owe anyone any favours.

That said, if your current employers decide to be dicks about it, you could find yourself without any job.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Gavtek said:
Take the offer to your current employer and ask them to match it or you're offski.

No point in being loyal to a company for the sake of it, as soon as they take a dip in profits, they won't hesitate to kick your ass on the streets.

It's not just more money, it's a better chance of career progression. You don't owe anyone any favours.

That said, if your current employers decide to be dicks about it, you could find yourself without any job.
I'd definitely not take the offer to your current employer as he will realise that you are looking elsewhere & question your loyalty to them. It is a great deal you've been offered, but companies value loyalty. Not just the company you are with now but future employers will see that you were with them for a few years for example, it will stand you in much better stead in the future.

Justine

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the responses.

Canuck_Sens, this opportunity came directly from the competitor. They have had the chance to see my work and would like for me to join their team. I am looking to build a career for myself to answer your second question.

This is such a hard decision. If I was going into a higher position, then I would have said yes in no time. The problem is that it's for the same position. But then again, this amount of money can change my life.

If anyone has anything else to add, please do. I will update this thread once I make a decision. Thanks again

·
Registered
29 Posts
Noisyboy,

I guess it comes down to your career requirements. If company X is growing rapidly then that may in turn help you with career advancement even though you say the company structure is not the best.

Its often a trade off with whats best for your career versus dollars. I have seen colleagues/clients go for the fast buck earlier on and after a couple of years they have paid the price.

Tough call.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Gosh, this is such a tricky one! I would say take the money out of the equation and write down the pro's and con's of each opportunity, having it on paper might help you see things more clearly. The money must be very tempting but ultimately you will have to work doubly hard to earn it. Plus no amount of money can buy you colleagues you value and get on with. Don't compromise your quality of life for the sake of money. Also from my own experience be careful about being honest about this other offer with your current company. I once did that in the name of loyalty and they tried to discipline me for going for another job interview! Good luck and let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I'd definitely not take the offer to your current employer as he will realise that you are looking elsewhere & question your loyalty to them.
Assuming his current employer isn't a jealous idiot who would take it personally, most people these days are practical enough and know that employees come and go. Chances are his line manager doesn't own the company and will probably be keeping one eye on the job market himself.

The reason for going to your employer and saying "I've just received an offer out of the blue from Company Y, it's a much better financial package than I'm on and I'd be crazy not to consider it, however, I'd be concerned about letting you guys down and going to a competitor, is there anything you can do?" is not only to try and get more money out of them, but also to gauge their reaction so you can judge how they would react if you did resign.

If you're working for good people, you won't have a problem and they'll appreciate you being open and honest with them. It's up to you to judge if they're that sort of people.

I would refuse to pay any attention to anyone who thinks it's wise to stick in an underpaid job with less opportunities just because it doesn't look good on your CV. The only people who are rewarded by your loyalty is your employer. It's called "work" for a reason, do what's best for you and your family, no-one else.

I've got a couple of jobs on my CV that I quit after 3 months, it hasn't done me any harm and most employers have been practical enough to understand my reasoning for leaving. Showing the conviction that you won't waste your time in a job working for idiots with your career going nowhere is a good thing in the eyes of a good employer.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Better the devil you know than the devil you don't!

Quite frankly, AED 7,500/- a month is a very small price Company Y is paying if you are moving there with your entire client database.

If they see you as potentially an invaluable asset then let them make an offer that you just can't refuse. Just a pay hike of AED 6,000/- and a car won't cut it in my opinion. Now is your opportunity to negotiate and also to find out if they can draw up a future plan for you. Get a percentage increase on all grounds (housing, airline tickets, retirement benefits, stock options etc etc).

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Apart from the dilemma you also need to consider the law. Unless you are in a free zone company etc, there might be a labour ban for leaving the company so quickly (I think laws were changed, but then not implemented, then "clarified", then implemented poorly, or something like that - so absolutely no idea what the current laws/practices are any more).

Also, you have mentioned the 7500 figure and that it is important. However, if you are going to a competitor AND with a client base. I hope the 7500 is at least 40-50% higher than the current salary. [I would not move for less than 20% jump in salary if I bring nothing substantial to the table; but if I was in a position like you are, I would not move for less than 40% jump]

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/e...rs-slapped-with-six-month-labour-ban-1.848607
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/e...h-for-workers-seeking-to-change-jobs-1.939633

a legal consultant at the Ministry of Labour clarified the new rules and said expatriate workers would still receive a one-year ban if they failed to get their sponsor's consent before changing employment.
"No one is allowed to switch jobs even if they complete many years in their [current job], without the consent of their sponsor," Hussain said.

·
Registered
880 Posts
As someone already mentioned, company X seems to be growing as you say and in my experience, growing companies have a bit more potential for individual growth. Of course, you know best if this is true or not for company X.

This is a fairly personal decision in my opinion so you will have to make the ultimate decision on your own. If you are simply looking for opinions, I would personally stay with company X. If I like the environment and the people I work with, this holds much more value to me than money - certainly more than 6k ... maybe if it was 15+ k, I'd reconsider ;)

I work for a small company and really enjoy it, certainly don't miss the big company environment. I have had offers from bigger outfits before and I guess the number hasn't been right for me to make the move.

Hope you make the decision which is good for you and your family. GL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
they should be part of moral.. when ever you do any thing,,, I believe if you make your move you will loose a lot.. you have to consider the value of happiness with the people you work with, the value of the very good working relationship with director and team,,,, and then you will find that your salary is much more than the new offer... I had the same experience, I move because of money and not agree with one of the manager .. but I felt so sorry ,, after accepting high salary offer ,,, and found that the environment not that good and friendly ...
moreover ... the new company will not trust you ... you are always ready to move ,,,,
finally the term of your contract will bind you ,, the trustee terms also

·
Banned
423 Posts
they should be part of moral.. when ever you do any thing,,, I believe if you make your move you will loose a lot.. you have to consider the value of happiness with the people you work with, the value of the very good working relationship with director and team,,,, and then you will find that your salary is much more than the new offer... I had the same experience, I move because of money and not agree with one of the manager .. but I felt so sorry ,, after accepting high salary offer ,,, and found that the environment not that good and friendly ...
moreover ... the new company will not trust you ... you are always ready to move ,,,,
finally the term of your contract will bind you ,, the trustee terms also
And the prize for "The most difficult to read post of the week" goes to....

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I would just say if you move, be sure you are willing to stick with company Y for a while (at least 5 years I would say). Sounds like you may burn some bridges and you need to consider what long term impact that might have. But you will be asked in every interview you go into why you left that job after 6 months and you need a good explanation that fits you. I left a job after 6 months and it is always asked about, I have a good reason that fits my personality and also I stayed at my next company 5 years and when I was leaving there had a very valid reason

That's my $.02

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
fcjb1970 said:
I would just say if you move, be sure you are willing to stick with company Y for a while (at least 5 years I would say). Sounds like you may burn some bridges and you need to consider what long term impact that might have. But you will be asked in every interview you go into why you left that job after 6 months and you need a good explanation that fits you. I left a job after 6 months and it is always asked about, I have a good reason that fits my personality and also I stayed at my next company 5 years and when I was leaving there had a very valid reason

That's my $.02

Well when I asked Company X 6 months ago during my interview how can I go about advancing in this company, I was given the bull**** response of "oh, so much room for advancement here." You know what, I've seen how the most valuable employees are treated here. 5 years not a single promotion, a demotion instead. Why? I don't know. All I know is that I don't feel good when I see that, regardless of how much I enjoy working with the people. My career is much more important.

Thank you all once again for the replies. I am meeting with someone from Company Y tomorrow to have a more sincere discussion about this issue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
noisyboy said:
Well when I asked Company X 6 months ago during my interview how can I go about advancing in this company, I was given the bull**** response of "oh, so much room for advancement here." You know what, I've seen how the most valuable employees are treated here. 5 years not a single promotion, a demotion instead. Why? I don't know. All I know is that I don't feel good when I see that, regardless of how much I enjoy working with the people. My career is much more important.

Thank you all once again for the replies. I am meeting with someone from Company Y tomorrow to have a more sincere discussion about this issue.
I thought you enjoyed working where you are noisyboy? It sounds as though things have changed since your first post?
There's no harm in meeting up with the people from Y to see what they are all about. It's a tough decision but sometimes people from the outside can give you an unbiased view...it doesn't always make it easier though!
Let us know how you get on tomorrow.
Jus

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JusAdy_Glasgow said:
I thought you enjoyed working where you are noisyboy? It sounds as though things have changed since your first post?
There's no harm in meeting up with the people from Y to see what they are all about. It's a tough decision but sometimes people from the outside can give you an unbiased view...it doesn't always make it easier though!
Let us know how you get on tomorrow.
Jus
Hello,

I didn't say I don't enjoy working with them?! Did I convey that somewhere? Maybe I did. To clarify, I enjoy it a lot, I have a very good relationship with almost everyone but it bothers me inside to see that there's no chance of advancing.

I also said that no matter how much I enjoy working with them, my career is much more important. I hope that clears things.

·
Registered
84 Posts
noisyboy said:
Hello,

I didn't say I don't enjoy working with them?! Did I convey that somewhere? Maybe I did. To clarify, I enjoy it a lot, I have a very good relationship with almost everyone but it bothers me inside to see that there's no chance of advancing.

I also said that no matter how much I enjoy working with them, my career is much more important. I hope that clears things.
Sorry, I just meant you don't sound as enthusiastic about staying at your existing job as you did at first. Maybe the prospects of the new job are becoming more and more appealing?

Just double check what the situation would be with visas etc before you get your hopes up or make a definite decision. Nothing worse than being let down by something out with everyone's control once you've made that choice.
Jus

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.