Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am 21 years old, and i have been living with my boyfriend for more than two years. He was born here and i came when i was just 7 years old. We have recently talked about getting married so i could get a green card but we do not know much about the laws and the fees. I hope some one could give me some information anything will help.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hi i am 21 years old, and i have been living with my boyfriend for more than two years. He was born here and i came when i was just 7 years old. We have recently talked about getting married so i could get a green card but we do not know much about the laws and the fees. I hope some one could give me some information anything will help.
The important thing is to know how you originally came to the US -- with a visa or without. The procedure is different depending on this.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
oops. I CAME ILLEGAL
Then the road is hard.

Under current legislation, you would have to leave the US; you cannot adjust status within. And as soon as you leave the US, you will incur an automatic 10-year ban from returning.

So (briefly):
You leave
Your husband petitions for an immigrant visa for you.
Your visa is denied because of the 10-year ban.
Your spouse files for a waiver.
If successful, you will be given an immigrant visa which makes you a permenant resident (green card holder) on first entry.

Guesstimate 2 years from beginning to end out of Mexico. Guesstimate lawyer fees of $10k or more. Do NOT use a notario!

I don't usually send folks to other forums, but in your case there is a speciality one that deals solely with your unique issue. http://immigrate2us.net

1 - 4 of 4 Posts