Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to renew my carte de sejour. I have been in France for 1 year and i have a appointment at the prefecture June 29 and i need all my documents. Here comes one of the problems to try to get all my papers. I need a copy Intergrale de L acte de marriage, im from California my wife is French, where do i get this document.

Thank you.

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
Depends on where you got married.

Here is the Service Public page on the subject: Acte de mariage : demande de copie intégrale ou d'extrait - Service-public.fr but the upshot is that if you were married in France, you have to contact the mairie (town hall) where the marriage took place. If you were married outside France (i.e. in the US), then basically, you have to request a document from the office where you got married in the US. (Basically, it's a copy of your marriage certificate. They want a fresh copy because they always assume that other countries update these documents for subsequent events - which they don't.) There are websites where you can order up birth, death and marriage documents online - that might be your best bet. This site will do it, too, but it's all in French. https://pastel.diplomatie.gouv.fr/dali/index2.html
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bev, I was married in California with my french wife, so i need to order this marriage certificate from California is what your saying.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok my wife wrote somebody in France and says they will send the marriage certificate in french free to her. Now im confused, if its suppose to be the original from California or here that we need for the prefecture.

I was married in CA so im not sure, but i dont have time to make any errors on this.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
It appears your wife has had your US marriage registered in France - the certificate she gets should serve the purpose (much easier to get and is supplied free of charge).

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
In order for Mike to get his spouse visa, the marriage had to be registered in France. It may (or may not) be possible to use the French confirmation of the marriage for your CDS renewal. The Service Public site simply says that for those "in process of taking French nationality" you can use the document from Nanterre. But if she can get a certificate from Nanterre, it's certainly worth a try.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
In order for Mike to get his spouse visa, the marriage had to be registered in France. It may (or may not) be possible to use the French confirmation of the marriage for your CDS renewal. The Service Public site simply says that for those "in process of taking French nationality" you can use the document from Nanterre. But if she can get a certificate from Nanterre, it's certainly worth a try.
Cheers,
Bev
IMHO it should definitely be perfectly acceptable - to have it registered by Nantes it has to have been checked carefully. Frankly, if it's good enough for taking nationality (a more rigours process), it's good enough for a one year CDS. It's a bit like birth certificates, the version registered by Nantes is acceptable for everything (and indeed the original from the country of birth, even with the appropriate translation and CNF, is according to my Mairie, not acceptable for applying for a carte d'identite or a passport).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok i hope its good enough cause im running out of time here, so i will wait for this document and use this. Thanks for all your help.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Ok i hope its good enough cause im running out of time here, so i will wait for this document and use this. Thanks for all your help.
The worst that could happen would be that they ask you to come back with the US version. They won't boot you out of the country - you're married to a French national.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts