Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I read some of the forums about same sex marraige or civil partnership but our situation remain questionable.I would like to ask regarding same sex marraige or civil partnership in british embassy in manila. We are a same sex couple and a filipino citizen. My partner is currently in uk under the tier 2 visa and we had a 3 year relationship now. We lived together for 1 year and 2 year long distance relationship. For being in a long distance relationship its quite hard for both of us and I want to be with my partner in uk.Since we are a filipino citizen, We would like to know if a same sex couple like us can get married in uk embassy in manila?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hello, I read some of the forums about same sex marraige or civil partnership but our situation remain questionable.I would like to ask regarding same sex marraige or civil partnership in british embassy in manila. We are a same sex couple and a filipino citizen. My partner is currently in uk under the tier 2 visa and we had a 3 year relationship now. We lived together for 1 year and 2 year long distance relationship. For being in a long distance relationship its quite hard for both of us and I want to be with my partner in uk.Since we are a filipino citizen, We would like to know if a same sex couple like us can get married in uk embassy in manila?
Have a look at the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad/y/philippines/same_sex

I would think that at lease one of you will need to be a British national in order to get marry in the British Embassy in Manila. Or else everyone in the Philippines could take advantage of this to enter into same sex marriages - which I don't think is legal in the Philippines.

Have you think of getting married in the UK?

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Why don't you contact and get a definitive answer from the British Embassy in Manila?

Doubt whether folks here know the answer.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
At least one of the couple must be British in order to enter into same-sex marriage at the British embassy or consulate abroad, and only with the goodwill and approval of the host nation. So they don't perform it, say, in Saudi Arabia, or wherever the Sharia law is upheld.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please can anyone answer

Hello everyone! Can someone shed a light on my situation. My gf and I is in a three year relationship already, 1 year and 5 mos living together in the Philippines and the rest is in a long distance relationship, as we have to go separate ways because of work, she is currently the UK while me in the middle east. my gf is a tier 2 visa holder in the uk, what visa do you recommend i should apply so that we can be together in he UK permanently.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Without 2-year cohabitation, you can't apply as unmarried partner. So marriage first and then Tier 2 dependant visa, or you qualify for a visa in your own right such as student or sponsored work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Without 2-year cohabitation, you can't apply as unmarried partner. So marriage first and then Tier 2 dependant visa, or you qualify for a visa in your own right such as student or sponsored work.
unfortunately as much as we want to get married, same sex marriage is not legal in the philippines.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Get married in your girlfriend's country?

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Yes,Since same sex marriage is not legal in our country(philippines) and i'm not sure british embassy manila allowing a filipino same sex couple to get marry inside the embassy.
Sorry, did not understand that you are both Philippine citizens.

Unlikely you can marry in the British Embassy.

As Joppa said,unless YOU can get your own visa for the UK then you won't be able to live there.

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Get marriage visitor visa, get married in UK, return home and apply for Tier 2 dependant visa.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, did not understand that you are both Philippine citizens.

Unlikely you can marry in the British Embassy.

As Joppa said,unless YOU can get your own visa for the UK then you won't be able to live there.

we are planning to get married in new zealand, as there is no same sex marriage in the philippines. the question is,after getting married in nz can I qualify now for a dependent visa?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TIER 2 DEPENDENT visa

Hello everyone! Can someone shed a light in my situation. My gf and I is in a three year relationship already, 1 year and 5 mos living together in the Philippines and the rest is in a long distance relationship, as we have to go separate ways because of work, she is currently the UK while me in the middle east. We decided to visit and get married in new zealand as a civil union. Since same sex marriage is not legal in philippines for both filipino citizen. My question is after we get married in new zealand can we use our marriage certificate or civil union as a dependant of a tier 2 visa holder?

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Yes....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.