Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am moving out to Almeria (Roquetas de Mar) on the 29th October and was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on finding a job out there? I have had a look on the internet but I cant seem to find much for that area. Maybe bar work or at a shop - i will have a car so can travel. Would you recommend maybe doing a TEFL course? I can speak basic/intermediate Spanish which I am currently improving on and have a spanish boyfriend (who doesnt speak much english!) who is doing his best to help me! In the UK, I have had customer service, sales, administration and animal care experience. Im also a pretty good singer and can play the piano so entertaining could also be an option.

Thanks,

Emma

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hi all,

I am moving out to Almeria (Roquetas de Mar) on the 29th October and was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on finding a job out there? I have had a look on the internet but I cant seem to find much for that area. Maybe bar work or at a shop - i will have a car so can travel. Would you recommend maybe doing a TEFL course? I can speak basic/intermediate Spanish which I am currently improving on and have a spanish boyfriend (who doesnt speak much english!) who is doing his best to help me! In the UK, I have had customer service, sales, administration and animal care experience. Im also a pretty good singer and can play the piano so entertaining could also be an option.

Thanks,

Emma

Hi Emma

Good to see you on here :)

I wish I could give you some information that would help or even good news! But sadly finding work over here at the moment is very very difficult. Unemployment just under 20% and predicted to rise!!!! More difficult for expats than ever as we are obviously competing against native Spanish speakers at the same time.

There is quite a lot of information on another thread which I believe is titled "teaching in Spain" which you may find useful to read .... other than that its just a case of banging on doors and putting yourself out there,

If you have any chance of finding work at all .... it will come when you are over here ... trying to find work in Spain when you arent even in the Country will be much harder.

Keep up the Spanish learning! that will certainly be an added brownie point for you!

Best of luck & I wish I could be more positive!
Sue :plane:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Emma

Good to see you on here :)

I wish I could give you some information that would help or even good news! But sadly finding work over here at the moment is very very difficult. Unemployment just under 20% and predicted to rise!!!! More difficult for expats than ever as we are obviously competing against native Spanish speakers at the same time.

There is quite a lot of information on another thread which I believe is titled "teaching in Spain" which you may find useful to read .... other than that its just a case of banging on doors and putting yourself out there,

If you have any chance of finding work at all .... it will come when you are over here ... trying to find work in Spain when you arent even in the Country will be much harder.

Keep up the Spanish learning! that will certainly be an added brownie point for you!

Best of luck & I wish I could be more positive!
Thanks Sue,

You are right, im sure when im there I will find it a lot easier to job hunt! Im a tenacious person so im not gonna give up easily - even if I have to clear drains for a while :D

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Thanks Sue,

You are right, im sure when im there I will find it a lot easier to job hunt! Im a tenacious person so im not gonna give up easily - even if I have to clear drains for a while :D
lol not sure what opportunities there are in drain cleaning at the moment Emma!

Just a thought ... a guy posted something this week looking for a singer .. although he didnt mention whereabouts ??? we moved the post to the "Jobs in Spain" page ... his phone number is on there if you wanted to give it a shot!

Keep smiling and best of luck

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
just make sure that you bring enough money to see you thru for a few months and dont burn your bridges back to the UK. Its not really the best time of the year to look for work either (summer season just ending - a bad one at that apparently?). But if you come over and give it a shot, you never know, I hope it works out for you!!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just make sure that you bring enough money to see you thru for a few months and dont burn your bridges back to the UK. Its not really the best time of the year to look for work either (summer season just ending - a bad one at that apparently?). But if you come over and give it a shot, you never know, I hope it works out for you!!!!

Jo xxx
Thanks Jo :) I hope it works out too. I agree about the bad timing - I came out 3 weeks ago and could not believe how quiet it was - but its the right time for me. Ive got a couple of months pay saved up and will be exchanging my beloved sports car for an old banger to bring with me so that will free up some extra cash. At worst its going to be an expensive extended holiday, at best it will be my new home. Im looking forward to the adventure either way ;)

·
Registered
19,355 Posts
Thanks Jo :) I hope it works out too. I agree about the bad timing - I came out 3 weeks ago and could not believe how quiet it was - but its the right time for me. Ive got a couple of months pay saved up and will be exchanging my beloved sports car for an old banger to bring with me so that will free up some extra cash. At worst its going to be an expensive extended holiday, at best it will be my new home. Im looking forward to the adventure either way ;)
Hi there, as Sue said try reading the "teaching English In Spain " sticky. Definitely not the best time to come looking for jobs. I've been a teacher here for 20 years and i've never seen it so bad and it seems worse in the south of Spain. I think generally, even when there's not a crisis, there are more opportunities in Madrid and to the north than to the south.

Another thing, it might be easier (and probably safer) to buy a car here than bring one with you. There have been several threads recently about UK cars in Spain and from what they say it's a bit pricy and a bit complicated to bring a car over. Do a search for the threads.
Hope everything turns out OK:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.