Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have a contact for a chimney sweep dept 53 fuegerolle du plessis mayenne/manch border
thanks
jon

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Here, in Spain, we go to the ironmonger's and get something that you put on a very hot fire and the stuff it gives off removes all the soot and tar. It comes in a box 12" x3" x3" approx. Last year you could hear the lumps of clinkery stuff falling down the flue and then when all was cool, I removed the baffle plate and took out all the lumps of clinker and about 6 shovelfuls of a coarse sand like substance. We use it every year at the start of the season and our fire draws perfectly. Somebody we know of in a nearby town couldn't be bothered and her fire burnt its way through the stainless steel flue liner.

It is essential to use good dry fuel (logs, etc.) otherwise lots of tar is given off and that clogs up the flue quicker than anything.

·
Administrator
51,345 Posts
why not just look in the yellow pages on line ? annuaire jaune
The term you need for the pages jaune (yellow pages) is "ramonage cheminée" (for the Quoi box) then either 53 or the name of your town or the nearest large town in the Où box.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you're the sort who doesn't mind a bit of DIY, why not get a set of brushes off Fleabay and tackle it yourself?

I bought some inexpensive ones that screwed together to do ours. A couple of old blankets, some gaffa tape and a quick Al Jolson impression later - job sorted.

(edit) Picking up on what Baldilocks posted above: also try to avoid burning pine logs all the time as they give off a huge amount of tar compared to hardwoods.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you're the sort who doesn't mind a bit of DIY, why not get a set of brushes off Fleabay and tackle it yourself?

I bought some inexpensive ones that screwed together to do ours. A couple of old blankets, some gaffa tape and a quick Al Jolson impression later - job sorted.

(edit) Picking up on what Baldilocks posted above: also try to avoid burning pine logs all the time as they give off a huge amount of tar compared to hardwoods.

and who issues the certificate so that you don't end up with the bill if you have a chimney fire ?

·
Administrator
51,345 Posts
Not sure if the OP owns or is renting, but for the renters, there is sometimes a requirement that you must have an annual certificate from a ramoneur to prove that you have had the chimney professionally cleaned. Those "burn it away" logs don't count.

But if you're a home owner, you can simply buy the tools and do it yourself. (Do make sure you actually unwrap the brushes and get them dirty a few times just in case you wind up having to make a claim on your insurance!) It's a messy job, though.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,566 Posts

That will invalidate their/your insurance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Regarding insurance, I'd have thought it would be obvious not to do something that invalidates your policy....

However, I'm of the impression that for households (as opposed to rental properties) not all insurance companies insist on this clause. Although I'm happy to be corrected on this.

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
If your chimney goes up in smoke (with your house) you need the certificate as proof that it has been swept by a registered 'ramoneur' otherwise your insurance is invalid.

BTW....some insurance companies insist that it is cleaned twice a year.

Also, the 'pompiers' will charge you for putting out the fire. :)

For the sake of 50-60 Euros...get it cleaned by a pro.

The best way to clean a chimney (so I have been told) is to have a chimney fire. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts