Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't live in Paris. I live in St.Denis. We live in a large building. Our fees also include filtered drinkable water from the kitchen tap-but I believe potable water should be....colorless.

Additionally-The water is spurting out. It does not seem to have an odor.

Plumbing issues?!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't live in Paris. I live in St.Denis. We live in a large building. Our fees also include filtered drinkable water from the kitchen tap-but I believe potable water should be....colorless.

Plumbing issues?!
Yes, potable water, anywhere, should be colourless and odour free. Spurting water, would suggest there's too much air in the system. Usually after a leak has been repaired

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ty for the affirmation...I will contact the landlord about this being an issue...on the basis that the water is supposed to be potable. I hope they do not make a fuss about just running the water and waiting for it to clear out (if the issue is rust, for example.)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ty for the affirmation...I will contact the landlord about this being an issue...on the basis that the water is supposed to be potable. I hope they do not make a fuss about just running the water and waiting for it to clear out (if the issue is rust, for example.)
Just as an example, Brittany Ferries, told me that the water in my cabin, was ok to drink even though it was brown in colour. I told them, that I was a plumber, and that was rubbish, they then sent bottled water to our cabin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hah! Ironically the landlord seems to be a self proclaimed plumber as well. There was a plumbing issue three weeks ago, before I moved in, so I wonder if it’s related.

that makes me wonder about the drain too-I discovered it was clogged up with food from thisfood catcher thing. The sink absolutely smelled like the depths of the dungeon if I didn’t cover it with a dish. And we had loads of drain flies everywhere, all the time. I’ve tried to clean the kitchen sink out with rounds of boiling water, bleach, drain cleaner. Flies have decreased, but still there (I’m shocked anything survived, slightly disgusted). Sink still smells awful if I leave it uncovered, to the point where we can smell if from another room. I wanted to ask if this was normal too to be honest.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Plumbing issues?!
while I’m at it- is it normal for drain/fruit? flies to be looming all the time? I’m almost certain they come from the sink
Is it normal for the kitchen sink to smell like the depths of a dungeon?

·
Registered
291 Posts
while I’m at it- is it normal for drain/fruit? flies to be looming all the time? I’m almost certain they come from the sink
Is it normal for the kitchen sink to smell like the depths of a dungeon?
Dear me, they certainly dont want you to be happy, do they. The smell is almost certainly, that the waste trap is losing the water trap that stops the smells coming back from the sewage pipes. Its a "u" shaped trap that holds water permanently. Its a "break" from the sewer, and thats where the flies are coming from as well. This is a health issue, and they should not be allowed to get away with it. Sorry its not better news for you, but any plumber would tell you the same. Get a plumber to confirm it for you, so you can confront them with the information

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The smell is almost certainly, that the waste trap is losing the water trap that stops the smells coming back from the sewage pipes.
Hmm what did you mean by this?

thank you for that detailed information boilerman! I feel better knowing this is a health issue and not just me complaining hah. I really appreciate it. to clarify there was a food catcher trap thing right at the drain of the sink-once I took that off I could just see the primary pipe which all my stuff goes down.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I hope you are not allowing foodstuff to go down the sink because that would definitely block the drain. And it would also affect everyone in your apartment block who is on the same drainage line.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope you are not allowing foodstuff to go down the sink because that would definitely block the drain.
Of course, I still have a food catcher on top. Just not one that is shaped like a little cup. It drained water extremely slowly and I found it unsanitary.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Of course, I still have a food catcher on top. Just not one that is shaped like a little cup. It drained water extremely slowly and I found it unsanitary.
What kind of 'food catcher' do you have?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Take a look underneath your sink. You will find joints around the U bend. Just put a bucket underneath them and unscrew them, then claw out the foot waste and hope the wastewater outlet is not clogged further than that. This is the sort of minor intervention one would expect the tenant to undertake before a plumber is called in.

You have to be very careful not to let food scraps escape down the sink.

You can pick up a normal grilled cup arrangement at any hardware store and in some supermarkets, they are inexpensive. But you still need to take care that the scraps don't get past it. So minimise scraping or rinsing scraps into the sink. It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Hi, eekeek - I presume what you call a food catcher is a kind of stainless steel grill over the drain hole in the bottom of the sink?
Under your sink you should find a set-up as in the photo below
the overflow pipe and the U-bend (siphon in French)
Plumbing fixture Microphone Bicycle part Eyelash Plumbing
right on the bottom is a trap you can unscrew (by hand) and discover matches, hair, nasty black juice and other lovelies.
Once clear of muck, it'll stay full of water and should stop bad smells and flies circulating.
Check that there's a good joint before rescrewing.
If said joint is dead or missing, measure the diameter because they can vary depending on models.

In standard waste water set-ups, toilet smells should be trapped by their own specific U-bend
or be evacuated by ventilation piping.
Sewage water flies look like this:
Pollinator Insect Arthropod Butterfly Moths and butterflies
they're different from compost/vinegar flies:
Insect Arthropod Drosophila Pest Parasite
Check if bad smells are also coming from the bathroom sink and shower or from the washing machine drain.

If the problem's only coming from the kitchen sink and despite having cleaned out the U-bend beneath,
then the only way I can imagine to rid yourself of smells would be to install some kind of ventilation pipe from the sink's drain piping ...

Of course, if your landlord is a plumber, he'll surely be delighted to fix all that for you in a jiffy ;)

You can test your dodgy tap water in any medical lab (where they do blood samples etc)
ask them for a container, fill it up and return.
Results usually under 48 hours for around 40€ (last time I asked)

·
Registered
583 Posts
We used to turn the main water pipe off when we left the house for a long period. When we re-opened it, the water was often browish and came out in spurts. It usually cleared after a few minutes of leaving the water running. If it's more than that it sounds like a bigger problem.

Agree with BiF about cleaning under the sink, as long as the plumbing is fairly modern (eg standard plastic pipework that unscrews easily). I do that roughly every couple of years, give everything a good clean and put it back together. If you decide to give it a go, some tips:

(just seen the reply from Poloss which is much better than this comment!)

• take photographs of everything under the sink before you start - it helps if you get the bits mixed up after cleaning;
  • beware of over-tightening the joints when you put it all back - it's not that hard to damage the rubber sealing rings, or even the threads on the pipework. Tighten them as much as you can by hand.
  • after reassembling everything leave a bucket, or plastic box or something under the pipework in case of drips due to joints not completely sealing - can happen with old sealing rings, or if you don't tighten them enough, or what seems fine when running cold water starts dripping if you put very hot water through.

But TBH, the problem sounds a bit more far-reaching than that. Something is not working as it should. Have you been in the place long?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Poloss for the extremely detailed and explanatory response! Thank you Toulouse Rob for the tips. Unfortunately the pipe is blocked off by a shelving unit cabinetry that encapsulates all of the 'ugly', so I will hold off on trying accessing that for now. Although it seems focal.

So....I am attaching photos of the fixings that were at the drain of the sink here: . I wonder if the cup thing-which was horrendously full of sludge when I arrived- may be a shortcut solution to the smell + flies (maybe the stagnant water it hold serves the purpose of the u-bend? IDK much about plumbing.) What are people's thoughts? I will put it back in and see if that does anything....

·
Registered
583 Posts
OK, that's not a fitting I'm familiar with, but it looks as if you've given it a good clean. I think it's normal that some water is in the cup - it should get flushed out each time you empty water into the sink, and basically provides the 'trap' that stops bad smells coming back up. I guess the sludge was "black mould" - if you google it you'll find out more than you want to know. When things get back to 'normal' a weekly teaspoon of bicarbonate followed by a splash of white vinegar (the cheap stuff from the supermarkets in both cases - don't buy the expensive stuff from DIY stores) should keep it down. But that's reached the limit of my plumbing expertise, so I'll leave it to the experts now. :cool:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Never seen it in a sink before, but have seen similar things in showers, in fact I have something like it in my shower, but it is plastic. You just need to clean it out regularly, how often depends on how you use your sink.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thanks for the photos - it took me a woment to figure out that there were five photos covering the above side of your sink.
The "cup" won't help blocking smells or flies - the problem is further down ...
Are you sure that you can't access the "below" side?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I suspect if you can't access underneath the sink that would not be in accordance with French standardd and that there must be a simple way to open or remove the panel that appears to be blocking it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Take a look underneath your sink. You will find joints around the U bend. Just put a bucket underneath them and unscrew them, then claw out the foot waste and hope the wastewater outlet is not clogged further than that. This is the sort of minor intervention one would expect the tenant to undertake before a plumber is called in.

You have to be very careful not to let food scraps escape down the sink.

You can pick up a normal grilled cup arrangement at any hardware store and in some supermarkets, they are inexpensive. But you still need to take care that the scraps don't get past it. So minimise scraping or rinsing scraps into the sink. It's not rocket science.
I agree, it is not rocket science, but to the untrained eye, it can be a black hole(Excuse the "space" pun:)).
You're getting good advice on here eekeek, certainly enough to fix it, because once you get your head around how it works, it is easy. Keep at it, you can do it(y)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts