Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I'm a newbie just joined today I'm looking to move over to Benidorm I'm 21 i have a little 2 year old and my husband is working away. I'm thinking of moving over to Benidorm in roughly 6 to 10 months i would like to be over there by christmas I'm really looking forward to it very much and its everything I wanted but because I will be on my own most of the time and only been to majorca never Benidorm I'm really worried am I doing the right thing by my son. I would like to know off anyone who has moved roughly to the same area and how hard would it be to get my son into school and how hard is it to get a part time job over there unfortunatley ive come across a few websites but to no avail. I hope someone could help me because I really want to be able to do this to make a better life for us. I'm also looking for Spanish lessons so I want to understand some of the language even if it is basic.
Thank you

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't understand..your husband is working in Benidorm? If not, why do you choose Benidorm if you have never been there?
From other posters, I believe that there is no problem having your son attend the local public school. However, also from other posts and what I have observed on my frequent visits, the chances of a person who does not speak Spanish getting any type of job is about zero.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No he is working in Iraq but the reason I chose it was because I knew I wanted to go to Spain but I like the thought of Benidrom. I didnt want to go somewhere that was in the country, as I need to be in a popular place with expats so I could still make friends as I wont be quite as fluent in Spanish as I would like to be. I am hoping to buy a laundrette business or a little shop but wouldnt do that untill a few months after i have moved. I also would like to move there as its still a nice place for my family to visit and not too far as Australia or somewhere like that.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
No he is working in Iraq but the reason I chose it was because I knew I wanted to go to Spain but I like the thought of Benidrom. I didnt want to go somewhere that was in the country, as I need to be in a popular place with expats so I could still make friends as I wont be quite as fluent in Spanish as I would like to be. I am hoping to buy a laundrette business or a little shop but wouldnt do that untill a few months after i have moved. I also would like to move there as its still a nice place for my family to visit and not too far as Australia or somewhere like that.
I'm sorry, but I really think you need to rethink this. I'm all for people making a break and having a go at a new life .... but you've never been to Spanish mainland, you've never been to Benidorm, you don't speak Spanish and you dont have a job lined up .... and you have a child to support.

If you are of independent means (i.e. your husband earns enough to keep you here) then fine, have a go. But otherwise you need to at least come here to see the place, check out the schools, and see if you like the area. Schools arent like the UK here, you often have to pay for books and stationery.

Starting a business here will require a great deal of research and a firm grasp of the language .... and a fair amount of money. Do you, for instance, know what requirement if any there is for a laundrette in Benidorm?

Have a good think, and I strongly suggest visiting the area before you go further .... you may not like it!

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
Hi Guys,
I'm a newbie just joined today I'm looking to move over to Benidorm I'm 21 i have a little 2 year old and my husband is working away. I'm thinking of moving over to Benidorm in roughly 6 to 10 months i would like to be over there by christmas I'm really looking forward to it very much and its everything I wanted but because I will be on my own most of the time and only been to majorca never Benidorm I'm really worried am I doing the right thing by my son. I would like to know off anyone who has moved roughly to the same area and how hard would it be to get my son into school and how hard is it to get a part time job over there unfortunatley ive come across a few websites but to no avail. I hope someone could help me because I really want to be able to do this to make a better life for us. I'm also looking for Spanish lessons so I want to understand some of the language even if it is basic.
Thank you
Before making the decision of whether to live here or not, I'd advise you to come over to Benidorm and look at the houses, business, prices - look at the things and places you'd need if you were living here.
One piece of info, very negative I'm afraid, I can give you is that the unemployment rate is about 20% at the moment. That's much worse than the UK.
I think it's great that you're thinking about your son and what's best for him, but I do think you need to look into things before you decide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea luckily he does have enough money to support me thank you for the advice I am hopefully going to be going in May and see what its like then

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Yes, get yourself over here and have a look!!!!! Its not gonna be easy carving out a life here, but not impossible. If you move to an expat area you'll meet people you can talk to etc

Jo xxx

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
My daughter lives near Alicante and has taken me to Benidorm for the day... I must say it is not my cup of tea... but I know for others it is THE place to be.
Kalyleigh my daughter moved into the countryside no near neighbours but she threw herself into the Spanish way of life, enrolled at the local night school to learn Spanish, listened to tapes etc etc, she had no option other than to learn the language as she did not know anyone in the area and it is primarily a Spanish village.
The children are enrolled in state schools and love it.
My daughter goes for breakfast and coffee with the Spanish mothers, she has made English friends but as she says "If I lived in a big expat place I would not have mastered the language so quickly".
My daughter says "moving to Spain was the best thing she has ever done" and hopefully it will be the same for you.

Maiden

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi keighley

im moving to benidorm in feb too,i have a 3 yo and a 7 yo,it is a big decision and id definatley visit benidorm first,we moved to torrevieja area a few years ago and we went with blinkers on ,it didnt work and we lost alot of money,the area wasnt right for us and we ended up coming back 2 the uk,although i dont regret trying it i would recommend coming out first and rent a house dont buy until ur sure its for you.
at the end of the day if it doesnt work you can always go back or even try a different area.
we like you have chose benidorm because its lively and the expat community
keep in touch you never know our kids might end up at the same school !
elle

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
I am frankly amazed.

Here is how I precis it. "I am moving to Poland. I have never been to Warsaw before and do not speak Polish. I intend to open a car valeting service.... although I have no idea if such a service is viable. My wife will be away most of the time and I have two elderly parents who will need care."

As for Benidorm being "right" when Torrevieja was wrong is an interesting concept. I hope you will expand.

Good luck to you all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i said torrevieja wasnt right for US,which it wasnt,benidorm is right for us because our business is aimed at the british holiday maker,where as torrevieja is a spanish resort.

i hear what youre saying steve,and yes she needs to do her homework before moving and i would strongly suggest keighley that you learn spanish,i didnt learn the language when i was living in torrevieja and i felt ashamed,even if you learn the basics the spanish will appreciate you at least trying,you will need to speak spanish,there were expats that had been there years and couldnt speak a word,i dont know how they managed,with you having children and them going to school there especially with him/her been so young their first language will be spanish (if you send them to state school)
if your definatley going to spain start learning spanish asap and start introducing your child to spanish words.
im going to collage doing spanish i know i wont be fluent in a year but i will continue lessons when im in spain,ive also started teaching my children its amazing how quick they pick it up my 3 year old knows all her colours,food can count to 20 say greetings and shapes and thats in a month.
as for setting up a business really look into it because its not easy in spain,weve got a financial adviser over there whos helping us do everything right (hes spanish) its alot of paper work and things take forever in spain.

keighley your very young and my moto is "you only live once"

go and have a look see if you like it xxxxxx

elle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My daughter lives near Alicante and has taken me to Benidorm for the day... I must say it is not my cup of tea... but I know for others it is THE place to be.
Kalyleigh my daughter moved into the countryside no near neighbours but she threw herself into the Spanish way of life, enrolled at the local night school to learn Spanish, listened to tapes etc etc, she had no option other than to learn the language as she did not know anyone in the area and it is primarily a Spanish village.
The children are enrolled in state schools and love it.
My daughter goes for breakfast and coffee with the Spanish mothers, she has made English friends but as she says "If I lived in a big expat place I would not have mastered the language so quickly".
My daughter says "moving to Spain was the best thing she has ever done" and hopefully it will be the same for you.

I love the thought of living in the countryside and being able to mingle in with other mums its just the thought of learning the language and I may only be young but I have 1 of the worst memories ever and it does take a while for stuff to sink in but eventually when I know everything i need to know thats my plan to have a lovely little home in the country with lots of land.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes the first thing I was going to do was rent just incase, could i just ask you a few questions as I would like to know more of Benidorm the little 3 year old you have, will he/she be going to a nursery and do they have both english and spanish nursery the thing thats scares me the most is the fact that if they only have spanish then as I wont be as fluent as I like then Im scared that i wont be able to help with homework and stuff. And if I could ask how is the 7 year old feeling with school have she/he picked the language up and are there any english schools? I am going to be going over for 2 weeks maybe 3 but I feel like I maybe wont be able to do all this research in such a short amount of time. I did chose Benidorm because its such a big expat area. The thing thats holding me back the most is the schools and scared that Im going to be on my own for such along time and unable to meet anyone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got family who live in Benidorm, but they're a little older and retired there, they love the lifestyle however I think from time to time they do think about coming home, think they've been there about 10yrs or so now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think its will always be in the back of mind but i got to make it right for myself and work hard at it because it is something i want to do

·
Registered
123 Posts
The biggest problems, I find living in Spain is

1) The language - I am pretty good now but it will take you at least 4 years to learn sufficently.

2) Prices - it's not cheap here at all.

The school for a 2 / 3 year old will be fine. The state system starts at 3 years although it is not compulsory.

I have a 2 year old and she goes to a private Spanish nursery - it costs 230 euros per month incl lunch from 9.30 to 2.30pm - all spanish and understands alot of Spanish now. So she will be bi-ligual very quickly and effortlessly. In September she will be able to join her siblings at the state school and go to the 3anos class. The classes are all small and they have two playtimes each day.

I could recommend that you put your child into the spanish system and not worry about English. You can help her/him with English. There will be no homework at this age.

The schools here start at 9.30am till 2.30pm - lunch is extra at around 2.80 euros per day. You have to pay for book and materials approx 120 euros per child. Some town hall will re-imburse you if you are on their residents list for a certain length of time.

It is a difficult thing to do - to move to another country without the langugage. You'll have to toughen up and be confidient. Why not think of doing it for a few months before you commit? Just rent for a while and treat it like a holiday. You'll be able to enjoy it better and get to know the areas and not be worried about making a business etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i was going to buy a business but i wasnt planning on doing that untill at least 8 months after i moved there as it would give me time to settle in and make sure i really like the place i will be learning spanish but only the basics unfortunatley for me the closest tutor is just over 25 miles away and only does 1 hour lessons and the college by where i live only does welsh lessons so i would have to travel once a week and because it would only be me learning another worry is if it doesnt sink in and I forget everything. I will be moving i know i want to do this its just hard as I know i need and want to get EVERYTHING sorted before I take the big step

·
Registered
123 Posts
i was going to buy a business but i wasnt planning on doing that untill at least 8 months after i moved there as it would give me time to settle in and make sure i really like the place i will be learning spanish but only the basics unfortunatley for me the closest tutor is just over 25 miles away and only does 1 hour lessons and the college by where i live only does welsh lessons so i would have to travel once a week and because it would only be me learning another worry is if it doesnt sink in and I forget everything. I will be moving i know i want to do this its just hard as I know i need and want to get EVERYTHING sorted before I take the big step
You can do on-line spanish or cassettes from the library... start with these.

First you will learn grammar and vocabulary and verbs...they are the basics. Learn these. When you come to Spain, find yourself an intercambio where a spanish person will help you with spanish and you can help them with English. It's the best and most fun way, And its cheaper than a tutor or lessons.

Don't worry..once you live here and use it everyday, it will become second nature.

It's the only way..but it will take you years to master not 8 months, I'm afraid. Children will become playground fluent in that time only..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Could i just ask you how long you have been living there?and was your child born there? I am asking these simply because I would like to ask how did you go about signing he/she up for school?Do you work over there?and how hard is it to get a job? someone did say that the unemployment rate is high which I dont mind if I can get work or not i just thought it would be easier to get some work to meet other people. I would also like to know how you go about running a car and where the best place to go about renting as ive been looking around but the only places ive been able to find is like an apartment but somewhere that is in a hotel i dont mind this, but it does feel like its somewhere in a hotel and not where i could make a home. And as its like that i may feel like its somewhere like a holiday and not somewhere i could really take life serious out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and would that teach you on the tapes?fthe grammer and verbs?thank you for that i wold not have known about intercambio but its deffinatley worth doing is that only in spain or do they do that over in the uk? i dint expect to learn the language in 8 months just to be able to get a business and in that time and also learn the basics

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.