Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Hi everyone

I have found a good international telephone service.

Has anyone used the service and what do you think

Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,

I have removed your link as I am a bit confused you say you have found a good international telphone service and now are asking if anyone has used it.
To advertise a service in here you must be a premium member

Maiden

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
I use a website that lists currently the cheapest rates to call from UK. No one provider is cheapest for all destinations, for landline or mobile, daytime, evening or weekends, and providers come and go all the time. Google something like 'cheapest international calls from UK' to find out. Remember not all providers can be dialled from all types of phone lines a the rates indicated, like BT, Tiscali, Sky Talk, TalkTalk, cable, mobiles etc.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I use a website that lists currently the cheapest rates to call from UK. No one provider is cheapest for all destinations, for landline or mobile, daytime, evening or weekends, and providers come and go all the time. Google something like 'cheapest international calls from UK' to find out. Remember not all providers can be dialled from all types of phone lines a the rates indicated, like BT, Tiscali, Sky Talk, TalkTalk, cable, mobiles etc.

I use Prepaid International Calling Service Plan - Cell Phones & Landlines a website that you use on your pc...idk if i can copy the website on here..sorry if someone has to remove it.

and literally everyday we just use the pc to pc on msn, yahoo or skype. its free and easy. if i have to call him i use the said website. i put like $10 every fortnight on there.
if you cant see the link, pm me and ill give it to you

·
Registered
3 Posts
telediscount

I've been pretty happy with a service called Telediscount (you can find it on google). You call an 0844 number, and then dial in the international number you want to reach. The call ends up being billed directly to your phone line, at a low rate (1p/minute to the U.S.). This is nice, because you don't need a prepaid calling card, and you can use it from the office or a friend's house without feeling too guilty (not to mention that it seems to be the cheapest way to make these calls, other than computer-to-computer).

(I don't work for telediscount -- I just find the service useful.)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Steve,

I have removed your link as I am a bit confused you say you have found a good international telphone service and now are asking if anyone has used it.
To advertise a service in here you must be a premium member

Maiden
This is a strange thread, even considering that a mention of a particular firm has been deleted.

The cheapest, reliable full-service providers are all VoIP, Vonage being the most POTS-like. (Plain Old Telephone Service). Combining Skype (essentially free, gives you access to US and UK and some other Freefone/1-800 services without charge) with Vonage (those two firms offer inward phone numbers based in many countries) gives you the world at low cost. There are even cheaper VoIP services online, some completely free -- but they take a bit of skill and are tedious to set up. Skype and Vonage both worth with iPhones.

Then there is Google Voice, which will work with a jailbroken iPhone, or via the Web. Free SMS texts anywhere; a rather sophisticated (but useless for me) voicemail system; and various redialing, messaging and conferencing features. But it will only work with a basic US POTS or cell number so while it has value to a UK-based person, you'd also need a US telephone number from Vonage or another similar service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.