Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So everyone just pretended that DIBP published the "correct" occupation ceiling which they hope they can get an invite.

I did the same thing last year, see that happened.

·
Registered
197 Posts
What are you trying to convey?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am not sure what you mean. Everyone knows that occupation ceilings are not in line with the actual supply of skills or the number of invitations. The system is flooded with applications from a handful of occupations. These occupations always hit the ceiling and a large portion of applicants don't even stand a chance. Meanwhile, the majority of occupations don't come anywhere near the ceiling, some reaching no more than a few % of the set quota by the end of financial year.

Points-based migration system is a good thing since it is always preferable to have educated migrants rather than uneducated ones. However, it seems to me that DIBP is not doing the best job in diversifying the skills of their new residents. For instance, Australia has been infested with Accountants (no offense if you are one of them) for yeeeaaars and I am not sure why they are trying to import even more of them. I guess it is difficult to get rid of old habits, especially if they have proven to be such a reliable cash cow. 8)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last June they posted 4777, and within weeks, it dropped to 2500 with a special explanation. Otherwise, I would long be a PR with 60 points. This FY, they offered nearly 5000, and no explnation on 189 NZ stream and other visas which may use the allocation.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If they can't fill out other occupations doesn't mean that they shouldn't invite people in occupations that are in demand in the future.

The figures are derived from statistics and after discussion with industry bodies and various departments. Some other western countires, for example, Canada don't have a ceiling for individual occupations, and who is to say what amount of people nominated in a certain occupation actually manage to find work and actually do work in that occupation.

I am not sure what you mean. Everyone knows that occupation ceilings are not in line with the actual supply of skills or the number of invitations. The system is flooded with applications from a handful of occupations. These occupations always hit the ceiling and a large portion of applicants don't even stand a chance. Meanwhile, the majority of occupations don't come anywhere near the ceiling, some reaching no more than a few % of the set quota by the end of financial year.

Points-based migration system is a good thing since it is always preferable to have educated migrants rather than uneducated ones. However, it seems to me that DIBP is not doing the best job in diversifying the skills of their new residents. For instance, Australia has been infested with Accountants (no offense if you are one of them) for yeeeaaars and I am not sure why they are trying to import even more of them. I guess it is difficult to get rid of old habits, especially if they have proven to be such a reliable cash cow. 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts