Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate festivos. Yes, I realise it is a bit drastic. Hereabouts, they HAVE to keep letting off those explosive rockets. Scruffy, one of our rescue dogs was shot when he was only a puppy resulting in his left rear leg being broken. When we found him he was getting around as best he could on three legs, he was filthy, unkempt and his fur was matted into dreadlocks.

When it comes around to festivos, there are these loud explosions going on from about 10 the night before and often until 9 or 10 the morning after (since this one is on a Saturday, it will probably go on until Monday morning). With every bang, Scruffy goes berserk and Rubio, our other rescue is then upset and has stayed under the settee for most of the day.

Do they have this mania for loud bangs where you live?

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
I hate festivos. Yes, I realise it is a bit drastic. Hereabouts, they HAVE to keep letting off those explosive rockets. Scruffy, one of our rescue dogs was shot when he was only a puppy resulting in his left rear leg being broken. When we found him he was getting around as best he could on three legs, he was filthy, unkempt and his fur was matted into dreadlocks.

When it comes around to festivos, there are these loud explosions going on from about 10 the night before and often until 9 or 10 the morning after (since this one is on a Saturday, it will probably go on until Monday morning). With every bang, Scruffy goes berserk and Rubio, our other rescue is then upset and has stayed under the settee for most of the day.

I hate it too, for the same reasons. Kala can hear a banger from 5 miles away, literally, and she's reduced to a quavering mass. So when it's right near you can imagine. When she ran away that time, was lost for days and ended up in an accident and lost her eye it was because a banger went off near her, so I'm well fed up of them!!
It doesn't happen too much here, but Bilbao at Christmas time is a real ordeal:(

G

·
Yes, and for weddings too. I have always hated these non-fireworks because every companion animal I've ever had has gotten more frightened by that noise than anything else they encountered.

This fellow hung with me for all of his 14 years and nothing fazed him - except that ****ing noise pollution - it is his name I use on this forum:

American Champion Mystic's Mickey

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
My dog is terrified too, he shakes like a jelly. These bangers they use here are super noisy.
We used the live in Hk, on Lantau, the same island as Hk Disney, they let fireworks off every night for about twenty minutes, never as noisy as these things here in Spain, and we could sit outside in a restaurant to watch those, with hardly any reaction from the dog.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, and for weddings too. I have always hated these non-fireworks because every companion animal I've ever had has gotten more frightened by that noise than anything else they encountered.

This fellow hung with me for all of his 14 years and nothing fazed him - except that ****ing noise pollution - it is his name I use on this forum:

American Champion Mystic's Mickey
Thanks, that was a touching tale.

·
Registered
22,362 Posts
Azor,our big,strong boy fears only fireworks and gunshots. Xena, our adopted dog, doesn't seem to notice.

Does anyone know which Muslim holiday falls on Tuesday?

·
Registered
15,657 Posts
Our rescue cat is unfazed by loud noises but turns into a ball of barbed wire at the sound of a Frontline pipette being slipped from its wrapper.

No official fireworks here (except on New Year's Eve and the last day of the Feria) but the hunting season has started and the hills are alive with the sound of shotguns.

·
Registered
22,362 Posts
Our rescue cat is unfazed by loud noises but turns into a ball of barbed wire at the sound of a Frontline pipette being slipped from its wrapper.

No official fireworks here (except on New Year's Eve and the last day of the Feria) but the hunting season has started and the hills are alive with the sound of shotguns.
Same here. We noticed a wild boar happily co-existing in a field with five or six horses whilst walking the dogs. We wondered if it had been deliberately installed in the fenced-off field to protect the horses from rustlers.

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
Well lets look on the bright side at least we know when a holiday is scheduled.

Now barking dogs must rank as the number 1 noise pollution in Spain. ;)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Our neighbour, bless (is that the right word?) him, fires his double barrelled shotgun on festival days usually until 3 am. It terrifies the cats and the boy. We checked through a friend who knows the chief of police and he doesn't have a licence - no surprise. I can't do anything though - he might point it at me...

I also hate my ex-wife and she is no festive...

·
Registered
15,657 Posts
Well lets look on the bright side at least we know when a holiday is scheduled.

Now barking dogs must rank as the number 1 noise pollution in Spain. ;)
I can actually filter out the sound of barking dogs. It might be because when I was little I used to stay with my grandparents who lived next to a dogs' home. They would go on for hours once one started them off - a bit like round here!

Howling is a different matter. I believe it's too much like the sound of a human baby crying, which makes it impossible to ignore because we are genetically programmed to react.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts