Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I defended my thesis and good God I thought I was going to die but thank God I passed so I have been approved for a MA Spanish. You must go before the tribunal to be tested. Are you worthy? My uni only takes PhD students so I am now good for another few years before the same crisis occurs all over again.

My committee asked me if my dissertation will be about phonetics, I think NOT thank you, but who knows, maybe I will grow into it!

¡Pokjü k’ü i ējē!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Circle,
I'd like to maintain my semi-anonymity, but my university is a top-100 public school (worldwide) that is located in the USA.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Gratz!

At my MS defense the outside professor admitted he hadn't even read the thesis, but pointed out a typo on the title page. I don't know how I did that, but it was serendipitous. If I had it to do over again I'd make sure to print a special title page for the outside professor's copy that had a typo only he could find just so he could contribute something.

In between my MS and Phd thesis defense, I also had to do a stand-up presentation to my committee to get my Phd proposal approved. That turned out to be harder than either of the actual defenses. The appointed out-of-department professor was trying to give me a hard time. He didn't think I was PhD material, apparently, but he didn't know enough on the subject to really mount an effective attack. My advisor really had to argue hard after I left the room to get me past that hurdle.

The actual PhD defense was anticlimactic by comparison. I don't even remember whether the outside professor was present. In theory, besides asking questions about the thesis, they could ask me anything at all from the department's subject matter, so I had brushed up on several things ahead of time, but they only asked one token question that wasn't related to the thesis. Mostly they didn't understand the thesis, so it was pretty easy, more explaining than defending.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
¡Felicitaciones! Ahora a celebrar. 🎉🎉🎉

But your last line has even Google translator stuck. What does "Pokjü k’ü i ējē" mean and what language is it in?

·
Registered
379 Posts
¡Felicitaciones! Ahora a celebrar. 🎉🎉🎉

But your last line has even Google translator stuck. What does "Pokjü k’ü i ējē" mean and what language is it in?
My first thought, given Xolo's area of study, was that it was written as a phonetic transcription, but looking again, it doesn't rely on IPA symbols, so . . . Beats me! :confused:

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
It just loks to me like an indigenous language written out. In the Maya languages the apostrophe is used to denote glottals , the umlaut is used in Zoque , I think I have seen it in Zapotec as well..it is kind of phonetic as indigenous languages are written phonetically but not using the phonetic symbols.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
The Mazahua live in Mexico state mostly with some in Michoacan. Actually we have some working in Ajijic.. They are well known for some of the finest cross stich embroidery I have seen..

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Seems like half this thread is breaking forum rules, come on ISLA, reprimand them ...........Rule 1.8 =

1.8 This Website is in the English language and any Contribution posted by you on the Website should be in the English language.

LOL

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
Seems like half this thread is breaking forum rules, come on ISLA, reprimand them ...........Rule 1.8 =

1.8 This Website is in the English language and any Contribution posted by you on the Website should be in the English language.

LOL
I'm not in the mood to reprimand anyone today. ;) By the way, using LOL is also against the rules!

6. All posts on this site must be in English. Non English language posts including abbreviations like text speak are not permitted on the forum.

Where did you find Rule 1.8 ?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I'm not in the mood to reprimand anyone today. ;) By the way, using LOL is also against the rules!

6. All posts on this site must be in English. Non English language posts including abbreviations like text speak are not permitted on the forum.

Where did you find Rule 1.8 ?

Between 1.7 and 1.9, Laugh out Loud, what does 6. have to do with this post? 6. what?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Well for your information I was using these forum rules "VerticalScope Inc.
1. TERMS OF WEBSITE USE"

not one that is a closed subject...If you scroll down near the bottom of this page you will see this box: