Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, sorry for that a, audacious subject line.
i got my online ielts result...
i scored a 8, 8.5, 8, 8.5 in L,R,W,S sections

I was helped by people on this forum especially for my writing. Hence, as a pay back..i volunteer to help people who want their essays checked or reviewed by me.
I am not a master but People can send me their essays and letters via private messages and i might lend out some good tips looking at your essay and second guess your band(Ryan takes money for this..;)..but he is very good too...:)).

Generally, i would suggest people,
1- TO attempt the 2nd task prior to the 1st task. 2nd task is worth more marks and wants more words. Usually people who have left writing since many years, end up spending more time on the 1st one inorder to impress and are then hardpressed aginst time for the second task.
2- Follow Ryans Videos on youtube, and see examples from simons on the internet
i follwed them..and they helped.
3- Practise atleast 1 essay before you go for the exam. I used notepad for the same.
4- make a clear distinction between an argument essay or discussion essay.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey,
I thnk shld go by ur first suggestion.
I gave for ielts for three times,today again missed by 0.5
L = 7.5
R = 7.5
W = 6.5
S =7
Overall = 7.0

First attempt :
L = 7.5
R = 7
W = 6.5
S =7
Overall = 7.0

Sec attempt:
L = 8
R = 8
W = 6.5
S = 6.5
Overall = 7.5

Very much in need of as many tips as posisble.

·
Registered
380 Posts

I was helped by people on this forum especially for my writing. Hence, as a pay back..i volunteer to help people who want their essays checked or reviewed by me.
I am not a master but People can send me their essays and letters via private messages and i might lend out some good tips looking at your essay and second guess your band(Ryan takes money for this..;)..but he is very good too...:)).

1- TO attempt the 2nd task prior to the 1st task. 2nd task is worth more marks and wants more words. Usually people who have left writing since many years, end up spending more time on the 1st one inorder to impress and are then hardpressed aginst time for the second task.
3- Practise atleast 1 essay before you go for the exam. I used notepad for the same.

Congrats on your result. Very good initiative from you indeed

·
Registered
244 Posts

I appreciate your willingness to help the group. Congrats for your result.

Reactions: sandeepraj

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey,
L = 7.5
R = 7.5
W = 6.5
S =7
Overall = 7.0

First attempt :
L = 7.5
R = 7
W = 6.5
S =7
Overall = 7.0

Sec attempt:
L = 8
R = 8
W = 6.5
S = 6.5
Overall = 7.5

why dont you give a try for re-valuation, we cant guaranteee, but there is a good chance for a slight .5+ mark ?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, some of the people i spoke to had remarking done and got an increase of 1.5 marks:)..
By the way, what help do you need. i am willing to help..but first you would need to tell me the problems a little more in detail.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks! I can take your help. Can you PM me your contact information? I am unable to send you a message. I am writing IELTS on 20th and 21st of April

·
Registered
26 Posts

Congrats Sandeep for your results. (y) I am giving IELTS (Academic) on the 21st, and as you know, I need to get 8 bands in each module. Do you have any material, which you could email me? Did you give your IELTS in Australia? Any tips for speaking exam?

Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Unfair - IELTS

Hey,
L = 7.5
R = 7.5
W = 6.5
S =7
Overall = 7.0

First attempt :
L = 7.5
R = 7
W = 6.5
S =7
Overall = 7.0

Sec attempt:
L = 8
R = 8
W = 6.5
S = 6.5
Overall = 7.5

Unfortunately exactly the same happened to me - even i tried remark, but didnt help. Once only i got 8.5, 5.5, 7.5, 7 (u see how poor was my luck - that time i missed reading). Finally i gave up on IELTS.

I think its unfair marking 6.5 in subjective section like Speaking or Writing
DIAC could give some waiver like Overall 7 with (max 1 section 6.5) get 10 point.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Congrats sandeepraj. Can you elaborate further on how to differentiate between an argument and a discussion essay? For argument, do you need to write both the for and against points while discussion you may only discuss one standpoint? I'll be taking my IELTS on the 21st and don't feel confident on the essay part.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I can take your help. Can you PM me your contact information? I am unable to send you a message. I am writing IELTS on 20th and 21st of April
hi zivziva,if you are unable to PM me, then you can continue asking question in this thread, i will help you to the best of my abilities.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats sandeepraj. Can you elaborate further on how to differentiate between an argument and a discussion essay? For argument, do you need to write both the for and against points while discussion you may only discuss one standpoint? I'll be taking my IELTS on the 21st and don't feel confident on the essay part.
Hello,
If the question clearly asks you to "How far you agree/disagree" or "GIve your opinion" or "What do you think" Then i consider these essays as argument essay since they clearly ask us our opinion. Now, for these kinds, as Ryan Higgins suggests, it is easier to write a biased essay. For e.g. "computers can overthrow human teaches - What Do you think". Although i partly agree that computers have the capability to overthrow humans..but there is a lot of negativity in my mind related to comps too. But it wont be a wise decision to let that confusion out on paper, hence its wiser to write a BIASED essay and in this case, i would say "Yes comps would replace humans..and only talk of points supporting it".

If the question is "Discuss both opinions"then discuss both points and give your conclusion right at the end.

Follow Ryan's videos on youtube and write one essay and send it to me, i will try to review it for you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks mate, need all the help on this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello,
If the question clearly asks you to "How far you agree/disagree" or "GIve your opinion" or "What do you think" Then i consider these essays as argument essay since they clearly ask us our opinion. Now, for these kinds, as Ryan Higgins suggests, it is easier to write a biased essay. For e.g. "computers can overthrow human teaches - What Do you think". Although i partly agree that computers have the capability to overthrow humans..but there is a lot of negativity in my mind related to comps too. But it wont be a wise decision to let that confusion out on paper, hence its wiser to write a BIASED essay and in this case, i would say "Yes comps would replace humans..and only talk of points supporting it".

If the question is "Discuss both opinions"then discuss both points and give your conclusion right at the end.

Follow Ryan's videos on youtube and write one essay and send it to me, i will try to review it for you.

Thanks very much for this. I have tried writing a Task 2 essay but not sure how to send it to you. Maybe because I need at least 5 posts first. I will try again soon.

Meanwhile, do you state your stand in the introduction paragraph? Or do you leave it till the end?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks very much for this. I have tried writing a Task 2 essay but not sure how to send it to you. Maybe because I need at least 5 posts first. I will try again soon.

Meanwhile, do you state your stand in the introduction paragraph? Or do you leave it till the end?
Send it to me via Personal Message or email it to me on [email protected]
If Argument essay, stand should be mentioned clearly in the 1st para. In a discussion you should leave it till the end.,

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just received my IELTS results today. L-8.5, R-8.5, W-8, S-8. Thanks sandeepraj and to other forum members for their useful tips. Now awaiting ACS results.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi ILETS good scorers !!

I will be giving my ILETS General module on May end ,however I already gave ILETS ACADEMIC module last July but my score in Writing and speaking was 6 each and 7.5 in both Reading and listening

Now ,though I m taking formal coaching to increase my score but can you guys please suggest or guide me how to improve my speaking and writing section and also kindly let me know ,Is general module is very easy as compared to academic or it's just my optimistic approach this time :) :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts