Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says I am from London and currently looking for a job in Dubai and was hoping if someone can advise or help. I am interested in an entry level IT job ( IT support/help desk), with a place to stay of course. I have education background up to college and over one years experience in IT support. I cannot seem to find a good website to apply. Does anyone have any links etc

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Forget it.

You have very little experience, no degree in a mass market sector and you'll find all the jobs are taken by people from India whio will do the jon for about 10-20% of what you would want.

Better stay in the UK, get a decades worth of experience, preferably a degree and once you are ina senior role, apply then.

IT chaps are ten a penny here (maybe 100 a penny) and none are from western countries, at entry level.

Sorry!

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
There are plenty of Western people that work here for the same amount of salaries as Indians. I don't know why people just assume that all entry level jobs are taken by sub-continental folks for 10 - 20% of a Western person's expectation. It's not entirely true. I work with people in different areas of hospitality who have recently graduated and are not earning based on their passport or skin colour.

To the OP, take a look at the sticky titled "Read before Posting...." It contains a list of recruitment agencies. I also recommend Linkedin as your chances of finding a job are better through Linkedin than recruitment agencies.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
The company I work for recently appointed to an IT helpdesk role internally, but for a more experienced individual. I think salary came in at about 12,000 a month plus healthcare.

That's 144,000 a year.

A one bed in JLT will cost you, what, 85,000 of that? Leaving 4,916 a month to live on.

Not impossible, but I doubt it would provide the sort of lifestyle that young expat individuals from the UK might think they're signing up to.

The OP mentions "a place to stay". Are there any organisations providing accomodation for these sorts of roles?

I think it's worth letting people know that Dubai isn't an easy option for inexperienced, low skilled (and I don't meant that to be harsh - it's a function of experience) sectors that have significant supply from the sub-continent.

If someone really really wants to come here then it might be workable. But if they're just looking for an overseas experience somewhere warm, at that career point you might be better off in Sydney.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your answers. 144,000 aed is the type of salary that I would want and it seems living cost is a little too much. The next place I would want to try would be Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,932 Posts
Hi,
There is a world of difference between working in Dubai and Saudi Arabia.
Employers do not consider Dubai to be a "hardship" posting - but many find it difficult to persuade people to work in Riyadh - therefore salaries tend to be higher.
There is much less to spend your money on there - so easier to save!!
Cheers
Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts