Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IF we get my husbands UK Spouse visa approved..would it be a problem if he came over to the UK first then me and the girls will follow later (he is the only one with a non UK passport) myself and my 2 girls both have British passports.

Would we need to explain on the application form why my husband will go first and me and the girls will follow later?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Can the applicant and sponsor travel together, and then the sponsor return to the US to finalise details?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, it's a problem. You can come together or you can arrive first and he can join you. He can't arrive before you.
We were thinking of doing exactly that as I (the person being sponsored) am the main bread winner, and I was going to sort a job out first and be employed before bringing the rest of the family over. (staying in the nominated accommodation)

If you are together overseas, and apply and get the spouse visa, why can't the spouse travel a month or two before the sponsor (and the kids)? The sponsor now has a visa to enter the country with the appropriate stamp in the passport - how will it be known at immigration that the sponsor isn't in the uk already?

or is it a condition of entry / the visa that the sponsor is there waiting for you at the gate (or travelling on the same plane as you)?

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
The condition of your visa is that you are either joining your UK sponsor in UK, or are arriving together. Your condition of being in UK depends on your UK partner being settled in UK, either already or at the time of arriving together (he is deemed to be settled as soon as he sets foot in UK). While they cannot check whether your UK husband is in UK or not, if you don't travel together, they will almost always ask where he is, and if you tell a lie, you can get your visa cancelled for dishonesty. It isn't important whether he is waiting for you at the arrivals or not, but it obviously makes sense to be at least contactable by phone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.