Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking to move back to France in a year or so from Ireland. We've been living in Europe now for two years and the one thing that is driving us batty is hunters and farmers. Here's our dilemma-we are not city people, so we want to find a property that is private, yet not far from a small town or city. But so far, our experience in France, Spain, and now Ireland is that if you buy a rural property, you are doomed to have hunters at your doorstep blasting away at anything that moves and endangering our animals. Our other desire is to not be next door to farmers. Yes they feed us all, but living next to them means being exposed to thousands of gallons of slurry being dumped right next to us and our well and following them down the lanes at 10 mph. We've been told "if you don't like hunters and farmers don't move here" but I can't help thinking that there are country settings in France where we could live without these impinging on our lives. We are looking presently in the Dordogne and adjoining Midi Pyrenees. If anyone can suggest an area we can explore where we can live without these two aspects of rural life, we would be very grateful.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
I think most french people (who live in civilisation) agree with you. You forgot to mention flies. If you live near farms you get flies. I hate flies. If you live in the Dordogne you also have the problem of hundreds of RHD cars to deal with.

Further to your question, it will be a question of budget. You can live 'just' outside many cities in France and not be exposed to hunters or farmers. But houses will be expensive.

The more rural you go, the cheaper the houses and chances of having nutters with guns trying shoot each other.

Have a look are grape growing regions/areas. !!!!!!!! The Loire Valley, Bourgone ect.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
We live in the mountains in the Pyrénées Orientales. The limited farming that remains today is fruit growing, vines, and small live stock farms. There is hunting, but this is mainly in the non cultivated mountain areas. There seems to be room for everyone whatever that are doing.

There are plenty of old houses for sale around here - the problem is that some of them are 4 km down a rough track. Ok for a holiday, but not for permanent living.

DejW

·
Registered
526 Posts
I am in Burgundy and here the wildboar hunter is revered and treated like a king! We arrange our day and dogs and horses around the hunt ( although the horses no longer stress over the horn now that they have learnt that there are no horses involved)!
Good luck!
Gypsycob x

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
There is hunting in the Loire valley, actually there is hunting everywhere in the country in France. We were just talking about that with my husband yesterday, remembering how we went for a walk in Montlouis (wine country) in the vineyards and there was shooting everywhere during the hunting season. A cousin of mine was in a tree in Provence and was shot, (he is full of buckshot to this day) as he was in a tree doing God knows what. The excuse from the hunter , he thought it was a squirrel???That was in the Var.
The fishermen I knew in the Landes would feed pheasants all year round in the woods and the day of the opening, they were all in position to shoot when an old lady came picking mushrooms and they actually discussed wether or not they should have shot...Hunters in France are maniacs..

·
Registered
158 Posts
We arrived in France two weeks ago. We are actually farmers but don't shoot. There are a couple of small woods nearby, all have huts and contraptions for catching pigeons. We've been warned to kerp the children out when there is shooting, the shooters can stay in the wood for weeks and usually a lot of drinking is involved. Such a safe combo! Everyone involved wears high vis vest so I'm tempted to get them for all of us, even if we're just put walking nearby.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Its all part of the joys of living in rural France. Every part of France except mountain tops and I rather fancy they hunt Ibex or Moufflon up there. If people dont like shooting and country pursuits why even consider moving outside of a town. After the huge upheaval and move to a country side dwelling, the hunters and shooters will still be there and will continue in their lifelong pursuits with which I personally cannot disagree with. They certainly will not stop for some discontented immigrant British people. So move at your peril and then become one of the discontented, moaning ex pats. As already mentioned, if you buy an old farm or live near a functioning one, you will be infested with big, black, merde crawling , biting flies every summer, be warned.

If you have land in France or a fishing lake, the French hunters and pecheurs will continue to cross your property and fish your lake. Their attitude is "that our families have always done so and we will continue too do so". I personally know a number of expats who have experienced identical problems. You will also probably be visited by "manouche" early in the mornings , all intent on emptying your lake or stream of anything blessed with gills.

Hope you find somewhere suitable. Fletch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts