Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,

Today I came here to seek any advice about my situation.

I am a Brazilian National Married a Portuguese National for more than 3 years in Germany where I used to live before moving to UK.

I went for one week to Rio de Janeiro( Brazil) For holidays and when I come back the officer desk I went through starting asking me lot's of questions about my personal life, such which country my partner came from, where was my partner, how long time I went for holidays in Brazil, what was my profession in UK, What my partner does, where he works, how much he earns, and ask if i was married a men when I answered my partner is from Portugal, then I get really upset by all this kind of questions where I have answered when I made my application for the 5 years visa, I got 3 visas from UK, never been illegaly in UK and never committed any crimes, and I asked why he was questioning all this questions whilst my visa was still valid with 5 years time, and he got very upset started shouting at me, he makes me feel very ashamed in front of all people, and said now you are go sit there, and I said why? He said NOW SIT THERE, with that words, treating me like a ****, like i was the worst person in the world, I am very stressed emotionally I am just going start doing my first degree in London, and I am very sad by all this things that I don't want to stay in UK anymore, I am thinking moving abroad and leave UK permanently, My partner lived more than 10 years in this country and that's like UK Force Border treat people, treat a family member of a EEA, prohibiting my right of free circulation under EU law, I am really thinking to bring my case to the court, I dont have motivation to make anything, and now i am looking foa job, my partner since we came here worked and never asked benefits, plus this is not the first time they stopped 7 months ago in Calais Port and it was very compelling, again asking me same questions, date when we got married, why we didn't was wearing rings. does anyone here can give me a light on what I can do to stop all this abuse against us?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Since non of us were there, its difficult to comment on any personal individual issues you may have had or felt. The UK border people have a tough job and they have to determine that everyone who passes through is doing so legally, not everyone is and they have to establish that by their questions. I'm sure he's like that with everyone, not just you

Jo xxx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Friends,

Today I came here to seek any advice about my situation.

I am a Brazilian National Married a Portuguese National for more than 3 years in Germany where I used to live before moving to UK.

I went for one week to Rio de Janeiro( Brazil) For holidays and when I come back the officer desk I went through starting asking me lot's of questions about my personal life, such which country my partner came from, where was my partner, how long time I went for holidays in Brazil, what was my profession in UK, What my partner does, where he works, how much he earns, and ask if i was married a men when I answered my partner is from Portugal, then I get really upset by all this kind of questions where I have answered when I made my application for the 5 years visa, I got 3 visas from UK, never been illegaly in UK and never committed any crimes, and I asked why he was questioning all this questions whilst my visa was still valid with 5 years time, and he got very upset started shouting at me, he makes me feel very ashamed in front of all people, and said now you are go sit there, and I said why? He said NOW SIT THERE, with that words, treating me like a ****, like i was the worst person in the world, I am very stressed emotionally I am just going start doing my first degree in London, and I am very sad by all this things that I don't want to stay in UK anymore, I am thinking moving abroad and leave UK permanently, My partner lived more than 10 years in this country and that's like UK Force Border treat people, treat a family member of a EEA, prohibiting my right of free circulation under EU law, I am really thinking to bring my case to the court, I dont have motivation to make anything, and now i am looking foa job, my partner since we came here worked and never asked benefits, plus this is not the first time they stopped 7 months ago in Calais Port and it was very compelling, again asking me same questions, date when we got married, why we didn't was wearing rings. does anyone here can give me a light on what I can do to stop all this abuse against us?
Don't get upset about being questioned - it is their job! There are some places in the world where if you said "why?" when ordered to go somewhere or asked why they were questioning you you would get in a lot more trouble and maybe physically abused. It sounds like you felt you didn't deserve it but they have the right to ask all these questions of anyone. They have more powers than police. Next time, if you have a bit more respect for the authorities and the job they do then you will be fine. Please don't consider leaving the country just because you were questioned by a border guard that didn't accept you answering back! It's rough but it protects all of us. Just do what they tell you and answer their questions like we all do. Hope you don't think I'm being harsh- just trying to explain how we see it in UK

·
Registered
83 Posts
I get asked similar questions every time I go as well. I guess I'm just used to it by now and I know it's their job. I just answer honestly and politely.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I asked why he was questioning all this questions whilst my visa was still valid with 5 years time
I think it would be out of proportion to move out of the UK for this incident and I hope you'll reconsider. I'm truly sorry you were treated rudely, but it sounds like it could have been avoided if you'd just politely answered the questions asked of you. Those questions are directed at ALL non-UK citizens, I get it too. It's frustrating, but that's his job, he's not deliberately trying to make your life more difficult. I highly doubt you have any legal recourse here.

·
Super Moderator
12,533 Posts
In my opinion its a huge over reaction calling it abuse when the border force are simply doing their jobs. Many kinds of subterfuge are used to gain entry to the UK and the border force have to be strenuous in their efforts to protect our borders.
Most people simply accept the questions have to be asked and answer them honestly without getting upset.

·
Super Moderator
5,179 Posts
Don't get upset about being questioned - it is their job! There are some places in the world where if you said "why?" when ordered to go somewhere or asked why they were questioning you you would get in a lot more trouble and maybe physically abused. It sounds like you felt you didn't deserve it but they have the right to ask all these questions of anyone. They have more powers than police. Next time, if you have a bit more respect for the authorities and the job they do then you will be fine. Please don't consider leaving the country just because you were questioned by a border guard that didn't accept you answering back! It's rough but it protects all of us. Just do what they tell you and answer their questions like we all do. Hope you don't think I'm being harsh- just trying to explain how we see it in UK
Agree with this.

I was once detained for 30+ minutes by the US Border Patrol when I tried to enter the USA from Canada by car. I was going on a 2-week road trip by myself.

I wasn't given any explanation as to why I was being detained... heck, when I approached the border guard, the sequence of events just seemed like the usual questions I got every time I used to cross, but for some reason, the border guard wasn't happy with my answers and told me to park my car and go into the customs area. He kept my passport.

Once in the customs hall I was made to produce my driving permit and answer some basic questions and told to have a seat. Someone searched my car, without my knowledge, while I was waiting.

Eventually I was called back to the desk, had my id returned to me and advised that I could continue on my way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I lived almost 3 years in Germany, I got there 5 year visa as well, and never had been questioned because I was a resident, I am UK resident now, I don't see any justify for those questions, plus when I travel to all european countries NO one ask me a question assuming I am family member of EU citizen, I just show my passport with my residence card, they look at my faces smile and say Thank you, In UK it's completely different, It's about racial issues, they are just being racist with people assuming I am not UK Citizen.

I was humiliated with no pity, then I refused to be attended by the officer and his chief came and I explain he was being rude to me and unpolitely, It's not about they are doing their job, Because they have no grounds to do that, I am UK resident, tax payer and deserve a human treatment. I am going to court tomorrow fill a claim against home office, I have a visa which grants me the right to live and work UK without restrictions assuming I am family member of a EEA ( Portuguese).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont get upset by their questions much, It's more about the way they treat me as I was a dog, and I can't let them with this abuse, I am not the only one who passed by this situation, just google it and you will see a lot of complaints.

The only country who treated me like a unhuman was here, and I can't them go on with this. I know the laws which protects me against this scum. I am not a criminal, nor a burden.

I bet if it was a black guy they would not do the same, because they fear it.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I lived almost 3 years in Germany, I got there 5 year visa as well, and never had been questioned because I was a resident, I am UK resident now, I don't see any justify for those questions, plus when I travel to all european countries NO one ask me a question assuming I am family member of EU citizen, I just show my passport with my residence card, they look at my faces smile and say Thank you, In UK it's completely different, It's about racial issues, they are just being racist with people assuming I am not UK Citizen.

I was humiliated with no pity, then I refused to be attended by the officer and his chief came and I explain he was being rude to me and unpolitely, It's not about they are doing their job, Because they have no grounds to do that, I am UK resident, tax payer and deserve a human treatment. I am going to court tomorrow fill a claim against home office, I have a visa which grants me the right to live and work UK without restrictions assuming I am family member of a EEA ( Portuguese).

Forget about it and enjoy your life in the UK

Jo xxx

·
Super Moderator
5,179 Posts
I dont get upset by their questions much, It's more about the way they treat me as I was a dog, and I can't let them with this abuse, I am not the only one who passed by this situation, just google it and you will see a lot of complaints.

The only country who treated me like a unhuman was here, and I can't them go on with this. I know the laws which protects me against this scum. I am not a criminal, nor a burden.

I bet if it was a black guy they would not do the same, because they fear it.
When being questioned in the customs hall, I was blatantly insulted by the border agent.

"These photos don't match. Did you have surgery or something?!" he asked after comparing my driving permit photo with my passport photo.

I admit that my driving permit photo is the worst possible photo I could have ever had done, but then everyone has the same problem.

It was all I could do to keep a civil tongue in my mouth over the nerve of the border guard and his insulting question.

Knowing full well that the US border guards tend to be on a "More important than God" like ego-trip, I just sucked it up, swallowed my pride and dealt with the situation.

"Don't get deported. Don't get deported... your friends are waiting for you in Minnesota. Just answer the questions respectfully and don't get yourself deported!" I reminded myself over and over as I smiled meekly and answered the border agent's questions.

So, you're not the first one who has ever been stopped and questioned by a foreign immigration officer and you'll certainly not be the last. It's not worth getting all bent out of shape over it... at least you weren't just singled out and detained for your appearance (everyone in the customs hall that day was other than Caucasian, myself included)... I have a friend who was refused entry because she is southeast Asian and her boyfriend was half-Black, half Native Indian... they are both Canadian-born citizens and were just going to the US to get some cheap petrol for the car before returning to Canada, but because they fit a certain ethnic profile, they were refused entry.

Reactions: topo morto and jojo

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
Caaaaalm down! Perhaps they could have been a bit more civil with you, but you have no ground for a court action - you won't get anywhere. You weren't punched or kicked or something, after all. They would just say you weren't co-operative and refused to answer their questions properly.
Instead, if you feel strongly about it, lodge a complaint against Border Force through https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/border-force/about/complaints-procedure

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The people here who say to me ''forget it'' and enjoy the life here surely doesnt passed through this same situation, they opened my bags, opened my private documents without my persion or even in my presence, It's impossible to forget when you are not EU citizen, It's easy to british people come here and say forget about it but live in Spain and enjoy the freedom of movement, surely Spain treats better a foreigner rather here in UK

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Plus they said to me I have mental problem, I go to court and yes I am confident I won the battle, even If I need to go to European Court of Human Rights against them, Thanks you all for nothing but your points of views.

·
Super Moderator
5,179 Posts
At least you didn't have to shell out £++++ to get here.

I'm non-EEA married to an UK citizen and have had to pay thousands of pounds in visa fees in order to get what you and your Portuguese spouse get to enjoy for free. I've been here for 3 years and until last October, when I got ILR, I had no right to access any sort of public assistance or job seeker's allowance.

Anyway, this thread is going nowhere and is now closed. You don't have a case against the UKBA for abuse or anything of the like. As Joppa has stated, you weren't physically harmed in any way and yes, the immigration agent could have been a little more diplomatic.

If you really wish to file a complaint about how you were treated, you should proceed to the link that Joppa supplied.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.