Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has got problems with her joints and she lives in Andalusia near the sea. She recalls that she never had as many problems when she spent time near Alicante. I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the salt lakes??

Also, the pollen seems to be really bad this year in Andalusia. Is Alicante not always better in that regard?

·
Administrator
36,383 Posts
A friend of mine has got problems with her joints and she lives in Andalusia near the sea. She recalls that she never had as many problems when she spent time near Alicante. I'm wondering if it may have something to do with the salt lakes??

Also, the pollen seems to be really bad this year in Andalusia. Is Alicante not always better in that regard?
I'm in Jávea in Alicante Province, & we have pretty high humidity - & the more humid it is, the worse my arthritis is :( The temperature has no effect - hot & humid or cold & damp, my joints swell

As for pollen - I & a lot of people I know do seem to be suffering more this year than in recent years, but I don't have any figures

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in Jávea in Alicante Province, & we have pretty high humidity - & the more humid it is, the worse my arthritis is :( The temperature has no effect - hot & humid or cold & damp, my joints swell

As for pollen - I & a lot of people I know do seem to be suffering more this year than in recent years, but I don't have any figures
Any idea about the Torrevieja area?? More than one person has told me it's got the best climate in Europe. Was thinking that may help.

·
Administrator
36,383 Posts
Any idea about the Torrevieja area?? More than one person has told me it's got the best climate in Europe. Was thinking that may help.
sorry - never been there

I have read many times that the World Health Organisation rates the Costa Blanca generally as having one of the healthiest climates in the world though, and according to this, Jávea where I live, specifically Top 10 Healthiest Places To Live In Europe (Info-graphic) | Travel Blog | Travelphant.com

mind you, since that graphic was produced by a property agent ..................

·
Registered
5,899 Posts

I wonder if it depends on differing types of arthritis. Oh is much better in Spain except when it rains a lot. A neighbour who comes from Burgos claims her arthritis is worse in Andalucia.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
I live not so far from Torrox, and the humidity level right now is 35%. It's a hot day (33C) but a dry heat.

How does that compare with the Costa Blanca today, if anyone's around there?

We were in Tarifa on the Costa de la Luz just over a week ago and I found it very humid there. Sounds daft but I can always tell because my hair goes doolally, it's normally poker straight but hates humidity.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
I wonder if it depends on differing types of arthritis. Oh is much better in Spain except when it rains a lot. A neighbour who comes from Burgos claims her arthritis is worse in Andalucia.
My OH used to get joint pain a lot in the UK (no wonder as we lived in a pretty wet part of the country), although it was never diagnosed as arthritis. He very rarely gets it here, only during exceptionally wet period of weather.

·
Administrator
36,383 Posts
I have osteoarthritis in my hips & knees - they are the joints which suffer the most

I've recently started getting signs of rheumatoid in my hands, too - but since that's a new development I don't know if the weather affects that

·
Registered
833 Posts

I don´t fully understand why, but doctors say that the effects of barometric pressure changes on your body affect arthritic pain. The Costa Blanca apparently has the best average atmospheric conditions for arthritis sufferers.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I live not so far from Torrox, and the humidity level right now is 35%. It's a hot day (33C) but a dry heat.

How does that compare with the Costa Blanca today, if anyone's around there?

We were in Tarifa on the Costa de la Luz just over a week ago and I found it very humid there. Sounds daft but I can always tell because my hair goes doolally, it's normally poker straight but hates humidity.
My weather centre says 28c and 50% humidity. We´re in the Costa Blanca mountains, 530 metres above sea level, and probably a lot different on the beach.

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
I have osteoarthritis in my hips & knees - they are the joints which suffer the most

I've recently started getting signs of rheumatoid in my hands, too - but since that's a new development I don't know if the weather affects that
You have my sympathies! I've had osteoarthritis in my neck for years, and recently it's started getting into my fingers.

What little clinical evidence there is suggests that rheumatoid arthritis can be affected by the weather (mainly barometric pressure rather than humidity), and the pain from osteoarthritis is less debilitating in warm dry weather.

However climate only affects the symptoms, not the course of the condition. You aren't "less likely" to become arthritic in a warm climate.

It's possible that people living in warmer places are getting more exercise, which helps keep it under control, or that we are more susceptible to pain when it's cold and wet.

·
Registered
15,613 Posts
I don´t fully understand why, but doctors say that the effects of barometric pressure changes on your body affect arthritic pain. The Costa Blanca apparently has the best average atmospheric conditions for arthritis sufferers.
Yes, it can affect sufferers especially those with rheumatoid arthritis.
Barometric pressure is the weight of the atmosphere that surrounds us. If you imagine the tissues surrounding the joints to be like a balloon, high barometric pressure that pushes against the body from the outside will keep tissues from expanding.

But barometric pressure often drops before bad weather sets in. This lower air pressure pushes less against the body, allowing tissues to expand -- and those expanded tissues can put pressure on the joint.
Weather and Joint Pain: What's the Link?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Has it been proven or is it simply being said?

·
Administrator
36,383 Posts
now that's interesting about barometric pressure - I never knew that!

currently here in Jávea port at sea level, we have 26.8º, 53% humidity (though earlier it was 68% & it regularly hits high 90s & even 100% at night)

barometric pressure is 1015.5hPa whatever that means :confused2:

is that high, low, or average?

one of my knees is very sore today :(

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Just a reminder to all Expats ( down south ) whether on the Costa del Sol, Costa
Blanca, etc that a holiday home in the Asturias region is 'just the ticket' to
get away from all those high summer temperatures and high humidity of Southern
Spain.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts