Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!! I recently got my EEA FP and will be traveling with my wife into the UK. I was wondering how much money we can enter the country. We are thinking about taking 20.000 dollars.

I read that you have to declare any sum over 10.000 per person (or family in our case) is this so? If declared can they seize the money? Would they?

Thing is we've been saving for this for a long time and since Argentina doesn't have the best track record with returning dollars you put in the bank (and now it's practically impossible to buy currency legally) we don't have evidence of its proceeds. Only our pay slips in pesos to show we had some income. So if seized we wouldn't have anything to show where they came from.

Is 20.000 a sum of money that would raise eyebrows if declared by a EEA citizen and their partner? Any experiences you can share?

Thanks!

P.s.: putting it in the bank it is NOT an option.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Rocketlenz said:
Hello!! I recently got my EEA FP and will be traveling with my wife into the UK. I was wondering how much money we can enter the country. We are thinking about taking 20.000 dollars. I read that you have to declare any sum over 10.000 per person (or family in our case) is this so? If declared can they seize the money? Would they? Thing is we've been saving for this for a long time and since Argentina doesn't have the best track record with returning dollars you put in the bank (and now it's practically impossible to buy currency legally) we don't have evidence of its proceeds. Only our pay slips in pesos to show we had some income. So if seized we wouldn't have anything to show where they came from. Is 20.000 a sum of money that would raise eyebrows if declared by a EEA citizen and their partner? Any experiences you can share? Thanks! P.s.: putting it in the bank it is NOT an option.
You have to declare any sum above €10,000 or equivalent (€10,000 = $11,035 approx.). Failure to do so may result in a fine of up to £5,000. You will need to fill out Form C9011, either via download or at the airport.

The money will only be seized if the customs officer suspects a crime has been committed; not sure how you'll be able to prove its provenance without evidence though, or indeed if $20K/couple will raise any eyebrows.

Full details here: https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk

teuchter

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.