Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw a banner logging onto ImmiAccount that linked off to some huge changes for New Zealanders migrating to Australia that I don't even think has made the news from 9th December

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/news-media/archive/article?itemId=1000

Basically, as of the 10th December the New Zealand stream is temporarily closed to new applications, and a taskforce has been established to priority process all the on-hand applications. If you have a partner, you can still add them to your application. From July 2023, it will reopen, but they're removing the income, residency, and health requirements - so all New Zealanders will be eligible to apply regardless when they entered Australia, and regardless of income (for the low, low, price of ~$4000)

They're also changing the Citizenship eligibility criteria for 189 NZ stream holders, but no detail on what that looks like yet.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/become-a-citizen/permanent-resident#Eligibility

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just found what they're doing for Citizenship. Basically, your permanent resident status will be backdated to 1 January 2022 if your visa is granted before July 2023, meaning as soon as your residency is granted you are eligible for citizenship.

· Registered
1 Posts
Quick question - If a person has not applied for 189 NZ Stream Visa and has been living in Australia for the last 4 years.
What would be the options available to apply Citizenship or PR?

· Registered
27,910 Posts
Quick question - If a person has not applied for 189 NZ Stream Visa and has been living in Australia for the last 4 years.
What would be the options available to apply Citizenship or PR?
You cannot get the citizenship directly
You have to first get the PR and then only you can start thinking about the process for getting citizenship

You cannot apply for the PR for the next few months
Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa – New Zealand stream only – temporary closure of applications and streamlining measures commencing 10 December 2022
The New Zealand stream of the Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa (the New Zealand stream) has temporarily closed to new applications. This means a new application cannot be made from 10 December 2022 until 1 July 2023.
This is a temporary pause on new applications while the Government considers future migration and citizenship pathways for New Zealand citizens in Australia, reflecting the close ties between our two nations.
During this period, the Department of Home Affairs will seek to finalise the majority of on-hand applications in the New Zealand stream, and has established a dedicated taskforce to prioritise the processing of this caseload.

Cheers

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The above rules only apply to applications which have already been made, and the stream is currently closed to new applicants. The final rules will come out sometime around July 2023.

· Registered
27,910 Posts
Do you have any idea or any one who applied Skilled 189 Nz stream who currently approval yet As I Am waiting since June 2022. Please let me know your input.
DHA is expediting all pending NZ applications in view of the proposed changes
You will not have to wait long for a decision
Cheers

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys,
Do we know how many days will it take after you pay the 2nd Payment?
I got an email on Thursday 19th of Jan no phone call, no questions asked, and no medical needed (How nice is that 😀). just an email asking to pay money.
I called the immigration office but they were not able to provide any information.
Also, I was reading the previous post saying we don't need to wait to get citizenship if we get it before July 2023. Cannot find much info on that though on the internet.

· Registered
13 Posts
Hi Guys,
I got an email on Thursday 19th of Jan no phone call, no questions asked, and no medical needed (How nice is that 😀). just an email asking to pay money.
I called the immigration office but they were not able to provide any information.
Also, I was reading the previous post saying we don't need to wait to get citizenship if we get it before July 2023. Cannot find much info on that though on the internet.
HI Harshad, just wondering do u mind if I ask you when did you apply please for Skilled 189 nz stream ?

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Guys,
If you've been asked to pay a VAC2, your visa has been approved and once paid they will grant the visa, usually within a few hours to at worst a couple of weeks.

This is due to Australian Citizenship (Permanent Resident) Determination (LIN 22/103) 2022 (legislation.gov.au). This determination essentially says that a person was taken to have been a permanent resident on the 1 January 2022 if they are:
  1. a New Zealand citizen
  2. previously the holder of a SC444 Special Category Visa
  3. issued a 189 New Zealand Stream visa between the 31st December 2021 and 1st July 2023
Basically, this means that if you get a 189NZ visa issued today, you became a permanent resident on the 1 January 2022, and have already met the one year eligibility to apply for citizenship.

Refer to Become an Australian citizen (by conferral) Permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens (homeaffairs.gov.au) and expand the "Eligibility -> Residence requirement -> New Zealand citizens holding a Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa" headings for plain English explanation.

· Registered
4 Posts
If you've been asked to pay a VAC2, your visa has been approved and once paid they will grant the visa, usually within a few hours to at worst a couple of weeks.

This is due to Australian Citizenship (Permanent Resident) Determination (LIN 22/103) 2022 (legislation.gov.au). This determination essentially says that a person was taken to have been a permanent resident on the 1 January 2022 if they are:
  1. a New Zealand citizen
  2. previously the holder of a SC444 Special Category Visa
  3. issued a 189 New Zealand Stream visa between the 31st December 2021 and 1st July 2023
Basically, this means that if you get a 189NZ visa issued today, you became a permanent resident on the 1 January 2022, and have already met the one year eligibility to apply for citizenship.

Refer to Become an Australian citizen (by conferral) Permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens (homeaffairs.gov.au) and expand the "Eligibility -> Residence requirement -> New Zealand citizens holding a Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa" headings for plain English explanation.
Thanks for clearing that up Kyanar, hope it will come in next 2 weeks.

· Registered
4 Posts
My sister in law got the email to pay her 2nd VAC on 19th and she got her residency today. My family got our 2nd VAC on 20th so hoping we’ll have it by the end of the week. I have my citizenship form ready. 😁

1 - 20 of 41 Posts