Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received a message from a visitor to one of my websites about living in SE Asia. Although the fellow signed his name, I will not repeat it; he might survive longer with anonymity. Quoted verbatim:

"I recently discovered your website which I found interesting.

I was particularly interested in the section regarding starting up a business in Thailand, and with the greatest respect I don't believe that you have a clue what you are talking about.

I am a UK citizen (British), recently retired, and although I have only been to Thailand a couple of times I really love the country.

I have no Thai wife/girlfriend/lover - whatever.

I plan to move to the country soon and start up my own business - deep sea fishing in Phuket, which is my passion.

And let me tell you something my friend(s). I will run MY business, on MY terms, MY way, and I will NOT allow ANY Thai, no matter how "well-connected" he may be, to f**k me around.
I will NOT pay any "tea money" to anyone. I will hire who I want, on my terms, and I will run my business in accordance with strict Western values.

I could not give a rat's arse who I p*** off - I will NOT be intimidated by some Asian upstart pr**k.
In short, these people will march to the sound of MY drum. If they don't like it - tough.

These people need to be put in their place, and your pusillanamous attitude - "oh, it's THEIR country, we have to let them do things THEIR way," p***es me off.

Well I will NOT do things THEIR way. I will do things MY way. I will run MY company for Western tourists, and I couldn't give a flying f**k what any Thai arsehole has to say about it.

Regards

MH"

With this sort of attitude, how long do you give him?

·
Registered
125 Posts
With this attitude ?????
A couple of months or may be he will not even pass the point of obtaining the necessary documents.
I always wonder what people like this want to do here,they obviously have nu clue about how things work in Thailand.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Many of us Farang seem to forget that we are guests or visitors in Thailand and have no "right" to be here like we do in our home countries. I accept being a kind of 2nd class inhabitant here because the thought of ever going back to America is far worse. With that said, I've been treated better in Thailand than I ever would have been treated in my own country. I also admire the Thai's loyalty to each other. One of the problems with America is that we hate each other so much and think it is fashionable, chic and politically correct to screw over another American in favor of someone else. That is far more irrational thinking than what the Thais (and most of the rest of the World) do.

G

·
If he tries to set up in Pattaya, I give him 24 hours before he's shot, or 'jumps off a balcony' :D.

Seriously though, he hasn't got a chance. He obviously has zero knowledge of Thailand and he's going to come a major cropper in no time at all.

I'll take your word for it laobali, but to be honest that seems a bit of a caricature of the dummest possible budding expat businessman. I couldn't have made up a more stupid character if I'd tried.

I'm not in the least surprised he's a Brit, there are still plenty around with that Little Englander, Rule Brittannia complex.

(Feel free to invite him to comment on this forum ;))

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If he tries to set up in Pattaya, I give him 24 hours before he's shot, or 'jumps off a balcony' :D.

Seriously though, he hasn't got a chance. He obviously has zero knowledge of Thailand and he's going to come a major cropper in no time at all.

I'll take your word for it laobali, but to be honest that seems a bit of a caricature of the dummest possible budding expat businessman. I couldn't have made up a more stupid character if I'd tried.

I'm not in the least surprised he's a Brit, there are still plenty around with that Little Englander, Rule Brittannia complex.

(Feel free to invite him to comment on this forum ;))
I was surprised to receive this email too, but he took the trouble to write it and signed his name. I also replied but as yet have received no further response:

"[name],

You're winding me up, right? Thanks for a really good laugh. I'd love to see the reaction of some of the old hands in the expat forums if you posted your ideas and intentions there. You're basing your retirement ambitions on a couple of holidays in Phuket?

It's totally unrealistic to think you can do what you want in Thailand, whether you are British (as I am) or anything else. I lived there for 7 years and started, ran and sold a business which was quite successful. I don't want to do it again for a multitude of reasons. I actually found a better place (for me). You wouldn't last a week with your attitude, though, believe me.

Some people just have to learn the hard way, and I can see you are a classic example. Loving Thailand and having a passion for deep sea fishing may just not be enough, old chap. Have you run a business in the UK, or in a foreign country? Or have you inherited a large sum of money you don't care if you lose, or do you perhaps have an early death wish or feel like spending your retirement in a Thai prison? It's cheap living, but the cuisine and rooms are not so great, from what I hear.

Love to know more about you; your British bulldog bravado (if not total delusion) is at least refreshing. Thanks for brightening up my lazy Asian day!

[webmaster]"

·
Registered
58 Posts
I recently received a message from a visitor to one of my websites about living in SE Asia. Although the fellow signed his name, I will not repeat it; he might survive longer with anonymity. Quoted verbatim:

I was particularly interested in the section regarding starting up a business in Thailand, and with the greatest respect I don't believe that you have a clue what you are talking about.

I am a UK citizen (British), recently retired, and although I have only been to Thailand a couple of times I really love the country.

I plan to move to the country soon and start up my own business - deep sea fishing in Phuket, which is my passion.

And let me tell you something my friend(s). I will run MY business, on MY terms, MY way, and I will NOT allow ANY Thai, no matter how "well-connected" he may be, to f**k me around.
I will NOT pay any "tea money" to anyone. I will hire who I want, on my terms, and I will run my business in accordance with strict Western values.

I could not give a rat's arse who I p*** off - I will NOT be intimidated by some Asian upstart pr**k.
In short, these people will march to the sound of MY drum. If they don't like it - tough.

These people need to be put in their place, and your pusillanamous attitude - "oh, it's THEIR country, we have to let them do things THEIR way," p***es me off.

Well I will NOT do things THEIR way. I will do things MY way. I will run MY company for Western tourists, and I couldn't give a flying f**k what any Thai arsehole has to say about it.

Regards

MH"

Deep sea fishing?It sounds more like he will be deep sixed if if tries to act that way here.

·
Banned
14 Posts

Regards

MH"

OOOOHHHH yes this guy will be in the paper.

Man found dead after telling employie to do it my Fu**ing way!!
If the police don't put him in jail first.
let him come, let him lose all his money, and let him be sent home like all the other dumb *sses who thought they were going to change these people.
Thailand is a great country if you just take the time to learn the culture first. those who don't are doomed to just loose and loose big.

G

·

Regards

MH"

PLEASE PLEASE try and find out what happens to him, :eek: and let us know pleaseeee.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Regards

MH"

With this attitude I would tell him, like I tell all immigrants to any country; if you are not going to respect the local cutlure and way of life piss off back to where you came from.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think it's a phony post and it's not worth bothering to argue with whoever posted it, and yes as Cer said, I've seen the same post a few months back.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Rest In Peace

Regards

MH"

This poor fellow will somehow die, and, no one, that's NO ONE, will care why.

I moved here to teach six weeks ago. The first thing I learned is to respect the Thais in every way possible. And, they will love you back.

But, be an arrogant, pushy, ignorant, a**hol* farang, and, you won't last long, spiritually, financially, or, living.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to the OP for an example that helps me to see that I might have made a damn fool of myself last night, after one of those 'mystery' bia Changs that I remember having the misfortune to have unknowingly consumed once or twice in the past, but I can at least take some small consolation in knowing that I was not relatively all that bad in my drunken efforts to sleep in the carpark to look after my motosai overnight. Maybe there are others with bigger attitude problems than mine?

Thanks also for the newsletter that reminded me of this forum, that I had basically forgotten about since getting back to Thailand two weeks ago. After feeling like such a dope and after apologising to everyone I've encountered all day for my foolishness last night, this thread link couldn't have come at a better time, so thanks.
I guess I can head off to the restaurant in an hour or so for a repeat performance, but hopefully the bia Chang will be only 6% this time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also posted it in another expat forum

I think it's a phony post and it's not worth bothering to argue with whoever posted it, and yes as Cer said, I've seen the same post a few months back.
The rant I received as an email would have appeared in another forum, but some time after I put it up here, I did get a response from the writer who was very angry I had mentioned his initials - let alone the name he provided, so I tend to think it was genuine, but it still could have been a windup. Who knows? Here's what he wrote:

"Thank you for your reply, and the link to the website [this forum].

Please let me state from the outset that I am less than impressed with your decision to put my e-mail on the site without my permission. I would have willingly given it if requested, but I would have thought that courtesy alone would have dictated that you ask me first.

If that was too much trouble, perhaps you could have said something in your earlier reply to me along the lines of "unless I hear to the contrary from you, I propose to put your e-mail on the following website......"

At risk of repeating myself, I would have given permission but I would have requested complete anonyminity [sic]. Admittedly you have only printed my initials, but even that is excessive. After all, I have shown respect and courtesy you in giving you my name and e-mail address; could you not have extended the same to me by refraining to publish anything which might identify me?

I write frequently to your fellow blogger [the site he sent it to is not a blog], Stickman, and he displays a far more professional manner by not printing anything which may identify the writer.

I found the comments of those who replied to you to be interesting but, as I have stated, some of you people don't know what you are talking about. My business will be solely for Westerners although I will employ the odd Thai boat boy and ******. I had to laugh at the individual who said something about me losing my heart to a bar girl. Why would I want to go with a prostitute - I am happily married to a respectable English woman?

I do not consider anything further needs to be said on this subject. As I have mentioned - if for some inexplicable reason you find this subject interesting enough to put on your website (and I cannot think for one minute that you would) please show some respect and observe complete anonyminity [sic].

Thank you.

Regards, [name]"

So draw your own conclusions. It's raised a bit of interest among members, though, and a few laughs.

laobali

·
Registered
125 Posts
His reaction about anonymity is correct.
About dealing with "only" westerns.
All his permissions/visa/work permit and other official stuff,he will have to deal with THAI.
Further more as a western myself,no one will bully me.
I still believe the total attitude will not bring him business luck.
Just my humble opinion

G

·
Ditto - he hasn't a hope in Thailand with that attitude. A good businessman adapts to the working environment, he doesn't attempt to mould the environment to fit his personal preferences and inclinations. A Brit can get away with that approach - just about - in, for example, the rest of Europe. But even there he would be creating unnecessary problems for himself.

The Thais will take great pleasure in bringing him down a peg or two if his posts are genuine, and not just bluster. In Thailand there is the law - and then there is what actually goes on. And the latter is controlled by some pretty unscrupulous characters around LOS. Including those whose official jobs are on the government side of the law.

G

·
The rant I received as an email would have appeared in another forum, but some time after I put it up here, I did get a response from the writer who was very angry I had mentioned his initials - let alone the name he provided, so I tend to think it was genuine, but it still could have been a windup. Who knows? Here's what he wrote:

"Thank you for your reply, and the link to the website [this forum].

Please let me state from the outset that I am less than impressed with your decision to put my e-mail on the site without my permission. I would have willingly given it if requested, but I would have thought that courtesy alone would have dictated that you ask me first.

If that was too much trouble, perhaps you could have said something in your earlier reply to me along the lines of "unless I hear to the contrary from you, I propose to put your e-mail on the following website......"

At risk of repeating myself, I would have given permission but I would have requested complete anonyminity [sic]. Admittedly you have only printed my initials, but even that is excessive. After all, I have shown respect and courtesy you in giving you my name and e-mail address; could you not have extended the same to me by refraining to publish anything which might identify me?

I write frequently to your fellow blogger [the site he sent it to is not a blog], Stickman, and he displays a far more professional manner by not printing anything which may identify the writer.

I found the comments of those who replied to you to be interesting but, as I have stated, some of you people don't know what you are talking about. My business will be solely for Westerners although I will employ the odd Thai boat boy and ******. I had to laugh at the individual who said something about me losing my heart to a bar girl. Why would I want to go with a prostitute - I am happily married to a respectable English woman?

I do not consider anything further needs to be said on this subject. As I have mentioned - if for some inexplicable reason you find this subject interesting enough to put on your website (and I cannot think for one minute that you would) please show some respect and observe complete anonyminity [sic].

Thank you.

Regards, [name]"

So draw your own conclusions. It's raised a bit of interest among members, though, and a few laughs.

laobali
Well the guy just had his first experience of Thailand where nothing is secret whether he likes it or not. We warned him in the posts. We can already see how wrong he is in his expectations and seemingly everything else. I can get any farrang tracked and find out what his business is very easily and I assume that someone is tracking me and my business. Well I know for a fact that all the Thais who know me even know my sperm count because my wife told them.
I give his wife a week before she tries to get him out of Thailand away from the girls. If he stays then the odds of him being seduced by an Angel are as good as 100% within a very short time – maybe another week. He has no idea, which I expect he will have a few seconds to reconsider as the concrete approaches on his short trip from the balcony. Seriously if this is genuine (that doubt itself should be enough of a warning to him) then he should understand that this forum is to help people avoid problems. Thailand is so different and this forum is here to help with that. Or of course to have a laugh at boneheads.
:(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't heard from him again, but I hope he's following this thread and reconsidering his idea of starting a business in Phuket or anywhere else in Thailand.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I haven't heard from him again, but I hope he's following this thread and reconsidering his idea of starting a business in Phuket or anywhere else in Thailand.

laobali,

It's pretty easy to track someone on this forum - if they're still posting. Just put your cursor on your/my or any other name and you can see their profile, when last they posted etc.

Like others, I read that post over six months ago - could have been longer. At first I thought it legit but now I'm thinking someone is having a bit of fun stirring the honey pot. At least I hope that's right. If not he does, indeed, have a bleak future. I'll hope [for his sake] he is/was pulling our collective leg.

Serendipity2

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He may have chosen several sites to post his rant or email the webmaster, and someone else may have posted it here before me. All I have recorded is my personal interaction with him.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.