Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had done Bachelors in Software Engineering from Bahria University, Karachi. I want to know if my degree is equivalent australian degree? so that I can apply for skill assessment for Group A.

Thanks

Reactions: Ferdoes

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You would know if the course descriptions of the degrees was similar or identical.

Essentially a degree is considered equivalent if this 1:1 relationship holds between an AU bachelors and foreign bachelors degree.

I think the assessing agency (i.e. ACS) uses NOOSR publications to find out whether the degrees are equivalent. Unfortunately access to most NOOSR publications requires a fee.

I had done Bachelors in Software Engineering from Bahria University, Karachi. I want to know if my degree is equivalent australian degree? so that I can apply for skill assessment for Group A.

Thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
@OP: Are you sure it says "equivalent" and not "recognized"? Recognized overseas universities are listed on Immi's website, I think. Do a search.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is Country Education Profiles (CEP) that provides information and guidelines on comparing qualifications from 119 countries.

but it is paid subscription service only for
Educational institutions
Employers
Assessing authorities
Professional bodies
Government departments and agencies
Recruitment agencies

I think we cant know what their guidelines to compare qualification according to AUS equivalent degree

You would know if the course descriptions of the degrees was similar or identical.

Essentially a degree is considered equivalent if this 1:1 relationship holds between an AU bachelors and foreign bachelors degree.

I think the assessing agency (i.e. ACS) uses NOOSR publications to find out whether the degrees are equivalent. Unfortunately access to most NOOSR publications requires a fee.

Reactions: vembu293

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup it says equivalent Australian degree/diploma in the the document of PIM Guidelines 23February2009 from ACS.

As far as you are assessed with ACS, DIAC wont go into that detail i guess.

still i will search the listed universities.

@OP: Are you sure it says "equivalent" and not "recognized"? Recognized overseas universities are listed on Immi's website, I think. Do a search.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If yours is a recognized engineering institute (for example in India, we have AICTE - All India Council for Technical Education) by a corresponding technical board in your country, it will most likely be of global standards, and will be recognized.
Also, for ACS to recognize your degree as IT major, you should have computer software/hardware/networking relating subjects covered in 2 full semesters.
You can analyze and decide.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a major in software engineering that includes, object oriented, programming, project management, quality assurance, Artificial Intelligence etc..

Yup, my uni is registered with Pakistan Engineering Council which is standard for an engineering university to be recognized in Pakistan. I guess its fine :)..

thanks.

If yours is a recognized engineering institute (for example in India, we have AICTE - All India Council for Technical Education) by a corresponding technical board in your country, it will most likely be of global standards, and will be recognized.
Also, for ACS to recognize your degree as IT major, you should have computer software/hardware/networking relating subjects covered in 2 full semesters.
You can analyze and decide.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is Country Education Profiles (CEP) that provides information and guidelines on comparing qualifications from 119 countries.

but it is paid subscription service only for
Educational institutions
Employers
Assessing authorities
Professional bodies
Government departments and agencies
Recruitment agencies

I think we cant know what their guidelines to compare qualification according to AUS equivalent degree
Hi Faraz,

CEP is very useful tool to finding out the chance of getting a positive skills assessment as all skills assessor, including the ASC, use the CEP inform as part of their assessment process.

Essentially if your studies at a level 1 institution you should submit your skills assessment, level 2 means there is risk and level 3, well if its level 3 or more dont bother.

Cheers,
Sam Hammadieh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts