Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people! Just needed a small clarification. If I go to Oz by taking unpaid leave from my current Indian job (instead of resigning), then will the days during which I'm on leave, be added to my total work experience while being considered for a job in Australia?

This is my situation. I will be completing 5 years of work experience in July 2015. So if I take unpaid leave for June and July, then apply for jobs in Oz in July (while being physically present in Oz), would my experience be considered as 5 years, or would it be 4 years 10 months (due to June and July not being taken into account)? I'll still be employed in my current company, though. But just on unpaid leave.

Kindly shed some light on this. Thank you.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone please?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please clarify why do you need this, since you already have the visa. So you do not need points anymore.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. It is not for the points.

There are jobs specifying different levels of work experience as the eligibility criteria for applying. In case my paid leave is considered, I would be able to apply for jobs which specify 5+ years of experience. Otherwise, I would only be able to apply for jobs specifying 4+ years (because even 1 day less than 5 years would fall under the 4+ category I suppose).

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,932 Posts
Hi,
Your experience is based on your joining date in a company - until today's date.
It does not matter if in that timeframe you have had paid or unpaid leave.
If you joined a company on 1st May 2010 then up until today you have worked for them for 5 years - regardless of the fact you might have had a total of 6 months paid and unpaid leave in that time.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sorry, I should have been more specific. It is not for the points.

There are jobs specifying different levels of work experience as the eligibility criteria for applying. In case my paid leave is considered, I would be able to apply for jobs which specify 5+ years of experience. Otherwise, I would only be able to apply for jobs specifying 4+ years (because even 1 day less than 5 years would fall under the 4+ category I suppose).
In Oz a few months give or take should be fine mate.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,
Your experience is based on your joining date in a company - until today's date.
It does not matter if in that timeframe you have had paid or unpaid leave.
If you joined a company on 1st May 2010 then up until today you have worked for them for 5 years - regardless of the fact you might have had a total of 6 months paid and unpaid leave in that time.
Cheers
Steve
Thank you!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hello Funkyzoom- Congratulations on your visa grant!. 5 years with the same company? Don't forget the gratuity.
I would say it would be the joining date till relieving date.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Funkyzoom- Congratulations on your visa grant!. 5 years with the same company? Don't forget the gratuity.
I would say it would be the joining date till relieving date.
Thank you! Yeah, it is the only company I have worked in. It is a startup and so the pay is slightly on the lower side, but I stayed here due to the opportunities I got for working on a variety of technologies, and also job satisfaction.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thank you! Yeah, it is the only company I have worked in. It is a startup and so the pay is slightly on the lower side, but I stayed here due to the opportunities I got for working on a variety of technologies, and also job satisfaction.
Nice to hear. Wishing you the very best in your venture!

Cheers,
Jai

1 - 11 of 11 Posts