Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, every time I try to go to websites like cbs and abc I get blocked and can't watch all my favorite shows in America. Does anyone know any tricks or ways I can get around this? I really want to watch my favorite show "How I met your Mother" and those kind of shows.

Thanks,

Mika

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi, every time I try to go to websites like cbs and abc I get blocked and can't watch all my favorite shows in America. Does anyone know any tricks or ways I can get around this? I really want to watch my favorite show "How I met your Mother" and those kind of shows.

Thanks,

Mika
Slingbox. But you will need a friend in the states that will let you tap their cable and internet connection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Slingbox. But you will need a friend in the states that will let you tap their cable and internet connection.
Get a VPN and you'll love it! I have one installed on my iPhone and PC that allows me to surf the web anytime I go and travel on a US IP. Very convenient because it encrypts my wi-fi on a 128bit server and lets me get caught up on CSI.

This will show you how to set it up:

·
Registered
85 Posts
You can also get the episodes from megaupload/fileserve/hotfile/rapidshare links about 30 minutes after the show airs. How I met your mother is an easy one to get this way, and most other popular shows are also easy to find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can also get the episodes from megaupload/fileserve/hotfile/rapidshare links about 30 minutes after the show airs. How I met your mother is an easy one to get this way, and most other popular shows are also easy to find.
But can you get it working on your iphone or home TV? Personally I can't megaupload because of all the ads...

·
Registered
85 Posts
But can you get it working on your iphone or home TV? Personally I can't megaupload because of all the ads...
What do you mean all the ads? I use adblock plus so I don't see any ads on megaupload, not that I would spend much time there anyway since that's just where the files are hosted. Searching for links is done on other dedicated forums anyway, not directly on megaupload.com. On a jailbroken iphone you too can block ads, so I have heard. In theory I do not see a reason why megaupload wouldn't work on the iphone, if the included browser has the functionality which is currently typical of most mainstream internet browsers.

Actually for the iphone, I've googled that for you. First hit when searching ' Megaupload iphone ':

For home TV I'm not sure, what is your setup? Is your home tv linked to a hard drive? Or do you do your browsing on the TV? Using a PS3? There are many ways to watch megaupload content on a TV, I think it just depends on which way you find most convenient for yourself.

Another option more generally is to watch using a DNS spoofing service such as USVideo.org. Not sure it works in all countries, but it's free to try for a week, and requires no credit card info for the trial. Many find it very useful for watching US video on a variety of major us content sites while outside the United States. All you do is adjust the IP addresses in your router's DNS settings and you are good to go. Takes about 30 seconds.

I'm really a noob at this though, google is your friend. It seems there are many ways to solve your problem, and many guides high in the google results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hotspot Shield

I use Hotspot Shield - it's free and acts as a tunnel - it allows me to watch Hulu and Netflix most of the time - sometimes it doesn't work but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks,

Mika
Have you tried going to websites like Hulu to watch shows? Or does it block you there as well?

·
Registered
85 Posts
We help Canadians access video and audio content available only to US residents US Video for the World

This website above works really well for people in Canada who want to get around geoblocking. It costs 5 bucks a month but I've done the free trial and it seems flawless. Allows access to Hulu, Netflix, ABC, and all other US-based online video sites which discriminate against people based on geography.

Not sure what other countries it works in. It just requires a small adjustment to your DNS settings. Instructions are on the website, very simple.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I watch US Netflix in the UK through Unotelly at the moment. Its about $6 a month, works on my iPhone and Mac. I'm hoping I'll be able to do the same when we move to SA!x

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

·
Registered
2 Posts
My personal favourite method is the browser plugin Hola. It's probably the easiest and it's free. It's quite fast too.

Also, if you want a full VPN for your machine (so that you can use UK or US iTunes store or something) you can also try TunnelBear. Not free, but cheap and very easy to use.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Seems I'm too new to post URLs. You can search Google for "Hola Unblocker" and "Tunnel Bear" and you should find it.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thanks,

Mika
I have had the same problem :(((
Also I can't listen to Pandora radio :(((

1 - 20 of 23 Posts