Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I need to see a doctor (any kind) to get a prescription for a medrol pack (prednisone) or something similar. Either way I have to pay up front, whether or not my insurance company covers it.

That said can anyone direct me to how I could go about being seen by a doctor? I don't need treatment I just need to bring my medication and ask the doctor for a refill. I can pay several hundred euros for the appointment and script. I just need to know where to go w/o my NIE (haven't gotten it yet).

Can I go to a private clinic? Private hospital? If so, typically, what's the cost?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hello,

So I need to see a doctor (any kind) to get a prescription for a medrol pack (prednisone) or something similar. Either way I have to pay up front, whether or not my insurance company covers it.

That said can anyone direct me to how I could go about being seen by a doctor? I don't need treatment I just need to bring my medication and ask the doctor for a refill. I can pay several hundred euros for the appointment and script. I just need to know where to go w/o my NIE (haven't gotten it yet).

Can I go to a private clinic? Private hospital? If so, typically, what's the cost?

Thanks in advance,
Have you tried asking a Farmacia if they will supply the drug without a prescription? Many drugs that are prescription only in other countries can be bought over the counter in Spain. If you have to see a doctor just Google "Médicos Barcelona." Many private doctors work from home or small surgeries or medical centres or you can go to a private hospital, but that will cost more. Private doctors in my area charge around €40 for a consultation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried asking a Farmacia if they will supply the drug without a prescription? Many drugs that are prescription only in other countries can be bought over the counter in Spain. If you have to see a doctor just Google "Médicos Barcelona." Many private doctors work from home or small surgeries or medical centres or you can go to a private hospital, but that will cost more. Private doctors in my area charge around €40 for a consultation.
Hey so I tried a pharmacy in Gracia and she said I need a script for prednisone. I was going to reply back to you saying I already tried that, as multiple people told me the same thing. So I was in Eixample and tried a pharmacy on Gran Via Corts. I told the woman that I had Lupus, was beginning to feel a flare come on, and wanted to make sure I had enough to get me through.

To my surprise she sold it to me and I told her about the other woman that refused. In Spanish she said, "Yeah it depends on the pharmacy. Some will give it to you. Some won't. You just told me you have Lupus and that you need it, and it's not a serious drug, so of course I'm going to sell it to you".

Only €2.5 euros! It's cheap in the US too. So glad I listened to you. I would have had to spent a whole bunch more money for such a cheap drug.

It seems like it depends on what the drug is and what pharmacy it is correct? I'd imagine it's probably easier to get a script in the smaller cities, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way I'm set for a few more months!

I am going to need a refill of Plaquenil (an anti-malarial used as Lupus maintenance drug). I wonder if I take my old prescription to the same pharmacy will she fill it. It's safer and more benign than even prednisone.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts