Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

In my last two attempts of PTE, I am able to score more than 65 in listening,reading and writting but unfortunately unable to crack 65 in Speaking

Can any body help me with some interesting tips to score more than 65 in speaking

Regards

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Guys

In my last two attempts of PTE, I am able to score more than 65 in listening,reading and writting but unfortunately unable to crack 65 in Speaking

Can any body help me with some interesting tips to score more than 65 in speaking

Regards
Check E2Learning channel on youtube. Best PTE video tutorials so far I have seen. There are other good tutorials too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't stop talking and don't use filler words. I'm a native english speaker but on my first speaking practice test I did really poorly because I didn't know what to do. I watched the tutorials listed above and it really helped. Focus on speaking clearly and concisely and use the whole time, stopping just a second or so before the time runs out. If you don't know what to say talk about something unrelated, you'll still get most of the points as long as you're clear and concise. I made something completely up for a couple parts and got a 90 still.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Guys

Regards
Indeed I feel that speaking is the hardest section (although it may look the easiest). Here is what I will do:
- Practice with Google Voice Typing @ Google Docs. Read a paragraph and check if Google can detect your pronunciation.
- I use the template from E2 Language for retell lecture (and summarise spoken text). Before you start your PTE exam, I wrote the template beforehand so I don't feel nervous.

If you don't mind spend a few hundred bucks, you may want to enroll into PTE preparation course. Some of them offer free session on how to crack speaking in no time!

All the best.

David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I would like to know where I can get advise from about PTE especially speaking. I can't seem to crack the PTE and I have taken the test 7 times.

should i give it another go?

my last three scores:

L 71 76 72
R 63 70 65
S 61 52 53
W 78 77 79

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I would like to know where I can get advise from about PTE especially speaking. I can't seem to crack the PTE and I have taken the test 7 times.

should i give it another go?

my last three scores:

L 71 76 72
R 63 70 65
S 61 52 53
W 78 77 79

Hi,

So sorry to hear that. Speaking is an important component especially in the PTE. My suggestion is to look over your enabling skills in oral fluency and pronunciation. And then practice it over and over again by:
- Using Google Voice Typing through Google Docs,
- Using template for Retell Lecture and Describe Image.

All the best!

David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

So sorry to hear that. Speaking is an important component especially in the PTE. My suggestion is to look over your enabling skills in oral fluency and pronunciation. And then practice it over and over again by:
- Using Google Voice Typing through Google Docs,
- Using template for Retell Lecture and Describe Image.

All the best!

David
Hi David,

Thank you replying!

Both my Oral Fluency and Pronunciation scores are always in the 40-60 range. I don't really know how to improve them as my first language is English and have tried using both what you suggest.

What do I need to look for when I practise? For now, I don't know what went wrong hence the difficulty in understanding where to improve.

Appreciate your help :)

Best,
Gosemore

·
Registered
91 Posts
Like what David said E2Language is the best way to practice not only for speaking but also all components. They provide you with a templates for speaking which you can use for speaking. I did the same exact thing of writing down the template before speaking timer starts Please do not hesitate to spend a few hundred bucks as it will help to clear the PTE hurdle quickly.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi David,

Thank you replying!

Both my Oral Fluency and Pronunciation scores are always in the 40-60 range. I don't really know how to improve them as my first language is English and have tried using both what you suggest.

What do I need to look for when I practise? For now, I don't know what went wrong hence the difficulty in understanding where to improve.

Appreciate your help :)

Best,
Gosemore

Hi Gosemore,

Yes, the oral fluency and pronunciation are the key to the speaking component. Also, if you can, try to revise the speaking component in a test format (i.e., mock test). At the same time, you need to record. Have a look and I'm pretty sure you can certainly improve from there.

I used to study in Singapore as well and hence, have this "singlish" accent but I managed to get 79!

Best,

David

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have subscribed platinum user on E2 language, but I don't think that it helps much on your pronunciation. To achieve good pronunciation, it requires your ability to produce sounds and rhymes like a native speaker, and it is affected greatly by your conventional pronunciation.

I think that other components (reading, listening) do influence your score on speaking, but not much or even a single point boost. I have recently tried the practice online on PTE official site, I recorded all the test, find out the best answer for each task, practiced carefully, took it again. But I increased by just 5 points in speaking (to 55).

The bottom line at here is that it is your ability in English. You should consider what is your strength and weakness. And can you improve your weakness? It could take you a considerable amount of time and effort to improve your English especially pronunciation and fluency. There is no shortcut in learning English. Those secure high scores actually have very good background in English.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Indeed I feel that speaking is the hardest section (although it may look the easiest). Here is what I will do:
- Practice with Google Voice Typing @ Google Docs. Read a paragraph and check if Google can detect your pronunciation.
- I use the template from E2 Language for retell lecture (and summarise spoken text). Before you start your PTE exam, I wrote the template beforehand so I don't feel nervous.

If you don't mind spend a few hundred bucks, you may want to enroll into PTE preparation course. Some of them offer free session on how to crack speaking in no time!

All the best.

David

Can you please share the template for Re-tell lecture & Summarize Spoken Text.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have subscribed platinum user on E2 language, but I don't think that it helps much on your pronunciation. To achieve good pronunciation, it requires your ability to produce sounds and rhymes like a native speaker, and it is affected greatly by your conventional pronunciation.

I think that other components (reading, listening) do influence your score on speaking, but not much or even a single point boost. I have recently tried the practice online on PTE official site, I recorded all the test, find out the best answer for each task, practiced carefully, took it again. But I increased by just 5 points in speaking (to 55).

The bottom line at here is that it is your ability in English. You should consider what is your strength and weakness. And can you improve your weakness? It could take you a considerable amount of time and effort to improve your English especially pronunciation and fluency. There is no shortcut in learning English. Those secure high scores actually have very good background in English.
There a app to test the pronunciation for apple and android. As for the rest, it all comes by practice. PTE-A is not that hard and high scores are achievable as compared to IELTS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like what David said E2Language is the best way to practice not only for speaking but also all components. They provide you with a templates for speaking which you can use for speaking. I did the same exact thing of writing down the template before speaking timer starts Please do not hesitate to spend a few hundred bucks as it will help to clear the PTE hurdle quickly.
Hi Siva,

Thanks for replying!

Yes, I did sign up for e2language. The thing is that the tutors said my english could get me the score as my pronunciation is there. And my fluency has been consistent throughout.

What do I need to look for when I practise (especially Speaking)? For now, I don't know what went wrong hence the difficulty in understanding where to improve.

Appreciate your help!

Gosemore

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Gosemore,

Yes, the oral fluency and pronunciation are the key to the speaking component. Also, if you can, try to revise the speaking component in a test format (i.e., mock test). At the same time, you need to record. Have a look and I'm pretty sure you can certainly improve from there.

I used to study in Singapore as well and hence, have this "singlish" accent but I managed to get 79!

Best,

David
Hi David,

The Singlish accent can be taken out quite easily for me so I have no issue with that. I can adjust pretty well from that. Not knowing what went wrong can be frustrating.

Any advise like what do I need to look for when I practise (especially speaking)? For now, I don't know what went wrong hence the difficulty in understanding where to improve.

Appreciate your help!

Gosemore

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi David,

The Singlish accent can be taken out quite easily for me so I have no issue with that. I can adjust pretty well from that. Not knowing what went wrong can be frustrating.

Any advise like what do I need to look for when I practise (especially speaking)? For now, I don't know what went wrong hence the difficulty in understanding where to improve.

Appreciate your help!

Gosemore

Hi Gosemore,

I remembered on my first attempt, I read something wrong in Read Aloud or said something wrong in describe image. That causes me to stumble a little bit. Because of that, it "hurts" the oral fluency as well and partly your pronunciation due to nervousness.

I suggest you to keep your confidence up especially when you realised you make something wrong. For describe image and retell lecture, it will be good to have a template. I wrote these templates before even starting my PTE test.

One last thing, make sure you click next after you finish speaking rather than wait for 3 seconds. Other people have claimed that they lose some marks because of this silly mistake.

All the best and let me know if you need any other help!

Best,

David

·
Registered
170 Posts
Don't stop talking and don't use filler words. I'm a native english speaker but on my first speaking practice test I did really poorly because I didn't know what to do. I watched the tutorials listed above and it really helped. Focus on speaking clearly and concisely and use the whole time, stopping just a second or so before the time runs out. If you don't know what to say talk about something unrelated, you'll still get most of the points as long as you're clear and concise. I made something completely up for a couple parts and got a 90 still.
Actually, you can use filler words. Pronunciation and Oral Fluency are more important than the content. As long you include some content, you can use fillers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Here Im going to write what worked for myself.
Ive faced PTE 4 times and 4th time I was able to score 85 for Speaking .

All other times my speaking score was like 55, 48 , 61 something.

*There is no way you can improve your pronunciation in such a short time*, the only thing u could do is improve is ur "FLUENCY" .This worked for me.

I ve spoken during the exam in such a fluent manner with fast rate. But was able to maintain the same speed for all of the answers.

Give priority for highest marking areas such as - Describe Img: , Retell lec: , Read aloud.

I did DI for 15 to 20 seconds (but covered main points with the conclusion) and did Retell for - 30 seconds

My pronunciation was 52, but Oral fluency was 90.
So this way I easily scored 85.

Try it by your self.Do not forget it's simply a computer.Give it away what it wants you will succeed.
human brain >Computer :)
All the best mate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, Here Im going to write what worked for myself.
Ive faced PTE 4 times and 4th time I was able to score 85 for Speaking .

All other times my speaking score was like 55, 48 , 61 something.

*There is no way you can improve your pronunciation in such a short time*, the only thing u could do is improve is ur "FLUENCY" .This worked for me.

I ve spoken during the exam in such a fluent manner with fast rate. But was able to maintain the same speed for all of the answers.

Give priority for highest marking areas such as - Describe Img: , Retell lec: , Read aloud.

I did DI for 15 to 20 seconds (but covered main points with the conclusion) and did Retell for - 30 seconds

My pronunciation was 52, but Oral fluency was 90.
So this way I easily scored 85.

Try it by your self.Do not forget it's simply a computer.Give it away what it wants you will succeed.
human brain >Computer :)
All the best mate.
Hi,

That was pretty impressive doing DI in 15-20 seconds. How did you manage to do that? How many main points did you give?

I thought if you speak fast, the computer would not be able to catch what you are talking about.

Best Regards,
Gosemore

1 - 20 of 25 Posts