Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am in the UK with "exceptional assurance" due to the pandemic, been here over a year, but I don't have a real visa (I did recently apply). So I am here legally, but I wonder how I can go about renting a house, because I don't have a visa yet? Or would the fact that I am not illegal be sufficient even if I don't have a visa? Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Nothing to stop you renting a place, except that the landlords and/or agencies will want to know about your status in the UK, and it will be up to them as to whether they rent to you.
They might want additional deposits.
Surely your exceptional assurance won't be lasting for much longer - there are few restrictions now to flying to most places.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Surely your exceptional assurance won't be lasting for much longer - there are few restrictions now to flying to most places.
Thanks. I recently applied for a visa because exceptional assurance expired, but no decision yet. How do you manage to find the landlords who are not as picky? I am looking on Gumtree, where might be a better place to look?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks. I recently applied for a visa because exceptional assurance expired, but no decision yet. How do you manage to find the landlords who are not as picky? I am looking on Gumtree, where might be a better place to look?
Landlords in England and Wales are required to verify that you are legally living in the UK. You should probably first determine whether you can provide any of the necessary documents to prove this or concentrate your search for properties in Scotland (Google Right to Rent).

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Brilliant Sunshine, I just googled that, I guess Wales also doesn't use the "Right to Rent" law? Right to Rent policy in Scotland and Wales successfully challenged | Equality and Human Rights Commission
The above case was challenged by HO in 2020 and the HO prevailed. Right to rent rule 'justified' finds UK appeal court

Regardless of 'human rights' and 'right to rent law,' your immigration status is going to be a major factor in whether someone will rent to you.
As it stands you cannot work in the UK - being unemployed would surely be the first obstacle one would come across when renting.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Your potential landlord would need to request a manual check from the Home Office to show that you have the right to rent: Right to rent

Do be aware though that unless you're already a tenant, many landlords will just refuse to rent to you if you can't provide documentation up front. They don't want to risk being fined/imprisoned

Reactions: jamesrobertslc

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Thank you CO. What do people do in these situations, where they can't easily rent?
You've been in the UK for over a year. Where do you live now? You either continue there or you return to your home country.
How would you intend to pay the rent? - you can't work. First major red flag for any landlord .....

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I agree with Crawford here. Whilst you are legally allowed to rent as a visitor (including if you were given Exceptional Assurance as a visitor), almost every landlord is going to do an employment and/or credit check to ensure you have the income required to pay rent. You won't be able to provide either. As far as "what do people usually do in these situations" - It is definitely not usual to be a visitor for longer than 6 months. I think your situation is unusual enough that you're going to find a lot of difficulty here without much personal testimony to help you. You could let a short-term rental like Air BnB, but I highly doubt you will be able to enter into a rental agreement.

What visa did you recently apply for?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you CO. What do people do in these situations, where they can't easily rent?
Best stopgap remedy until obtaining the usual visa can be to become a lodger instead tenant of someone which entail considerably milder checks. A resident landlords or lead tenant is usually persuaded into agreeing with few explanations & assurance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts